Sun protection

Old September 2nd 06, 05:46 AM
Sunburnt Sunburnt is offline
Junior Member

Question Sun protection

Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5 inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my face.
Old September 2nd 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

Default Sun protection

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 05:46:06 +0100, Sunburnt
wrote:

Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

Balaclava or spf 50 lotion.
Old September 2nd 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Artoi

In article ,
Sunburnt wrote:

Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

Put on those sun block lotion! And if it's only recreational/fitness
riding, then consider only ride very early in the morning or late in the
afternoon.
Old September 2nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeanne

Sunburnt wrote:
Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

Look for "Flap Hats" to put under your helmet. These hats have a visor
in front and neck protection in back.

See
http://www.coolibar.com/flaphats.htm...ap&versio n=1
Old September 2nd 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

Dump the helmet; it's not going to do you any good anyway. Wear a
high-number sun-block creme; and one of those foreign-legion-type
cloth hats, the ones that have the flaps for which you are looking.

Old September 2nd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Sunburnt wrote:
Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

the lower picture in this article suggests a product might exist

http://bicyclemackay.org.au/Media/fi...06BikeWeek.jpg

Old September 4th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chris BeHanna

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 06:46:06 +0100, Sunburnt wrote:

Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

I just put sunscreen on before going out on a sunny day, including face,
neck, and (many people will forget this) ears (and behind the ears). So
far it works just fine for me, though I can admit some desire for a Cool
Max cycling cap to put on under the helmet.

At some point, I'm going to have to start putting it on top of my head.

:-/

--
Chris BeHanna

Old September 4th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
H M Leary

In article ,
Chris BeHanna wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 06:46:06 +0100, Sunburnt wrote:

Does anyone know if anyone makes cycling helmets with added sun
protection. I'm having my second basal cell carcinoma removed and I'm
afraid to get back on my bikes. I'm looking for something with a 3-5
inch sunvisor in front, back and on the sides! I know it sounds funny
and not very aerodynamic but I don't want anything else cut off of my
face.

I just put sunscreen on before going out on a sunny day, including face,
neck, and (many people will forget this) ears (and behind the ears). So
far it works just fine for me, though I can admit some desire for a Cool
Max cycling cap to put on under the helmet.

At some point, I'm going to have to start putting it on top of my head.

:-/

Beat you to that allready, Chris...

Nobody has mentioned that marvelous British invention...
the Pith Helmet!

Works great as long as you do'nt speak with a lisp...

HAND

Eye Protection Dave UK 5 May 26th 06 01:55 PM
arm and leg protection Rickey Unicycling 1 August 14th 05 04:50 PM
In the News: Bicycle makers plead for protection Jason Spaceman Techniques 10 June 30th 05 09:17 AM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
eye protection question onewheeldave Unicycling 6 October 26th 03 12:14 AM