OT rant aargh!

Old September 24th 03, 11:09 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Default OT rant aargh!

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
t...
Shaun Rimmer said...

Gee, I thought you were the one who didn't take things seriously. I
guess that only applies when you aren't on your soap box.

'Copout'.

Shaun aRe You cannot define me by any one of my actions or attitudes.

Old September 24th 03, 11:32 AM
Kathleen

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
"spademan o---[) *" wrote in message

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Snip

Same with my Wife, Kath - she hated that her slightly younger brother

got

do all this cool stuff with his mates, and she didn't, or worse still,

had

to stay home and wash the dishes. Hey, she turned out great regardless,

and

certainly is not a 'soft girly' woman, if you will - Kath is Kath, and

fully

definable in no other way.

Yeah, but you still make her do all the dishes right?

It's a common misconception that whips were invented for animals.

True. And Shaun's got the welts to prove it.

Kathleen

Old September 24th 03, 02:11 PM
Shaun Rimmer

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Shaun Rimmer wrote:
"spademan o---[) *" wrote in

message

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Snip

Same with my Wife, Kath - she hated that her slightly younger brother

got

do all this cool stuff with his mates, and she didn't, or worse still,

had

to stay home and wash the dishes. Hey, she turned out great regardless,

and

certainly is not a 'soft girly' woman, if you will - Kath is Kath, and

fully

definable in no other way.

Yeah, but you still make her do all the dishes right?

It's a common misconception that whips were invented for animals.

True.

Yes, Whipp was her maiden name.......

And Shaun's got the welts to prove it.

I don't welt.

Kathleen

Maybe, but TF you ain't my Kathleen ',;~P

Shaun aRe

Old September 24th 03, 03:55 PM
Terri Alvillar

Default Long OT Reply to OT Reply to OT Rant

Tlacatecatl wrote in message .giganews.com...
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:39:52 -0700, Super Slinky wrote:

Ditto for schizophrenia. Does this demonstrate that schizophrenia isn't
a disorder?

One of the classic arguments against a biological basis for homosexual
orientation ...
Other research that I cited indicated that genetic factors, prenatal stress
and various drugs influence the development of the sexual regions of the
vertebrate brain.

Right. Blame it on your mother. Typical mountain biker: "It's not my fault."

Terri Alvillar
Old September 24th 03, 05:54 PM
Spider

Super Slinky wrote in message et...

I just have a longer memory. Bigots have used accusations of mental
illness to demonize their victims throughout history:

http://academic.udayton.edu/health/0...s/mental01.htm

You're no different.

Wow, it didn't take you long to poison the well, did it Mr. Fallacy?

Ah, the irony - *you* trying to give someone a logic lesson.

LOL.

Spider
Old September 25th 03, 12:27 AM
Shawn Curry

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

"Super Slinky" wrote in message
t...

Shaun Rimmer said...

Gee, I thought you were the one who didn't take things seriously. I
guess that only applies when you aren't on your soap box.

'Copout'.

Shaun aRe You cannot define me by any one of my actions or attitudes.

I wrote that one down and put it on the 'fridge.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old September 25th 03, 04:15 AM
Super Slinky

Tlacatecatl said...

You're confusing performance with potential. Both homosexuals and
heterosexuals have the ability to reproduce, but some of both choose not to
do so.

Ah, so now it's a choice. You are changing your story. You said that
homosexual orientation had a biological basis and wasn't psychological.
Or did you think I wouldn't remember? You would have made a good
sleazeball lawyer.

You're confusing sexual orientation with sexual behavior. Anal sex is not
unique to homosexuals, and likewise many homosexuals do not engage in anal
sex.

Define 'many'. No doubt you left that one deliberately vague because you
just made it up. If you think most women are eager to have anal sex,
then you watch too much porn.

Once again the proportions may differ for any particular psychological
disorder, but overall the incidence is the same for both.

There are no significant differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals in
emotional stability or rate of psychiatric illness (Reiss, 1980).

Homosexuals do not differ from heterosexuals on measures of psychological
health (Rothblum, Solomon, & Albee, 1986).

It all depends on the studies you look at.

Sandfort TG, de Graaf R, Bijl RV, et al. Same-sex sexual behavior and
psychiatric disorders: findings from the Netherlands Mental Health
Survey and Incidence Study (NEMESIS). Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58(1):85-
91.

Bipolar disorder: 7.27:1 (ratio of homosexual incidence compared to
heterosexual)

Obsessive-compulsive disorder: 6.20:1

Anxiety disorder: 2.61:1

Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ, Beautrais AL. Is sexual orientation related to
mental health problems and suicidality in young people? Arch Gen
Psychiatry 1999;56(10):876-80.

Depression: 4.0:1

Substance abuse: 1.9:1

Multiple disorders: 5.9:1

Suicide attempts: 6.2:1

Lots more is available.

You're claiming that at least 40% of the male population has been sexually
molested? This is nonsense, unless you consider molestation to be a coach's
pat on the butt.

40% of victims. You really are thick, aren't you?

I'll see what I can do. But remember that according to you homosexuals have a
higher rate of mental illness, so the men in the white uniforms will be
taking you away to a place where you will get to be with more homosexuals.

That's one thing you got right.

You're giving me too much credit. The conclusions I've presented are not
mine, they're the conclusions of the worldwide scientific community. But in
any case, good enough.

I'm not giving you any credit at all. The worldwide scientific community
isn't as unanimous as you claim. There are still some scientists with
more letters behind their names than you or me who say the same things I
do, in spite of the piling on and ridicule they receive from the PC
herd. See the NARTH organization for example. What the scientific
community has done is remove homosexuality from the list of
psychological disorders, and that decision reeks of politics . Some
therapists still treat homosexuality as an illness, and some of them
claim considerable success.

If you are a scientist, you are quite the hack. Even if there was the
consensus you claim, no scientist worthy of that name so blindly accepts
the prevailing orthodoxy as you do. Progress is made by questioning the
status quo. When it comes to medical issues, we hear about a new ground
breaking study every week that debunks what we thought we knew, until it
too is debunked by something else. Ten years ago we were all going to
get skinny by cutting all the fat out of our diet. When I told some of
my obese female co-workers that carbohydrates could also get you fat,
they all but laughed in my face. Now the fashion is to forget about fat
and cut out the carbs. Of course, unbiased studies on homosexuality will
be all but non-existent, because now the scientific questions are
inseparable from politics. But someday when enough of them have dropped
dead, or there is some other sort of fall from grace, the pendulum will
swing the other way and they myth that homosexuality is normal will be
blown away like the puff of smoke that it is.

Now lets drop it and get back to bikes.
Old September 25th 03, 04:30 AM
Super Slinky

Shaun Rimmer said...

You gonna try and lame me to death now? Heheheheheh.......

Why? You do that yourself.
Old September 25th 03, 09:02 AM
Tlacatecatl

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:15:41 -0700, Super Slinky wrote:

Ah, so now it's a choice. You are changing your story. You said that
homosexual orientation had a biological basis and wasn't psychological.
Or did you think I wouldn't remember? You would have made a good
sleazeball lawyer.

If you're misrepresenting what I've said because you're still confused about
the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior that's one
thing, but if you're deliberately misrepresenting what I've said that's a
very desperate act.

The research indicates that sexual orientation is not a choice, but that it
is a consequence of our neural structure and organization at birth. Sexual
behavior, on the other hand, consists of actions in which we engage by
choice.

Homosexuals and heterosexuals are both capable of producing offspring. There
are homosexuals who do in fact choose to reproduce, just as other homosexuals
choose not to reproduce. Some heterosexual couples also choose not to
reproduce. You said:

Sex is a reproductive function, so at the very least homosexual
orientation results in impairment, complete dysfunction in fact, of the
reproductive function.

That statement is false, as evidenced by the fact that there are homosexuals
who reproduce.

Define 'many'. No doubt you left that one deliberately vague because you
just made it up. If you think most women are eager to have anal sex,
then you watch too much porn.

The number doesn't matter. You correctly pointed out that anal sex incurs
greater health risks. Anal sex is a behavior in which some homosexuals and
heterosexuals choose to partake, and other homosexuals and heterosexuals
choose not to partake. "Anal sex" is not synonymous with "homosexual
orientation".

It all depends on the studies you look at.

snip results for specific disorders

You may not realize it but these studies are in agreement with what I've been
saying. For any particular disorder, homosexuals and heterosexuals may
represent different proportions of affected individuals. Likewise there are
some disorders for which females are afflicted more than males, and vice
versa, and the same is true for other characteristics such as age, race,
socioeconomic status, and so on. But overall, the incidence of psychological
disorder is the same for homosexuals and heterosexuals. The findings you
presented do not negate the findings I presented.

I'm not giving you any credit at all. The worldwide scientific community
isn't as unanimous as you claim. There are still some scientists with
more letters behind their names than you or me who say the same things I
do, in spite of the piling on and ridicule they receive from the PC
herd.

remainder snipped

You're back to the conspiracy theory. There are still people who believe the
earth is flat, that we never landed on the moon, that black people aren't
smart enough to play quarterback in the NFL, that women don't have what it
takes to be corporate executives, that Bigfoot and Elvis are alive and well
and working at a 7-11 in in Yazoo City, Mississippi, and on and on.

Search the internet and you can find people who believe almost anything. In
particular there are researchers affiliated with organizations like James
Dobson's Focus on the Family and Jerry Falwell's Liberty University who still
refuse to believe the thousands of research results like the ones I sampled
in the short bibliography I presented here. But decades of research on sexual
orientation have convinced the overwhelming majority of researchers in this
area that sexual orientation is biologically determined. There is no other
hypothesis consistent with the research.

As you say there will continue to be new research in this field. But it will
continue to be true that prenatal stress and certain drugs increase the
probablility of homosexual offspring in both humans and animals, that
homosexual orientation follows genetic lines, even in siblings separated at
birth and raised separately, that there are physiological differences between
the brains of heterosexuals and homosexuals, etc.

You have yet to address any of these results.

New research will continue to clarify _how_ sexual orientation is determined
by genetic factors and prenatal events, but no amount of new research will
make the existing findings go away.

If you have deeply held fundamental religious beliefs which tell you that
homosexuality is wrong, I respect that. If you were molested by a homosexual
as a child I can understand that would have great anger and hatred directed
at homosexuals. But if so you have let your religious beliefs and/or your
emotions cloud your reasoning ability. I have compassion for you, but it is
clear at this point that you are either unable to understand the evidence, or
that you are choosing to ignore it. In any case I have finished with this
discussion.

Tlacatecatl Tlacaxipe

Old September 25th 03, 09:08 AM
Tlacatecatl

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 7:55:07 -0700, Terri Alvillar wrote:

Right. Blame it on your mother.

Since humans are diploid organisms I might have to blame my father as well.

Typical mountain biker: "It's not my
fault."

Upon further consideration I think you're right. I'm also going to take full
blame for my height, my brown eyes, my stunning good looks, and the birthmark
on my right foot.

Tlacatecatl Tlacaxipe

Cyclist rant psycholist General 96 June 6th 04 02:02 AM
Further to Claire Petersky's rant psycholist General 34 June 5th 04 01:24 PM
OT (sorta) - UPS Rant voodoo Mountain Biking 20 August 15th 03 05:12 PM