Why is Shimano so hated by some?

Old November 29th 03, 04:40 AM
Evan Evans

Default Why is Shimano so hated by some?

As a frequent visitor to this group. I've noticed that there are a few
posters who use this as a platform to steer people against the use of
Shimano components. What's wrong with Shimano?
Old November 29th 03, 05:07 AM
Matt O'Toole

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
m...

As a frequent visitor to this group. I've noticed that there are a few
posters who use this as a platform to steer people against the use of
Shimano components. What's wrong with Shimano?

They're like, "the man," dude, and they're like, keepin' us all down...

Matt O.

Old November 29th 03, 05:48 AM
S. Anderson

"Dan Brussee" wrote in message
There are those who are always against the "big guy". Doesnt really
matter if they make a decent product or not. Same with Microsoft. They
will always have those who bash them - just because of who they are,
and not based on any real comparisons. Not to say that ALL Shimano
stuff is gold, but a lot of it is very good.

Yup, and usually the prices are very reasonable. You can get pretty decent
stuff (freehubs, hubs, cantilevers etc.) for not much money. Certainly when
compared to the aftermarket bonanza in mountain biking a few years back.
People would pay double for aftermarket stuff when I honestly think the
Shimano stuff is perfectly fine for the majority of riders. Still, it's
nice to have alternatives. And you have to be a rocket scientist to get an
STI lever back together!! ;-)

Cheers,

Scott..

Old November 29th 03, 09:30 AM
Eagle Jackson

The biggest problem with Shimano and the reason they are so disliked
by some is that they're successful. It's definitely a topic that
arouses passion and can even reflect one's political ideologies.
Old November 29th 03, 11:43 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Tim McNamara wrote:

Suntour would be
perhaps the OS/2 of the bicycle world- late and great. ;-)

And still running a hell of a lot of ATMs throughout the world!

Old November 29th 03, 12:58 PM
Jokke

Den Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:30:01 -0600 skrev Tim McNamara:

Shimano is like the Microsoft of the bicycle world, the difference
being that Shimano products are reliably good. Campagnolo is the
Apple of the bicycling world- their products arguably work better and
last longer, but there is a premium to be paid. Suntour would be
perhaps the OS/2 of the bicycle world- late and great. ;-)

Where is Linux? I would like to see some free bike products ;-)