bike joke

Old August 22nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

Default bike joke

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS
the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of a
canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the
curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those
big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling
and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch
him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering.
Three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing;
passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as
we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the
throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome,
but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the
last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him.
Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to
keep up.

Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me
for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched
out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more
than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he
passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for
that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road,
where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I
had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of
the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits
of britiron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard
in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They
really make a great bicycle...

Old August 22nd 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 22, 3:04 pm, "smn" wrote:

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard
in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They
really make a great bicycle...

In my mind, you accomplished the feat on a DL-1.

Old August 22nd 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jim Flom

"smn" wrote...

And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really
make a great bicycle...

Everybody knows... "It's not about the bike."

Nicely done.

Old August 22nd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
BOING!!

"smn" wrote in message
I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS
the guy.

POTY

Old August 23rd 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
me

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:04:27 +0000, smn wrote:

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard
in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They
really make a great bicycle...

I *think* this was meant as a joke when originally written, but I could
see it being true.
Old August 23rd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
rick b

Nice going...
It's my personal preference to ride more slowly and protect my
valuable skin....

Old August 23rd 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Hetchins52

On Aug 22, 1:04 pm, "smn" wrote:
I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS
the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of a
canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the
curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

There are sections of the Livermore - Mines Rd - Mt. Hamilton road in
the San Antonio Valley here in the East (SF) Bay where similar
conditions obtain. The Harleys are too low and too wide -- They simply
cannot lean over far enough to outrun a cyclist without scraping pegs
or exhaust. I don't think you could pass one of the Japanese or
European sport bikes, though.

Old August 24th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

Man, you've got some stones on you. Passing a motorcycle around a
curve? Whew.

Whenever I descend a fast, curvy hill, I'm always worried about some
bozo straying into my lane from the opposite direction. If there's a
vehicle in front of me, then I use it as a kind of shield.

There is one hill around here with a large-radius switchback that has
excellent visibility. Many cyclists routinely cruise around the curve
at anywhere from 30-40+mph. Lots of cars slow below 30 for the same
curve. They'll zip past me going down the straightaway, then I'll
catch them in the turn. I've never had the nerve to try and pass one,
though.

- JR

A bike related joke Craig Brossman Mountain Biking 10 March 26th 06 12:59 PM
Bike magazine joke. (I'm a newbie, and I don't get it....) Hell and High Water Marketplace 9 August 14th 05 01:41 AM
A joke... Bill Sornson General 2 June 1st 05 02:12 AM
Easy cash... fact and not a joke! - BUY THAT BIKE. scuppanet Marketplace 0 May 9th 05 11:10 PM