Update: New Bike for Newbie

Old March 21st 05, 11:11 PM
kramer

Default Update: New Bike for Newbie

I have narrowed it down to the Trek 7300FX or 7500FX. Most likely, the
7300FX is all I need, but I was hoping someone could spell out the component
difference between the 2 bikes. Unfortunately, the local bike shop that
carries Trek wasn't very helpful and before I get over to another shop I
want to have my homework done. The main diff I can see are listed below
with the 7300fx first and the 7500fx second. The price difference is $200
so money really isn't an issue other than the fact that I don't like to
needlessly spend it if it is just overkill. And in case you didn't catch my
earlier post, this bike is for mostly street/bike path trips under 20 miles
for exercise mainly and enjoyment also. Thanks.

PART 7300fx 7500fx

shifters Alivio Deore

Front der. c102 Deore

Rear der. Deore Shimano LX

Crankset t303 Bont. Select
48/38/28 48/36/26

Cassette sram 850 sram 950
11-32, 8 speed 11-34, 9 speed

Pedals Alloy ATB Wellgo sigleside clipless

wheels alloy fornt Bontrager select
deore rear hub

tires Bontrager invert Bontrager race Lite
Hardcase
Hardcase

Fork Triple butted cro-moly Aluminum

Brakes Promax forged v Shimano 420 v

seat Bontrager sport Bontrager race

Old March 22nd 05, 12:00 AM
jj

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:11:34 -0800, "kramer" wrote:

I have narrowed it down to the Trek 7300FX or 7500FX. Most likely, the
7300FX is all I need, but I was hoping someone could spell out the component
difference between the 2 bikes. Unfortunately, the local bike shop that
carries Trek wasn't very helpful and before I get over to another shop I
want to have my homework done. The main diff I can see are listed below
with the 7300fx first and the 7500fx second. The price difference is $200
so money really isn't an issue other than the fact that I don't like to
needlessly spend it if it is just overkill. And in case you didn't catch my
earlier post, this bike is for mostly street/bike path trips under 20 miles
for exercise mainly and enjoyment also. Thanks.

The 7500FX for 2005 has a couple upgraded components from last year's
model. The 2004 model had an sram 850 11-32 8 speed, and a 48/38/28. This
seems just fine to me. The 9 speed is nice, though. ;-)

The 'Bontrager Select Race Lite' wheels are not needed on a 25lb bike.
Regular 32 spoke wheels are just fine.

My brother has the 7200fx which is supposedly one step down from the 7300fx
and he likes it just fine.

Take them both on a test ride and go through all the gears, stand up to
pedal, try to ride up a hill, test the brakes for smoothness and quickness
of braking.

The biggest significant difference I see is the 'cro-moly' front fork vs
the aluminum front fork.

Shimano LX rear der could be considered significantly better than Deore
deraileurs. That's what I'd focus on during the test ride. Is the shifting
quiet and smooth on both? If even a little better on the 7500fx, I'd spend
the money to get them. (they are upgradeable, too. Deore is not).

If you expect having a nice bike would increase your mileage, then go ahead
and pay the $200 and get the 7500fx.

Good luck,

jj

Old March 22nd 05, 12:41 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I have narrowed it down to the Trek 7300FX or 7500FX. Most likely, the
7300FX is all I need, but I was hoping someone could spell out the
component
difference between the 2 bikes. Unfortunately, the local bike shop that
carries Trek wasn't very helpful and before I get over to another shop I
want to have my homework done. The main diff I can see are listed below
with the 7300fx first and the 7500fx second. The price difference is $200
so money really isn't an issue other than the fact that I don't like to
needlessly spend it if it is just overkill. And in case you didn't catch
my
earlier post, this bike is for mostly street/bike path trips under 20
miles
for exercise mainly and enjoyment also. Thanks.

Biggest differences are in the wheels (lighter weight and look way-cool) and
fork (aluminum, quite a bit lighter than the chrome-moly). If you get into
steeper terrain, the slightly-lower (both a smaller front and larger rear
cog) gearing on the 7500FX could come in handy.

Also, the wheels on the 7500FX might be a bit more versatile if you get into
longer rides, since they'll accept narrower tires than the wheels on the
7300FX.

But both bikes are equivalent values; you get pretty much what you pay for
in either case.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 22nd 05, 01:13 AM
Jeff Starr

wrote:

I have narrowed it down to the Trek 7300FX or 7500FX. Most likely, the
7300FX is all I need, but I was hoping someone could spell out the component
difference between the 2 bikes. Unfortunately, the local bike shop that
carries Trek wasn't very helpful and before I get over to another shop I
want to have my homework done. The main diff I can see are listed below
with the 7300fx first and the 7500fx second. The price difference is $200
so money really isn't an issue other than the fact that I don't like to
needlessly spend it if it is just overkill. And in case you didn't catch my
earlier post, this bike is for mostly street/bike path trips under 20 miles
for exercise mainly and enjoyment also. Thanks.

Hi, get the one that excites you the most. The one that screams ride
me. If money is not an important consideration, get the 7500FX. If you
get the other one, you will always wonder if you should have gotten
the better model, so just get it;-)

As I'm sure you have been told, make sure that the fit is right. Then
go have some fun.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old March 22nd 05, 07:50 PM
Bill H.

Well, for what you want to use it for, I think either would work fine.

That being said, I would go with the 7500 because of the aluminum fork
and clipless pedals, along with the Deore shifters. That's assuming
you like the handling and ride of both bikes equally.

It might not be that big of a deal if you're only looking at going for
shorter rides, but you never know what you might want to do later on,
and you might be happy later on that you bought the one with the
better/lighter components (and clipless pedals). Also the better
components might bring more if you decide to sell the bike down the
line for a road bike or something else.

Either way, you should come out all right.

-Bill H.

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Another update on my winter bike search Preston Crawford Techniques 4 December 29th 04 09:11 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM