Planked Bridges

Old November 10th 05, 04:19 AM
Poiter

Default Planked Bridges

Has anyone any information about roads authorities laying rubber
conveyor matting over longitudinally planked bridges?
Somewhere I have read that it has been done temporarily for Big Rides
and such.
Has it been done permanently anywhere?

There's an issue with the Naas River bridge on the Fitz's Challenge
route (ACT) that I am trying to sort out before the 20/11.

Thanks
Pete Heal

--
Poiter

Old November 10th 05, 07:03 AM
Bleve

Poiter wrote:
Has anyone any information about roads authorities laying rubber
conveyor matting over longitudinally planked bridges?
Somewhere I have read that it has been done temporarily for Big Rides
and such.
Has it been done permanently anywhere?

Not permanently that I'm aware of, but we used to staple old carpet to
a plank bridge for the De Bortoli Tour, and the same thing gets done
for the SunTour.

Then the bridge (on the DB Tour) got destroyed, and rebuilt!

Old November 10th 05, 07:31 AM
flyingdutch

Bleve Wrote:

Not permanently that I'm aware of, but we used to staple old carpet to
a plank bridge for the De Bortoli Tour, and the same thing gets done
for the SunTour.

Then the bridge (on the DB Tour) got destroyed, and rebuilt!

Beige, I hope!

gee those pro's have it soft! (not)

Poiter, if it's for an organised ride or a regular cycling route it
would be worth reporting to relevant council and also getting involved
with their 'works' head or better yet their 'Liabilities and claims
officer (what a sad world we live in where most counils actually employ
such a role...) and mention you have recently heard of a friend having a
spill on that bridge and was wondering who his/her lawyer should send
the letter-of-claim to!
Then get someoe else to write in and request said treatment or better
yet stand up at council meeting and watch the ensuing scatter-dance

--
flyingdutch

Old November 10th 05, 08:58 AM
cfsmtb

flyingdutch Wrote:
Beige, I hope!

gee those pro's have it soft! (not)

Poiter, if it's for an organised ride or a regular cycling route it
would be worth reporting to relevant council and also getting involved
with their 'works' head or better yet their 'Liabilities and claims
officer (what a sad world we live in where most counils actually employ
such a role...) and mention you have recently heard of a friend having a
spill on that bridge and was wondering who his/her lawyer should send
the letter-of-claim to!
Then get someoe else to write in and request said treatment or better
yet stand up at council meeting and watch the ensuing scatter-dance

Ahh, yes, the convenient 'human-sacrifice' ploy!

--
cfsmtb

Old November 10th 05, 11:03 AM
alison_b

Poiter Wrote:
Has anyone any information about roads authorities laying rubber
conveyor matting over longitudinally planked bridges?
Somewhere I have read that it has been done temporarily for Big Rides
and such.
Has it been done permanently anywhere?

There's an issue with the Naas River bridge on the Fitz's Challenge
route (ACT) that I am trying to sort out before the 20/11.

Thanks
Pete Heal

I'm not sure if this is useful, but I know that at the Pt Macquarie 1/2
Ironman recently a rubber matting of some sort was rolled out over a
speed bump (some dodgy brickwork with quite aggressive ridges in it).
Perhaps something like this would be ok for the ride? It was rolled up
and taken away after though; certainly not a permanent thing.

cheers,
Ali

--
alison_b

Old November 11th 05, 12:53 AM
Gemma_k

"Poiter" wrote in message

Has anyone any information about roads authorities laying rubber
conveyor matting over longitudinally planked bridges?
Somewhere I have read that it has been done temporarily for Big Rides
and such.
Has it been done permanently anywhere?

It's been done permanently on the Victor Harbor causeway with conveyer belt
rubber (in SA). This was done for the horse-drawn tram thing, to make it
easier for the horses.
Not a good idea for a permanent installation as far as a cycle route in
concerned, as rubber and rubber don't grip when wet - I would not be
recommending it as it would be even worse a hazard, depending on the gaps
between the planks.
Other treatments I've used for longitudinal decks a Remove all deck
spikes, and jack the planks tight together again (so there's no gaps between
them caused by timber shrinkage), or, fill up the gaps with a proprietary
gap sealer (have used Sikaflex), or lay another deck on top!
Hmm this is starting to sound like work!

Cheers
Gemma