deformed allen keys

Old April 20th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice W

Default deformed allen keys

Chaps

I decided to change the flat handlebars on the racer I got last year
(http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html) and now find,
that the allen keys I used have deformed in the process of tightening
the nuts that hold the handlebars on, and can't be used anymore (with
the handlebars still loose).

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

Old April 20th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJP

"Maurice W" wrote in message
Chaps

I decided to change the flat handlebars on the racer I got last year
(http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html) and now find,
that the allen keys I used have deformed in the process of tightening
the nuts that hold the handlebars on, and can't be used anymore (with
the handlebars still loose).

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

You must have some very poor "Allen keys", in my experience even relatively
cheap hex head wrenches are manufactured from very hard and tough material.

http://tinyurl.com/24rzpx

MJP

Old April 20th 07, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

MJP wrote:
"Maurice W" wrote in message
Chaps

I decided to change the flat handlebars on the racer I got last year
(http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html) and now find,
that the allen keys I used have deformed in the process of tightening
the nuts that hold the handlebars on, and can't be used anymore (with
the handlebars still loose).

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

You must have some very poor "Allen keys", in my experience even relatively
cheap hex head wrenches are manufactured from very hard and tough material.

http://tinyurl.com/24rzpx

Yeah - I've had more snap than deform. Them's is HARD.

BugBear
Old April 20th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

"Maurice W" wrote in message
Chaps

I decided to change the flat handlebars on the racer I got last year
(http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html) and now find,
that the allen keys I used have deformed in the process of tightening
the nuts that hold the handlebars on, and can't be used anymore (with
the handlebars still loose).

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

Yeah, yours must be made from recycled woolies BSOs.

Jc.

Old April 20th 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice W

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:27:36 +0100, "MJP"
wrote:

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

You must have some very poor "Allen keys", in my experience even relatively
cheap hex head wrenches are manufactured from very hard and tough material.

http://tinyurl.com/24rzpx

-ahem- probably got them in mfi flatpacks during the 80s, so they
would probably aspire to being poor! I'm off to B&Q to see what
they've got so that I can get out on the bike early tomorrow!

:-)

Old April 20th 07, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Maurice W wrote:
Chaps

I decided to change the flat handlebars on the racer I got last year
(http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html) and now find,
that the allen keys I used have deformed in the process of tightening
the nuts that hold the handlebars on, and can't be used anymore (with
the handlebars still loose).

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

Instead of cheese from your local cheese/pound/bike shop, get some made
chrome vanadium hardened steel. CR-V, for short. Much more durable but
still only about a quid for a set, amazingly. These are just bog standard
size and shape. You'll have to shop elswehere and pay a lot more if you
want good longer keys or ball-ended ones.

~PB

Old April 20th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

I scribbled:
Instead of cheese from your local cheese/pound/bike shop, get some
made chrome vanadium hardened steel. CR-V, for short. Much more
durable but still only about a quid for a set, amazingly. These are
just bog standard size and shape. You'll have to shop elswehere and
pay a lot more if you want good longer keys or ball-ended ones.

Link got lost in the edit:

.....quid for a set from www.mikedyason.com

~PB

Old April 20th 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Richard Bates

mb wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:03:56 +0100, Maurice W wrote:
Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

whispers Halfords. Professional tool range is pretty good.

Those found in the car section are cheaper than those found in the bike
section!
Old April 20th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
co10

"Maurice W" wrote in message
Chaps

I decided to change the flat handlebars on the racer I got last year
(http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html) and now find,
that the allen keys I used have deformed in the process of tightening
the nuts that hold the handlebars on, and can't be used anymore (with
the handlebars still loose).

Presumably I should be getting some extra-toughened allen keys?

It is worth keeping an eye on Aldi. I bought a set a couple of years ago,
have used them on bikes, motorbikes, cars, machinery at work and they are
still as good as new. At a couple of quid a set excellent value.

Bill

Old April 20th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
permajeo[_28_]

B & Q do some nice hex keys.

(Ellen MacArthur fan :-))

--
permajeo

Help! AXA SL7 keys lost... WibbleWobble UK 3 January 28th 07 06:02 PM
Help! AXA SL7 keys lost... WibbleWobble UK 0 January 27th 07 06:52 PM
Vision R40 Frame is Bent (deformed) Grande News Recumbent Biking 2 April 24th 06 06:02 AM
Rasiel - Keys to Seattle Jim S Rides 0 March 25th 06 08:44 PM
How many keys for Kryptonite? [email protected] General 14 September 23rd 05 02:00 AM