Paul Smith

Old December 17th 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
MrBitsy

Default Paul Smith

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:04:38 GMT, "MrBitsy" wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:43:24 GMT, "MrBitsy" wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

On 30 April I was knocked off my bike by a van turning right into
a parking space on the opposite side of the road. Traffic was
slow moving through Blackheath and I was passing this slow moving
traffic on the outside.

I had just passed a white van, who was not
signalling, when I was hit on the back of my head by his wing
mirror. I was thrown to the ground and slid across the tarmac to
come to rest at a bus stop on the opposite side. The driver
continued driving over my bike.

You were going quite fast then? Do you pass slow moving traffic on
the right hand side now?

I was passing on the right, and I was going slowly. WVM accelerated
hard into me while turning right to get into a parking bay on the
opposite side of the road.

You didn't answer the question - do you cycle down the right hand
side of slow moving traffic now?

Yes.

Ok, so your own experience tells you passing down the right hand side of
stationary traffic can be dangerous. So, what did you learn from your
accident and what do you do different when passing to the right of slow
moving traffic?

Other cyclists reading this, what will you now do when passing to the right
of slow moving traffic given you have read the above incident? How will your
method differ to lessen the risk of being knocked off, if a vehicle in the
queue pulls out??

--
MrBitsy

Paul Smith Tom Crispin UK 296 January 4th 08 08:58 AM
Paul Smith Tom Crispin UK 82 December 19th 07 08:12 PM