Conti Contact Security vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus cycle tires

Old February 24th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Conti Contact Security vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus cycle tires

Jay Bollyn wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...security.shtml

Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is

"Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
and shards on short stretches in the city."

How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

Thanks

I am quite happy with SM+ for Chicago city commuting. I hate flats, and I
don't get any.

As far as I am concerned (personally), this issue is closed.

Unless the tires are discontinued (e.g. Schwalbe City Jet), or moved to
production in a country that results in a significant drop in quality
(e.g. Tioga Comp Pool).

Old February 25th 08, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
datakoll

On Feb 24, 5:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
[...]

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

A Conti TT with thornproof tube beats a Schwalbe Marathon 8 days a
week.
compare the stats
Old February 25th 08, 03:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Andre Jute

On Feb 24, 10:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
[...]

And unless there is a significant price difference. Though the
recommended retail price is about the same for the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus and the Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase, from the discounters
the Bontrager was about 60 per cent the price the last time I looked.
As I have both and cannot for the life of me see any significant
difference, a 40 per cent price difference would have to feature in my
decision.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

Old February 25th 08, 04:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Feb 24, 8:09*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
I am quite happy with SM+ for Chicago city commuting. I hate flats, and I
don't get any.

As far as I am concerned (personally), this issue is closed.

And unless there is a significant price difference. Though the

recommended retail price is about the same for the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus and the Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase, from the discounters
the Bontrager was about 60 per cent the price the last time I looked.
As I have both and cannot for the life of me see any significant
difference, a 40 per cent price difference would have to feature in my
decision.

I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus on one of my TREK 520 bikes and
Bontrager Select K (with a kevlar strip inside) on the other. Both
have worn well with minimum flats. The Schwalbe's have gone about
10,000 miles with just two flats. The Bontrager rear tire wore out
more quickly than that but still wore longer than most tires, and with
only a couple flats. I'll replace the Schwalbes before my next long
ride this summer. I am not familiar with the Satellite Elite
Hardcase. How does it compare with the Select K?

I did not have good luck with thorn resistant tubes. Several of them
had stem failures.

Using a separate Kevlar lining with a thin tube wasn't good because
the sharp edge on the Kevlar caused flats. So I went to the Select
K. And then also the Schwalbe's after I had heard about them.
Old February 25th 08, 05:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Jay Bollyn wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
[...]

that happened to me; i used to like vittirio (?) Courier TTs. kevlar
belted, pretty bullet proof, durable and i liked the colors. out of
production it appears, wish i'd bought a few extra.
Old February 25th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Pete Biggs

Tom Anderson wrote:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...security.shtml

I note that the 26" version is only rated up to 58 psi, and they
recommend only 45 psi. That seems incredibly low for a road tyre.

Not for a *fat* road tyre. The ones with the 58 ratings are 1.75" and 47mm.
That's fat for "road" tyre. 58 psi will make them hard enough, missus.

Speed fans won't be interested in such heavy tyres anyway.

~PB

Old February 25th 08, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
datakoll

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...jsp?ssid=Tubes

would a nice boy like pablo battani steer you wrong?

i just recently discombobulated a spec nipple neck for several miles-
like 75-without streessing the rubber.

the specs are weight and carcass comparisons not price.
A TT is in a completely different and sportier class than a Marathon.
While a Marathon or Pasela or? commutes, the TT is GT, it's a
forgiving life saving tire made commute reliable with a thicker tube.
The Marathon/Messenger class are reliable but a hassle for directional
control or stability: A loser over quickly varying surfaces: tar sand
tar sand tar on the shoulder next to traffic. That fact leads to using
a sport tire such as a Conti TT/thornproof on the front

Tire liners allow slime to work correctly with a very close mating
surface the inner side of the tire's contac area cannot give. Fluid
flow presses outward from it's hole, sealing and preventing air
release.
Liners are destructive from overlap and side edge pressures on the
tube so periodic maybe 3-400 mile tube checks at hi pressures are
necessary avoiding unpleasant surprises. Good for touring or a Tour
singular.
Old February 25th 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Luke

In article
, TJ
wrote:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...security.shtml

Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is

"Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
and shards on short stretches in the city."

How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

Thanks

I've never ridden a Schwalbe and so can't directly compare the Conti
Contact Security's characteristics against it.

Still, my impression after almost a winter's season's worth of riding a
CCS, on the rear wheel only, has yielded these observations: the Conti
is heavy, harsh and has a noticeably higher rolling resistance (against
the other puncture resistant tire I've had extensive experience with:
Panaracer Pasela with Tourguard). My experience corroborates Conti's
assertion that the Contact Security does not make for comfortable
riding. No flats on the Conti though, but the Pasela on the front
hasn't had a flat either.

I opted for the Contis only after efforts of sourcing a set of
Marathons locally proved fruitless -- they were a second choice to
begin with. If I could repeat the exercise I'd try harder to get my
hands on a set of Marathons instead.
Old February 25th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
datakoll

On Feb 25, 7:39*am, Luke wrote:
In article
, TJ

wrote:
[...]

hands on a set of Marathons instead.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=625

The Panaracer Pasela isnot a commuter's tire. The Pasela is a niche
market around the block tire for Sunday afternoons.
The Conti Security isn't harsh, it grips loose surfaces without
resorting to knobs, louvers and gearhackles. If it didn't grip then it
would be termed harsh. You see the distinction?
Old February 25th 08, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

datakoll wrote:

The Conti Security isn't harsh, it grips loose surfaces without
resorting to knobs, louvers and gearhackles. If it didn't grip then it
would be termed harsh. You see the distinction?

Errr, not really. To me, I'd take "harsh" as "not comfortable", nothing
to do with how it grips things. My rockboots grip rock magnificently
well, but they're harsh on my feet.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Schwalbe Marathon Plus - ouch dgk General 23 February 1st 08 01:58 PM
FS: Schwalbe Tires: Marathon 2006, 700 x 35 [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 8th 06 11:42 PM
Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR sothach UK 6 October 29th 05 07:15 PM
Better grip than schwalbe marathon slick? yoxi Techniques 6 December 7th 04 04:26 AM
Schwalbe Marathon XR: Yay or Nay? Brian UK 8 November 22nd 04 08:05 PM