Runner's Knee and Cycling

Old July 22nd 04, 06:03 PM
Running Bear

Default Runner's Knee and Cycling

A LRS person told me that my runner's knees are caused by imbalance in
strength between two upper-leg muscle groups, namely, quadricep and
hamstring.

If I complement my running with cycling, will it help?

Also, one burns about 100 cal per running mile. In cycling, is there
a similar ballpark caloric estimate (or chart of variables) per
cycling mile?

Thanks for your pointers!
Old July 22nd 04, 08:19 PM
Roger Zoul

Running Bear wrote:
:: A LRS person told me that my runner's knees are caused by imbalance
:: in strength between two upper-leg muscle groups, namely, quadricep
:: and hamstring.
::
:: If I complement my running with cycling, will it help?

It depends on which muscle is weak. I'd guess the likely weak muscle is
your ham, and if that's the case, cycling my not help. You might try doing
some weight lifting movements to increase hamstring strenght. Straight
legged deadlifts, leg presses and crunches would be the ones.

In general, cycling is good for the knees provided you fit your bike
correctly.

::
:: Also, one burns about 100 cal per running mile. In cycling, is there
:: a similar ballpark caloric estimate (or chart of variables) per
:: cycling mile?

Generally, given the same level of intensity as measured by heart rate, one
hour of running will burn about the same calories as one hour of cycling.
You'll just go further on the bike.

Old July 25th 04, 01:05 PM
Ray

For what it's worth, I developed runner's knee myself. After about 4 weeks
of doing nothing and only a slight pain in the knee I got out my 18 year old
10 speed and started biking. The knee feels good and I'm in the market for a
decent bike. I understand that if you have a tendency to over pronate, which
I do and absolutely had to use Brooks the Beast running shoes, that can also
cause the runner's knee. Since I'm getting older and the running injuries
seem to be increasing, I'm going to commit to biking and see how it goes.
Ray

m...

Old July 25th 04, 11:59 PM
dreaded

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

FYI
Years ago I had developed knee problems from cycling (mostly) and running
and the pain could be quite sever when hiking or running downhill. I went to
a Physical Therapist who showed me how the patella works and how an
imbalance between the leg muscle groups could cause a tracking problem (the
patella is more 3 dimensional than most people think and it follows up and
down in a groove in the knee tissue). When the patella was tracking off to
the side because of a weak VMO (vastus medialus-one of the quadriceps). My
solution was PT-doing exercises to strengthen the VMO like skiers squats
(wall squats), regular squats, leg extensions, leg lifts etc. Doing these
exercises regularly over a long period of time has helped tremendously!
IM if your problem is needing to strengthen the quads cycling probably wont
help too much.
alan

Old July 26th 04, 03:50 PM
Roger Zoul

dreaded wrote:
:: "Ray" wrote in message
:: ...
::: For what it's worth, I developed runner's knee myself. After about
::: 4 weeks of doing nothing and only a slight pain in the knee I got
::: out my 18 year old 10 speed and started biking. The knee feels good
::: and I'm in the market for a decent bike. I understand that if you
::: have a tendency to over pronate, which I do and absolutely had to
::: use Brooks the Beast running shoes, that can also cause the
::: runner's knee. Since I'm getting older and the running injuries
::: seem to be increasing, I'm going to commit to biking and see how it
::: goes. Ray
:::
:::
::: "Running Bear" wrote in message
::: m...
:::: A LRS person told me that my runner's knees are caused by
:::: imbalance in strength between two upper-leg muscle groups, namely,
:::: quadricep and hamstring.
::::
[...]

I think cycling uses the quads a lot (I think this because of how sore mine
get after a long hard ride), so if imbalance is due to weak quads, cycling
should help.

Old July 26th 04, 05:06 PM
Jeremy Collins

Roger Zoul wrote:

In general, cycling is good for the knees provided you fit your bike
correctly.

And /cycle/ correctly, I assume? A friend of mine has an odd
habit of riding with his right heel sticking out, which I
would think puts unusual stresses on the knee joint.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old July 26th 04, 05:23 PM
the black rose

Roger Zoul wrote:
I think cycling uses the quads a lot (I think this because of how sore mine
get after a long hard ride), so if imbalance is due to weak quads, cycling
should help.

If you're ever in doubt that cycling uses the quads, just take a look at
any pro cyclist's quads. Case closed. ;-)

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 26th 04, 05:31 PM
S o r n i

the black rose wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:
I think cycling uses the quads a lot (I think this because of how
sore mine get after a long hard ride), so if imbalance is due to
weak quads, cycling should help.

If you're ever in doubt that cycling uses the quads, just take a look
at any pro cyclist's quads. Case closed. ;-)

If there's an imbalance among cyclists, it's almost certainly weak
hamstrings (as compared to quads). One yoga class will confirm that!

Bill "living proof" S.

Old July 26th 04, 08:04 PM
the black rose

S o r n i wrote:
the black rose wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:

I think cycling uses the quads a lot (I think this because of how
sore mine get after a long hard ride), so if imbalance is due to
weak quads, cycling should help.

If you're ever in doubt that cycling uses the quads, just take a look
at any pro cyclist's quads. Case closed. ;-)

If there's an imbalance among cyclists, it's almost certainly weak
hamstrings (as compared to quads). One yoga class will confirm that!

Strength, or stretch? (or both?) You *are* stretching your hamstrings
regularly, aren't you Bill? *wicked grin*

-km, who after 2 months can finally touch her nose to the knee of a
straight leg

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 04:56 AM
Cycling is dangerous Garry Jones General 375 November 21st 03 05:52 PM
Low Impact ways to build leg muscle mass? Mike Beauchamp General 24 November 5th 03 09:55 PM
Knee discomfort Allan General 10 October 3rd 03 06:24 AM
Cycling for amputee JerZ Fox General 11 August 17th 03 03:51 PM