Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest?

Old July 15th 04, 02:38 AM
the black rose

Default Grilling pizza (Was: Intro -- was Zefal Isotherm waterbottle keeps water coldest?)

foldedpath wrote:
Mike Barrs
(I hate posting things like this, because it makes me hungry)

*wipes a bit a drool*

Yer an evil man, Mike Barrs.

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

Old July 15th 04, 02:44 AM
foldedpath

the black rose wrote in news:gelJc.74464
:

foldedpath wrote:
Mike Barrs
(I hate posting things like this, because it makes me hungry)

*wipes a bit a drool*

Yer an evil man, Mike Barrs.

Heh, heh... try, it you'll like it. Works fine with a frozen dough base.

--
Mike Barrs
vanishing in a puff of smoke
Old July 15th 04, 06:29 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
foldedpath writes:

Anybody who's into grilling should be into charcoal.

Jeez... tough crowd here.

I was trying to help. Okay, I bow in the direction of charcoal, while
nodding at the convenience of propane.

That's okay. There's already so many this vs. that arguments
going on here, I don't think anyone wants to get involved in
another one.

As penance for mentioning the evil word "propane," I offer my (adapted)
recipe for spinach/4-cheese pizza. This is the topping recipe. Anyone
who wants a from-scratch dough recipe to go with this, can email me

Thanks muchly for that; I shall definitely give it a try.
It sounds delish. Mmmm ... spinach & feta ... drool

I recently noticed one pizza joint near me includes
smoked herrings in their toppings list. I'm going to
have to try that, too. Separately from your recipe,
of course.

Ob relation to cycling: I find pizza as fuel agreeably has
just the right combination of carbs, protein & fat for me, and
it never makes me logy - unlike some of the richer variations
on lasagna.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old July 15th 04, 01:17 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
"Raoul Duke" wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

I know it is popular in this NG to argue for bicyclists' "rights." So I
won't be surprised if I get flamed for saying this, but I think it is
appropriate for bicyclists to be courteous to motorists, who also have a
right to use the roads.

Although I do agree with you that bicyclists should be courteous to
motorists, operating a motor vehicle on public roads is - at least in the
US - a privilege and not a right.

Dave

The above fact is immediately forgotten the moment the driver obtains a liscense.

HAND

Old July 15th 04, 01:29 PM
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:24:24 -0000, foldedpath
wrote:
stone will protect the bottom of the dough from burning too quickly due to
direct heat, and the trapped hot air will melt the cheese. So you should
get a nice, evenly baked pie. You might have to fiddle a bit with the
grill's vents (if it has them), to keep the air inside hot enough.

With the stone, will the crust get nicely crisp and properly
golden-brown? That's part of the reason I'm using the grill.

If you want a little extra smoke flavor to simulate a wood-fired Italian
oven, get some hickory chips (or the flavor wood of your choice). Make a

I've got loads and loads of smoking chips. I love using them for
burgers and dogs on the grill, and someday I'll make a good brisket
in the smoker. I've even found
http://www.tono-betos.com/flavorwood.html which is canned smoke
wood, for the ultra-lazy. Works great.

Of course if your grill is like mine (propane), you'll get some automatic
"BBQ flavor" from charcoaled remnants of previous cooking down on the
burners and lava rocks. So you may not need the wood chips.

Brand new lava rocks; the old ceramic briquettes were disintegrated.

Now your next step is to ditch the frozen pizza and make it from scratch,
or with store-bought dough and your own toppings.... yuuuuummmmm!

That's a yummy option, but Tony's frozen pizza is definitely one of
my favorite foods, and quick&easy too...except for having a terrible
oven (for a variety of reasons, and a good one is not available).
When I once again have a good oven, Tony's frozen pizza will
probably be a major staple in my diet; it's a pretty cheap meal for
me, and one of my favorites.

I bought a Presto Pizzazz pizza cooker (
http://www.comforthouse.com/comfort/pizza.html ), but it doesn't
cook the crust at all, just the top. I've been considering drilling
holes in the pan. Also, I've considered using the Pizzazz for the
top and the grill for the bottom.

The grill is a largish propane grill, by the "Great Outdoors Grill"
company.

The success I once had was not with Tony's pizza, but rather those
rectangular Ellio's, specifically their "Double Cheese" variety,
which was in a cooler with melting ice for two days. Everything
thawed, and the crust got somewhat soggy; I grilled it on a $15
portable gas grill, very much like this:
http://www.oshmans.com/graphics/prod...p246345reg.jpg
which is just large enough for the pizza. It was some of the best
pizza I ever had, frozen, take-out, gourmet, whatever.

Maybe I'll just have to try to duplicate that experience.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 15th 04, 02:27 PM
the black rose

Rick Onanian wrote:
Hot buttons here and in r.b.tech: Helmets, greasing crank tapers,
anything political, anything bicycle-political, bicycle-automobile
relations, bike lanes/bike paths, pedalling in a circular motion,
frame materials, bicycling magazines, torque wrenches, loctite on
spoke nipples, light vs. heavy wheels, hub is suspended from rim vs
standing on spokes, disc brakes on road bikes, disc brakes causing
wheel ejection, straight vs. butted spokes, chain lube, chain care,
campagnolo vs shimano, old tech vs new tech, Critical Mass, front
brakes on fixed gear bikes, anodized aluminum, cracking rims,
tubulars vs clinchers, crank length, 53x11 and taller gears, road vs
mtb clipless pedals, look vs speedplay vs spd, cyclingforums.com
users as sock puppets, special/odd crank technology, off-road trail
damage from bikes, soft/hard ride from frame or fork, tire width,
leather vs plastic saddles, colored tires, and about a million other
topics.

Hee hee hee hee hee. :-D

I understand that it's a scientifically proven fact that red bikes are
faster.

*sprints away at top speed*

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

Old July 15th 04, 02:34 PM
the black rose

Claire Petersky wrote:
Heh. When I first started out in rec.bicycles.*, I had a couple of
immature replies to a post I made inquiring about sports bras. I felt
it was time to establish that despite my female nature, I was not
someone to be messed with. I replied not with flames or indignancy,
but with humor.

That old thread may be viewed he
http://tinyurl.com/6uxee

Hee hee, yup. I have to say though that the immature reply wasn't a
flame. I've got 4 sons, so I'm used to living with all kinds of male
immaturity (though they don't have the nerve to indulge in innuendo when
I'm around!). Immaturity I know well how to deal with.

Ob cycling content: I just watched the TdF peloton herd a small group of
cows... ROFL!!!

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

Old July 15th 04, 03:44 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:47:51 -0000, foldedpath
wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in
Now your next step is to ditch the frozen pizza and make it from

Anybody who's into grilling should be into charcoal.
Anybody who's
into pizza from scratch should make dough from scratch.

Of course. Goes without saying. But the folks here are talking about
what to do with a frozen, store-bought pizza on the grill.

I'm talking about what to do with a Tony's frozen store-bought
mass-produced chock-full-of-preservatives "pizza"-like food product
on a propane burning outdoor cooking device. You don't have to call
it "pizza" or "grill" if you don't want to, but it's what I'm trying
to figure out how to eat. I admit that it is not authentic pizza,
although if it's got a grate with a fire under it, I call it a
grill. If it's got a grate with the fire elsewhere, it's probably a
smoker (for making authentic bbq). If it hasn't got exposed fire
anywhere, then it's an oven.

BTW, anybody who's into charcoal should be into natural lump
charcoal, not Kingsford briquettes, which are a much worse
approximation of charcoal than Tony's is an approximation of pizza.
Also, natural lighting methods (paper, kindling, or charcoal
chimney), rather than lighting fluid, for the same reason.

There is something alluring about the evil stench of Kingsford
briquettes burning off a highly flammable solvent, but if you're
looking for grilling so elite and authentic, you have to start with
real charcoal and no fluid.

I'd add wood chips for smoke production to ANY of the aforementioned
grill equipment/fuel combinations. Jack Daniels wood chips are the
best, even better than hickory. They're supposedly chopped-up oak
whiskey-aging-barrels, and they sure smell like it.

Maybe if I can get a whole JD barrel, I can cook over a JD wood
fire. Maybe I could convince them to create JD lump charcoal... I
doubt they produce enough barrels for that, though.

I'v seen pictures and recipes of authentic, original pizza, and not
only is it nothing like any pizza you'll find now, it's also not
appetizing. IIRC, it was some awful type of dough with a couple icky
dry toppings; and also IIRC, it was yet another food whose origin
was poor people trying to use inedible or leftover foods... So, to
argue whether it should be homemade from nice all-purpose flour and
tomato sauce and cheese and vegetables and meat vs. made in a
factory, well, neither one is authentic.

My home-made pizza recipe? Well, it's not difficult, nor is it
authentic (obviously), nor is it something many people would like,
nor is it elite, but here it is:

[Many] red plastic sack of pizza dough mix, can't remember if it's
Betty Crocker or Pillsbury or what

[Large jar] Francesco Rinaldi original meatless pasta sauce or
Prego pizza sauce

[Bulk pack] any brand of string cheese

[huge bulk bag] good quality mass-produced shredded mozzarella

Make huge crust from dough. Place string cheese sticks around
perimeter and roll edge of crust over, completely enclosing and
sealing cheese.

Bake on perforated pizza pan for random time at random temperature.

Add too much sauce. Bake on pan randomly again.

Add way too much cheese. Bake until cheese is thoroughly melted,
you're too hungry, or crust begins to burn. Hope cheese is nearly
melted by that time, anyway. I've never burned the crust this way.
Sometimes parts of cheese will overcook before all the cheese has
melted; you may need to add another intermediate bake with half of
the cheese thickness.

Cut into 8 pieces with pizza machete, if you have one. If not, a
really big pizza wheel will work, but it'll be kinda messy.

One slice will be a meal (or two) for most people. I'm good for two
or three slices, usually.

Boboli crusts are good, too, but you can't make THAT pizza on them.

(I hate posting things like this, because it makes me hungry)

Me too, every time.
--
Rick "Heart-attack pizza" Onanian
Old July 15th 04, 04:20 PM
Peter Cole

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:47:51 -0000, foldedpath
wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in
Now your next step is to ditch the frozen pizza and make it from
Anybody who's into grilling should be into charcoal.
Anybody who's
into pizza from scratch should make dough from scratch.

Of course. Goes without saying. But the folks here are talking about
what to do with a frozen, store-bought pizza on the grill.

I'm talking about what to do with a Tony's frozen store-bought
mass-produced chock-full-of-preservatives "pizza"-like food product

Since I've got at least 8 pizza shops within a half mile radius (not chain
stores, either), and most are pretty good (competition), it doesn't make sense
for me to home cook it unless I go all the way. Convenience food, like the
silent majority, is really neither. I have never tried bring pizza home on a
bike, though.

There is something alluring about the evil stench of Kingsford
briquettes burning off a highly flammable solvent, but if you're
looking for grilling so elite and authentic, you have to start with
real charcoal and no fluid.

Chimneys are so easy to make (coffee cans & coat hangers) that I never use
fluid, briquettes are ok if they're not pre-soaked.

My home-made pizza recipe? Well, it's not difficult, nor is it
authentic (obviously), nor is it something many people would like,
nor is it elite, but here it is:

Dude, that's not pizza, it's grilled cheese.

Rick "Heart-attack pizza" Onanian

Food for thought.

Old July 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Dane Jackson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"HardwareLust" writes:

To me, nothing is worse than drinking tepid water on a ride!

I think the worst thing about warmed-up water isn't so much
the temperature, as much as the way it takes on the plastic-y
taste of the bottle.

I find that if when you fill the bottle you steep a little mint
in the bottle, you can't taste any of the plastic-ness. You don't
steep it long enough to really be 'minty', it just imparts a slight
taste and over-shadows anything nasty.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Why do I suddenly see Samuel Jackson as G-d in my head?

L: There's a lot of holy books here. How do I know I'm reading the
right one?
D: Oh, that's easy. Mine is the one that has "Bad Mother Fscker" on it.
-Seen in the Monastery - Matt Roberds & Earl Grey

water bottle mounting MarkR General 8 May 20th 04 08:55 PM
cleaning bikes in the winter Doug Purdy General 25 December 22nd 03 11:22 PM
Stupid question: Pink water bottle cages? Preston Crawford General 10 September 8th 03 05:45 AM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM