adjusting to drop bars -- what to expect?

Old September 1st 03, 02:50 AM
garau

Default adjusting to drop bars -- what to expect?

Hey there.
First of all, let me admit my Fredliness and get it out of the way. Heck,
that's why I've got the question.
I've been riding a Raleigh C-40 for a couple years now and enjoyed it on the
road, Greenway and a cyclocross race. I'm only putting about 1100 miles a
year on it, but ride lots of little rides a week (some commuting to boot).
So, my wife, in a fit of generosity, told me to go out and get what I want
and, after much looking, reading, emailing and debate with the LBS, I'm
getting a pretty swell Steelman 'cross bike. I figure it'll give me
everything the Raleigh does and then some.
The concern I have is this: I'm 5'8" and 195lbs. The prospect of riding with
drops is the only thing scaring me. The folks at the LBS say that after a
day, I'll wonder why I didn't go there sooner. Still, any tips on how to
make the adjustment from straight bars to drops? That dang belly keeps
getting in the way. Weird how I can't breathe when I fold over my belly...

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

--
Kristin Garau

Old September 1st 03, 03:19 AM
R15757

If you like the hand position that flat bars give you, you might just love how
it feels to have your hands wrapped around the brake hoods and the tops. Drop
bars allow for many more hand positions than flat bars.

Robert
Old September 1st 03, 03:21 AM
David Kerber

In article . net,
says...
[...]

My suggestion would be to raise the handle bars enough that you can get
onto the drops without feeling like you're being blocked by your aero-
belly, so you can breathe easily while riding on them. Then as you ride
more (which I'm sure you will do once you find out how nice all those
different hand positions are), you'll start losing the belly, and can
drop the bars back down a bit at a time until you are in a nice
aerodynamic position.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old September 1st 03, 03:42 AM
Ken

"hippy" wrote in news:xJx4b.76095$bo1.39233
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:
Well you'd only be on the drops for brief amounts of time
(sprinting or headwinds usually) and should be hanging
onto the "tops" or the shifters most of the time - so I'm told.

Not sure who told you that, but I use my drops about half the time. I use
them on all downhills and any flat road where I want extra speed (sometimes
for miles a time).
Old September 1st 03, 04:04 AM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 01:50:18 GMT, "garau"
wrote:

The concern I have is this: I'm 5'8" and 195lbs. The prospect of riding with
drops is the only thing scaring me. The folks at the LBS say that after a
day, I'll wonder why I didn't go there sooner. Still, any tips on how to
make the adjustment from straight bars to drops? That dang belly keeps
getting in the way. Weird how I can't breathe when I fold over my belly...

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

You will probably spend most of your time with your hands on the flats
or on the brake hoods. Two issues- the height of the bars and the
extension- will determine how far you have to lean. I would first
focus on the height of the bars- get them up, level with the seat if
possible. Then go for as long an extension as you find comfortable.

Your best bet is have the bike shop set you up. Arrange to swap stems
for a bit, try different ones. Hopefully they already know your riding
history and what you are looking for in this bike. Plan on changing
the stem again in the first year as you get more comfortable with the
position and as your belly gets smaller.

Drop bars might feel squirrelly at first. The way you leverage and
control the front wheel is different. Nothing severe, but just
different. You should think about avoiding heavy traffic areas for
the first hour or so and spend time focusing on the new steering and
braking. But the LBS is right- within a day you'll wonder why you
didn't do it sooner.
Old September 1st 03, 07:15 AM
Zoot Katz

01 Sep 2003 02:19:25 GMT,
,
(R15757) wrote:

Drop
bars allow for many more hand positions than flat bars.

Robert

If you can't breathe when you're on the dropped part, you won't be
spending much time there.
--
zk
Old September 1st 03, 11:14 AM
mark

"garau" wrote
The concern I have is this: I'm 5'8" and 195lbs. The prospect of riding

with
drops is the only thing scaring me. The folks at the LBS say that after a
day, I'll wonder why I didn't go there sooner. Still, any tips on how to
make the adjustment from straight bars to drops? That dang belly keeps
getting in the way. Weird how I can't breathe when I fold over my belly...

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

--
Kristin Garau

My weight (and waistline) has fluctuated more than I like over the years. I
find that when I'm heavier than I want to be I spend a lot more time on the
brake hoods, and as my weight drops I spend more time in the drops. Either
way I cannot imagine riding on pavement with flat bars.
--
mark

Old September 2nd 03, 09:43 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Well you'd only be on the drops for brief amounts of time
(sprinting or headwinds usually)

if only all headwinds were brief!