Tour de France Question

Old February 22nd 04, 08:04 PM
Charlie S.

Default Tour de France Question

I apologize in advance for not posting this in a road bike newsgroup. Even
though I road bike more than mountain, I just can't relate to the suave
roadie get-up many wear, nor the snotty attitude many of them seem to carry
on their faces. I do post here from time to time, but I haven't been
posting for some time.

I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling
Magazines.

Well anyway getting to the point. In the October 2002 edition of Bicycling
magazine, someone wrote in complaining to the editor(s). The heading
states, "Everyone Pees." Then the rest of the article states the following.
"You crossed the line of taste with the photo of Oscar Freire urinating
("Your Tour de France Handbook"). My 3 year daughter doesn't need to see
that, and most adults don't , either. Brian E. Boguhn, Fremont, CA" The
editor's response. "When a two-time world champion takes a whiz, we watch.
There's gotta be something we can learn."

I thought it was a pretty absurd response. But anyways, I am curious, from
watching or reading about 'the Tour' I realize that it's a very long race.
And, these guys are drinking lots and lots of liquids. Naturally,
eventually, they must have to pee or poop sometime during the race. (We've
all experienced this from time to time on longer rides.)

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they
ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of the race?
Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

I realize from a spectators viewpoint this happen must appear somewhat
comical, but realistically everyone has to go sometime during a very long
ride. Sometimes when I am riding on a paved trail I have to sneak into a
wooded area to find a place to pee. It's quite an awkward experience. I
imagine these riders are in an even more awkward position with crowds all
along the Tour.

Again, I apologize for such an off topic and possibly offensive post. (I
just couldn't bring myself to post in a roadie ng.)

Old February 22nd 04, 08:12 PM
tcmedara

Charlie S. wrote:

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while
they ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of
the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

As you are aware this isn't a roadie group, I'll give you the mtb answer.
When I've gotta pee, I stop, get off the bike and find a nice tree, rock,
cactus, or even just a great view. I let 'er rip, give a few tugs to
prevent the inevitable wet spot on the bike shorts (usually fails), get back
on the bike and keep riding. Not sure how effective that would be in the
TdF, or any other road race, but it works for me. Bet it's much the same
for the majority of the guys in this group, but I'm just guessing there.

Tom (enjoys a nice view)

Old February 22nd 04, 08:31 PM
BB

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:04:18 GMT, Charlie S. wrote:

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they
ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of the race?
Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

My old riding bud has gotten into road riding big time over the past
couple of years. He's mentioned about this a few times. Oh yeah, they do
that. They actually had a race that had to relocate because of complaints
about riders whizzing on the roadside - sometimes in groups (they're
ROADIES, after all)!

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old February 22nd 04, 08:39 PM
Per Elmsäter

tcmedara wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while
they ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of
the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

As you are aware this isn't a roadie group, I'll give you the mtb
answer. When I've gotta pee, I stop, get off the bike and find a nice
tree, rock, cactus, or even just a great view. I let 'er rip, give a
few tugs to prevent the inevitable wet spot on the bike shorts
(usually fails), get back on the bike and keep riding. Not sure how
effective that would be in the TdF, or any other road race, but it
works for me. Bet it's much the same for the majority of the guys in
this group, but I'm just guessing there.

Tom (enjoys a nice view)

I think you should have posted this in a roadie group if you want an answer.
--
Perre

Old February 22nd 04, 09:05 PM
Michael Dart

In ,
Charlie S. typed:
My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while
they ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of
the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

It'll cost you $9.95 to find out. Chapter 39.

http://arniebakercycling.com/books/b...%20of%20Conten
ts

Mike

Old February 22nd 04, 09:07 PM
Shawn Curry

Charlie S. wrote:

[...]

Sometimes the whole peleton stops. I know other methods involve rolling
up a leg of their shorts, pulling them down, or ignoring them completely
and letting it go, all while riding.

Shawn

Old February 22nd 04, 09:32 PM
Per Elmsäter

Charlie S. wrote:

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while
they ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of
the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a
womens roadrace. This chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly
run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use your imagination what happened
when it hit the spinning spokes.
ROTFL

Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

--
Perre

Old February 22nd 04, 10:13 PM
bomba

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/...ltdf03/dcrest2

Old February 22nd 04, 10:27 PM
Sotos

De-lurking for just a bit. You might want to check out
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t25513.html for a lengthy thread with some
enlightening comments on the topic.

Old February 22nd 04, 10:33 PM
S o r n i

Per Elmsäter wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while
they ride? Or, is it more commonplace they hold it until the end of
the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once
of a womens roadrace. This chick just let it go thinking that it
would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use your
imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes.
ROTFL

Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was
posted?

www.****ingchickonbikefetishist.com.

Bill "go ahead, click" S.