XC: carbon seatpost?

Old September 23rd 04, 05:29 PM
bri719

Default XC: carbon seatpost?

hey guys, just a stupid question really and want to see if anyone can
help point me in the right direction. I was changing out my XC hardtail
saddle for the 2nd or 3rd time (lets ya know you've been using the thing
right) and thinking of just going with a carbon seatpost as well for a
couple of reasons:

- more forgiving than alloy (main reason)
- weight (bonus)
- looks cool (not too important but hey why not)

problem I ran into after some quick looking around is there seems to be
a large plethora of carbon posts out there for road bikes, but maybe not
as common as far as MTB goes. I'm not even considering a suspension
seatpost for weight concerns mostly, and don't need anything "super
absorbent" anyway. my price range is pretty low (under ~$50). should I
give up or is there a great source for any? I have one more website I
was gonna check but forgot to yet. my local LBS/chain didn't seem to
have much.

also, I have no idea about sizes on seatposts (which is what usually
happens each time I've replaced something on my bike I've never touched
before, which is about every other time). it's one of those things I
can figure out given enough time and effort but if there's a "most
common" size used on a typical XC bike say between 1998-99 that would
probably help. and I know there are all these shims and funky things
out there but I'm willing to cross that bridge when I get to it if
necessary.

thx
b.

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old September 23rd 04, 05:53 PM
Carla A-G

"bri719" wrote in message
hey guys, just a stupid question really and want to see if anyone can
help point me in the right direction. I was changing out my XC hardtail
saddle for the 2nd or 3rd time (lets ya know you've been using the thing
right) and thinking of just going with a carbon seatpost as well for a
couple of reasons:

- more forgiving than alloy (main reason)
- weight (bonus)
- looks cool (not too important but hey why not)

I know plenty of people who have broken their carbon seatposts when mtbing.
Bad idea. Go with a Thomson. They're indestructable, light-weight and look
much cooler than carbon.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 23rd 04, 06:00 PM
TBF

I know plenty of people who have broken their carbon seatposts when
mtbing.
Bad idea. Go with a Thomson. They're indestructable, light-weight and look
much cooler than carbon.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

I know plenty of people who ride carbon bars and posts with no issues. My
babe has a carbon seatpost, and using it with no issues for two seasons now.

The Thomson rocks though.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:09 PM
Bill Sornson

TBF wrote:
I know plenty of people who ride carbon bars and posts with no
issues. My babe has a carbon seatpost, and using it with no issues
for two seasons now.

Does she hit you over the head with it when you oogle women right in front
of her?

Bill "but of course, you're The Black Fox, so 'babe' should understand" S.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:16 PM
TBF

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
TBF wrote:
I know plenty of people who ride carbon bars and posts with no
issues. My babe has a carbon seatpost, and using it with no issues
for two seasons now.

Does she hit you over the head with it when you oogle women right in front
of her?

Bill "but of course, you're The Black Fox, so 'babe' should understand" S.

Is that anything like "ogle"?

Any guy who doesn't check out an attractive woman in a bikini is a little
strange, unless the other team strikes his fancy. The "Babe" doesn't have to
hit me with anything, she's secure. It's called look, don't touch. Try it
sometime weenie.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:43 PM
TM

"bri719" wrote in message
thinking of just going with a carbon seatpost as well for a couple of
reasons:

- more forgiving than alloy (main reason)
- weight (bonus)
- looks cool (not too important but hey why not)

Ti would be a better choice to meet your goals.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:59 PM
Carla A-G

"TBF" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
I know plenty of people who ride carbon bars and posts with no issues. My
babe has a carbon seatpost, and using it with no issues for two seasons

now.

How much does she weigh? How hard does she ride? How often does she ride?
What kind of terrain?

- CA-G
nuthin' but Thomson...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 23rd 04, 07:02 PM
bri719

yeah, I had briefly wondered that also....the only thing on my bike
that's Ti is my bottle cage really (but I like it!). never had a
problem with the carbon bars that I've got on there, I can't even
remember what kind they are offhand but have held up great.

thanx.
b.

Old September 23rd 04, 07:29 PM
bri719

Carla A-G wrote:

How much does she weigh? How hard does she ride? How often does she ride?
What kind of terrain?

in my case:

175-180
medium-to-hard XC rides (sometimes bumpy, sometimes not so bumpy, but I'm off the saddle a lot). small jumps, no serious air
1-3 times a week

I'll check out what's out there some more. I've seen the thomson posts and they look nice.

bri

Old September 23rd 04, 08:15 PM
TBF

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"TBF" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
I know plenty of people who ride carbon bars and posts with no issues. My
babe has a carbon seatpost, and using it with no issues for two seasons

now.

How much does she weigh? How hard does she ride? How often does she ride?
What kind of terrain?

- CA-G
nuthin' but Thomson...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

135 last I heard, but any dude that's been married as long as I have, knows
better than to ask. She looks fairly light to me. She rides any trail we
choose, difficult or not, and we ride everyday after work unless it's
raining. She rides road in the Fall/Winter as well.