ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!

Old August 2nd 09, 04:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!

So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Mike

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ench-Alps.html

Holiday Briton, 60, dies after 300ft fall from bike track in French
Alps

A sixty-year-old British man has fallen more than 300 feet to his
death while mountain biking in the French Alps on a camping holiday
with nine friends.

By Alexandra Williams in Chamonix
Published: 12:36PM BST 01 Aug 2009
The fall occured near Chamonix-Mt-Blanc, one of the world's most
popular mountaineering areas Photo: GETTY/AFP

The body of the man, from Brighton, was discovered on Friday afternoon
by police in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc.

He hired a bike on Friday morning and went for a ride alone along the
Balcon Nord track, a popular mountain biking and walking trail.

Hikers discovered his bike impaled on a tree just below the track and
alerted police.

A search by helicopter located the man’s body 330 feet below the
track.

A spokesman for the Mountain Police in Chamonix said: “We do not know
why the man fell. We are waiting for the results of a post mortem.

“The man hit several trees and fell a considerable distance – 100
metres. It is very steep in this section.

“We believe he was on his own. He was on holiday with friends but he
was the only one who went biking that day. There are no witnesses to
his fall.

“The Balcon Nord is a popular route and technically it is not too
difficult.”
Old August 2nd 09, 05:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Claudius Denk

How, exactly, is dead mountain-bikers an environmental issue? I mean,
how many of them could there be?
Old August 2nd 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Claudius Denk wrote:

How, exactly, is dead mountain-bikers an environmental issue? I mean,
how many of them could there be?

Well, there are lots of dead /hikers/ littering the countryside:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dead+...rlz=1I7SUNA_en

Old August 4th 09, 08:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wayne[_2_]

"Claudius Denk" wrote in message

How, exactly, is dead mountain-bikers an environmental issue? I mean,
how many of them could there be?

-
My take on the subject is that it is an environmental issue before the
mountain biker goes dead.

I hike in an areas where mountain biking is not allowed. However, this year
I had my first "encounter" with a MB asshole. He was going downhill very
fast on a no-bike trail, and almost ran over the two of us hiking downhill.
While helping him get his bike back on the trail, I made a rather polite
observation that I didn't think mountain biking was allowed on the trail.
His answer was that it isn't allowed....but no harm done because he was only
him...not a group.

Most likely, the trail will very soon have environmental impact.

Old September 24th 09, 10:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Neil Brooks

On Aug 2, 9:53*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Mike

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl.../5955043/Holid...

You draw this conclusion based on a sample size of ONE?

No wonder you're so near and dear to Bill Sornson: birds of a
feather.....