Rock Shox Duke vs. Manitou Black

Old March 10th 04, 07:16 PM
Anders

Default Rock Shox Duke vs. Manitou Black

HI

Which one of these forks is the best one?:

Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs.
Manitou Black Elite RTWD 2004

The Duke is on this one:
http://www.bike-discount.de/www/navf...2&Kategorie1=1

And the Manitou is on this one:
http://www.bike-discount.de/www/navf...2&Kategorie1=1

Sincerely Anders

Old March 10th 04, 08:30 PM
Ken in KC

Anders wrote:
HI
Which one of these forks is the best one?:
Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite RTWD 2004
The Duke is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike- discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
ikelID=7112&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1 =1
And the Manitou is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike- discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
ikelID=6985&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1 =1
Sincerely Anders

What are you looking for in a fork? Lighter weight? Stiffness
Adjustability? Great Customer Service? Color? Price? What type of ridin
will you do

The "best one" will vary depending what you're looking for out of th
fork

Ke

-

Old March 10th 04, 08:47 PM
Anders

HI
Which one of these forks is the best one?:
Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite RTWD 2004
The Duke is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike-

discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
ikelID=7112&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1 =1
And the Manitou is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike-

discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
ikelID=6985&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1 =1
Sincerely Anders

What are you looking for in a fork? Lighter weight? Stiffness?
Adjustability? Great Customer Service? Color? Price? What type of riding
will you do?

The "best one" will vary depending what you're looking for out of the
fork.

Hi

I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break after ½ year, a fork
that can withstand rough driving in the forrest. A fork that is easy to
service. But the main thing is that the fork is a quality fork!

/Anders

Old March 10th 04, 08:57 PM
bomba

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:47:12 +0100, Anders wrote:

I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break after ½ year, a fork
that can withstand rough driving in the forrest. A fork that is easy to
service. But the main thing is that the fork is a quality fork!

Hmm, maybe look elsewhere (?)

The Duke is an ok fork, but not great by any stretch of the imagination.
And the Black is probably worse.

At that price point, go for a Marzocchi.

Old March 10th 04, 09:45 PM
Ken in KC

Bomba wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:47:12 +0100, Anders wrote:
I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break after ½
year, a fork that can withstand rough driving in the forrest. A fork
that is easy to service. But the main thing is that the fork is a
quality fork!

Hmm, maybe look elsewhere (?)
The Duke is an ok fork, but not great by any stretch of the imagination.
And the Black is probably worse.
At that price point, go for a Marzocchi.

OK, based on your criteria, I offer the following comments based on m
personal experience

Manitou: Not very durable with horrible customer service. My fork broke
they basically told me tough **** and have a nice day. My friends for
broke (exactly the same model, broke in exactly the same place) and the
replaced his within a couple of days

The difference? My friend crashed and broke ribs as a result of hi
failure, while I did not. I guess if you have a potential legal clai
against them, you get an upgraded fork

Rock Shox: I've had good luck with them, but their products ar
extremely flexy for me. I've heard horror stories about them as well
but I've never had a problem with their products (other than the flex)

I second Bomba's reccomendation for Marzocchi. I've ridden two of thei
forks. The first was a Z1. There were some problems with it, bu
Marzocchi fixed them without question and without running me throug
the wringer

The second is a Marathon SL (Air fork) that I'm currently riding
I've only had it for 3 months, but it seems stiff, durable and i
easy to adjust

Hope this helps

Ke

-

Old March 10th 04, 10:06 PM
MattB

Anders wrote:
snip

I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break after ½ year,
a fork that can withstand rough driving in the forrest. A fork that
is easy to service. But the main thing is that the fork is a quality
fork!

/Anders

I have a 2001 Black Elite Air 80 mm and I love it. Stiff, smooth, and plush.
Never had a problem and I don't know about servicing because I've only had
to squirt a little microlube in it and that's all the service I've done.

Never had a Duke, but I think I heard they were crap from someone here. You
might want to search for it.

Matt

Old March 12th 04, 06:24 PM
JD

"Anders" wrote in message ...
HI

Which one of these forks is the best one?:

Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs.
Manitou Black Elite RTWD 2004

The Duke is on this one:
http://www.bike-discount.de/www/navf...2&Kategorie1=1

And the Manitou is on this one:
http://www.bike-discount.de/www/navf...2&Kategorie1=1

Sincerely Anders

Dook = daily constitutional

You should see the pile of broken manitudes at OTE in Fruita. I think
there are about eight waiting for warranty replacement from breaking
on the arch.

Get a Bomber or a Fox.

JD