TTT bars

Old July 29th 05, 06:17 PM
Angola

Default TTT bars

If you saw the TdF TTT, you might have noticed the bars on a few of the
Gerolsteiner's bikes: tiny cowhorns without aero handles in the middle.
They rode them (to victory) at Eindhoven TTT, too.
These bars really didn't look that aero with big riders like Michael
Rich on them. The riders didn't look that stretched out. Wonder if
anyone is familiar with these bars and has any thoughts on their use,
their aero qualities.
I've seen similar on the track for the kilo, but not on the road.
Lately anyway.

ps This post's subject (unusual new equipment that isn't seen across
all ProTour teams) made me think about the crazy days of the early to
mid 80's when the most outrageous stuff made appearances. Anyone
remember the front wheel on (I think) Visentini's TT bike where the 24"
front disc was actually closer to a "ball." Thinking was, it would
create an air pocket for the churning pedals; Moser's huge, weighted
rear wheel on one of his hour bikes; etc etc...Interesting, too, that
the Czeck who recently set a new hour record rode a weighted 3.2kg rear
wheel. How can that be allowed for the "pure" record?

Old July 30th 05, 12:28 AM

Angola wrote:
If you saw the TdF TTT, you might have noticed the bars on a few of the
Gerolsteiner's bikes: tiny cowhorns without aero handles in the middle.
They rode them (to victory) at Eindhoven TTT, too.
These bars really didn't look that aero with big riders like Michael
Rich on them. The riders didn't look that stretched out. Wonder if
anyone is familiar with these bars and has any thoughts on their use,
their aero qualities.
I've seen similar on the track for the kilo, but not on the road.
Lately anyway.

Here's a photo:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...id=nld-gero-83

I can't find the link now, but I seem to recall reading that the team
determined by power measurements that the strange handlebars were
faster. The interview implied it had to do with the drafting team,
rather than each individual being faster. Also there was some feedling
that having fingertip controls (brake and shift) may have lead to
faster team times. I guess that's somewhat reasonable when you see some
TTT riders with hands on their starting handles, not in the aero bars.

Here are a few links to explanations:

A related comment during stage 4's TTT in the 2005
TdF(http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005...d=live/tour054,
scroll down to 16:16 CEST) says:

"16:16 CEST
....Gerolsteiner is riding with special handlebars today, as DS
Christian Henn told us, "We tested the handlebars during training, when
we reconnoitred the Tour de France TTT parcours. Two years ago, some of
our riders had them already at the Tour. They're wider in the aero
position, which makes steering easier. Clip-ons on the usual TT bars
are very narrow. The disadvantage of this special set-up is that when
there are many turns, it's harder to regain speed after the curve,
because you lack the width of the usual TT handlebar. But when the
course is pretty straight, the team tends to drive more steadily, and
another advantage is that the brakes are right within reach - you don't
have to change position to brake. You can ride wide curves flat out on
in aero position and ride closer to the wheel in front of you, because
you feel safer."

"Michael Rich especially is very much in favour of these bars. We hope
for a good result at the Tour TTT - let's say top eight.""

Also, in Levi's diary
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...hp?id=levi0511)

he says:

"Most of the guys are using special team time trial handlebars. I'm not
because I've chosen to adjust my normal time trial bars a little wider
instead. This way I can stay in them the entire time and still handle
my bike.

Making them wider makes the entire team more aero even though it
doesn't really make the individual rider aero on the front."

Old July 30th 05, 12:48 AM
RonSonic

On 29 Jul 2005 10:17:06 -0700, "Angola" wrote:

If you saw the TdF TTT, you might have noticed the bars on a few of the
Gerolsteiner's bikes: tiny cowhorns without aero handles in the middle.
They rode them (to victory) at Eindhoven TTT, too.
These bars really didn't look that aero with big riders like Michael
Rich on them. The riders didn't look that stretched out. Wonder if
anyone is familiar with these bars and has any thoughts on their use,
their aero qualities.
I've seen similar on the track for the kilo, but not on the road.
Lately anyway.

I read that these were exclusively for the TTT and not the ITT. The wider hand
position was thought to have a negligible aerodynamic effect as a team and be
more comfortable, stable and easier to generate power.

ps This post's subject (unusual new equipment that isn't seen across
all ProTour teams) made me think about the crazy days of the early to
mid 80's when the most outrageous stuff made appearances. Anyone
remember the front wheel on (I think) Visentini's TT bike where the 24"
front disc was actually closer to a "ball." Thinking was, it would
create an air pocket for the churning pedals; Moser's huge, weighted
rear wheel on one of his hour bikes; etc etc...Interesting, too, that
the Czeck who recently set a new hour record rode a weighted 3.2kg rear
wheel. How can that be allowed for the "pure" record?

Or should they be required to drill everything like Merckx's bike?

Ron