Small Jersey

Old May 11th 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Small Jersey

Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys? The one I recently
purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey, is too big, despite it being a
small and described as "slim cut". I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so
quite a bit thinner than the typical North American male. Most jerseys
available online are described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed
fit", which is going the wrong direction.

The tag on the Gore jersey indicates it is (simultaneously)
"American S", "European S", and "Asian M". I assume
S = small, and M = medium. The implication is that what I really
want is an "Asian S", which isn't offered.

--
Joe Riel

Old May 11th 14, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:10:45 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys? The one I recently

purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey, is too big, despite it being a

small and described as "slim cut". I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so

quite a bit thinner than the typical North American male. Most jerseys

available online are described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed

fit", which is going the wrong direction.

The tag on the Gore jersey indicates it is (simultaneously)

"American S", "European S", and "Asian M". I assume

S = small, and M = medium. The implication is that what I really

want is an "Asian S", which isn't offered.

All the European brands run small, IMO. Try Castelli or Santini, or if your mortgage is paid off, Assos.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 11th 14, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.Dubois

Here (in Europe) exists XS, i.e. Extra Small, size.

But may be in the US the solution consists in adressing you to the teenagers
section.

Good luck!

GD

Old May 11th 14, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Lee

On 11/05/2014 00:10, Joe Riel wrote:
Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys? The one I recently
purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey, is too big, despite it being a
small and described as "slim cut". I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so
quite a bit thinner than the typical North American male. Most jerseys
available online are described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed
fit", which is going the wrong direction.

I'm a similar size. I have 2 gore tops, both are labelled small but are
different sizes.

My Xenon II Short Sleeve is the right size (the same as me, no flap,
close fit) and my Contest II Short Sleeve is a size larger, particular
in the waist and perhaps intended to be worn baggy (or by fat people).

Closeness of fit is better the more I pay (all brands). Seems that cheap
shirts are for people with waists exceeding the chest measurement!

I suggest you get the Xenon not Contest. The Contest is described as
"Slim Fit". The Xenon is described as "Tight fit" - this is the one you
want. (Why it costs twice as much to cut the material in wedge...)

James.

Old May 11th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys?
The one I recently purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey,
is too big, despite it being a small and described as "slim cut".
I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so quite a bit thinner than the
typical North American male. Most jerseys available online are
described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed fit", which is
going the wrong direction.

I'm 5'10", 143, and find that "race cut" jerseys in Medium always fit me
fine. This includes jerseys from Champ-Sys, Voler, VOmax, and Pearl Izumi.
So I'd think that a Small, race cut, from any of these brands would fit you
pretty well.

Old May 11th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2014 7:10 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys? The one I recently
purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey, is too big, despite it being a
small and described as "slim cut". I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so
quite a bit thinner than the typical North American male. Most jerseys
available online are described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed
fit", which is going the wrong direction.

The tag on the Gore jersey indicates it is (simultaneously)
"American S", "European S", and "Asian M". I assume
S = small, and M = medium. The implication is that what I really
want is an "Asian S", which isn't offered.

I wonder how difficult it would be to buy the jersey that comes closest
to what you like, then take it in at the side seams. That might work if
the shoulder width was anywhere close to what you need.

I wonder if we can get Joy Beeson to chip in on this?

I recall a long, long time ago (mid-1970s) when Bike Warehouse (whose
name later changed to Bike Nashbar) sold "Patty Kits," which were
pre-cut kits to sew your own bike clothing.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

"Bertrand" writes:

Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys?
The one I recently purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey,
is too big, despite it being a small and described as "slim cut".
I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so quite a bit thinner than the
typical North American male. Most jerseys available online are
described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed fit", which is
going the wrong direction.

I'm 5'10", 143, and find that "race cut" jerseys in Medium always fit
me fine. This includes jerseys from Champ-Sys, Voler, VOmax, and
Pearl Izumi. So I'd think that a Small, race cut, from any of these
brands would fit you pretty well.

I used to be about that size (a couple decades ago), but have shrunk
with age. Another difference is that I then purchased jerseys from my
racing club, which presumably were race cut. The small racing jersey
fits reasonably well, though is a trifle short (I'm mainly arms and
legs). The only cycling stuff that actually fit properly were the skin
suits, but don't have much use for them these days. The small Gore
Contest is too long and too large in the chest. I still wear the old
club jerseys, but wanted something a bit more visible---the club's last
few iterations are quite dark.

--
Joe Riel
Old May 11th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 5/10/2014 7:10 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Any suggestions on where I can find small jerseys? The one I recently
purchased online, a Gore Contest jersey, is too big, despite it being a
small and described as "slim cut". I'm 5'8" and about 128 pounds, so
quite a bit thinner than the typical North American male. Most jerseys
available online are described as "club fit" or, equivalently, "relaxed
fit", which is going the wrong direction.

The tag on the Gore jersey indicates it is (simultaneously)
"American S", "European S", and "Asian M". I assume
S = small, and M = medium. The implication is that what I really
want is an "Asian S", which isn't offered.

I wonder how difficult it would be to buy the jersey that comes
closest to what you like, then take it in at the side seams. That
might work if the shoulder width was anywhere close to what you need.

The difficulty would be getting the wife to do it. But she did purchase
it for me, as a gift, so I might have some pull there. Alternatively I
could finally refurbish the treadle Singer I've had for decades and
learn to use it...

The jersey is also long---I'm not used to having the bottom hang below
my butt. It does make getting stuff out of the rear pocket slightly
easier, but looks stupid.

--
Joe Riel
Old May 11th 14, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: The tag on the Gore jersey indicates it is (simultaneously)
: "American S", "European S", and "Asian M". I assume
: S = small, and M = medium. The implication is that what I really
: want is an "Asian S", which isn't offered.
:

:I wonder how difficult it would be to buy the jersey that comes closest
:to what you like, then take it in at the side seams. That might work if
:the shoulder width was anywhere close to what you need.

:I wonder if we can get Joy Beeson to chip in on this?

I'm not Joy Beeson, but I own sewing machines, and use them. The
difficulty depends on the jersey, the type of seams, and the wears
sensitivities. cheap jersies have serged seams, and have the allowance
sewn down (or not, sometimes.) Theres' a lump there, which can be
annoying. Fancier jersies tend to have flat locked seams, which are,
as the name implies, flat. You can do a serged seam at home (or by an
alterations shop)if you have a serger (or just zig-zaged, the stuff
jerseys are made of doesn't ravel.) Flat lock seams require special
equipment (very expensive), and so can't be done at home. There are
work arounds, ranging from just serge it anyway, which work more or
less well depending on the design, etc.

--
sig 32
Old May 11th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/11/2014 9:49 AM, Joe Riel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

For that sort of thing, an alterations shop is quick and
cheap and will leave a better looking dart than we
occasional sewers. Light material seems to bring out errors,
for me anyway.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/