Removing cogs from a Shimano (Singapore made) freewheel?

Old May 28th 14, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Removing cogs from a Shimano (Singapore made) freewheel?

I have a Shimao 7 speed freewheel made in Singapore. I want to take the cogs off the body. The 7 cogs are silver and there is black ring with 8 recesses on its outer edge. This ring is right beside the smallest cog. I'm assuming that this ring is screwed on. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so, what direction does it come off?

Thanks and cheers
Old May 28th 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/28/2014 4:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I have a Shimao 7 speed freewheel made in Singapore. I want to take the cogs off the body. The 7 cogs are silver and there is black ring with 8 recesses on its outer edge. This ring is right beside the smallest cog. I'm assuming that this ring is screwed on. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so, what direction does it come off?

Thanks and cheers

Normal RH thread, unscrew like a jar lid.

Good question though. It's not like the freewheel body cover
plate which must obviously be reverse threaded.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 28th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:25:45 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/28/2014 4:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I have a Shimao 7 speed freewheel made in Singapore. I want to take the cogs off the body. The 7 cogs are silver and there is black ring with 8 recesses on its outer edge. This ring is right beside the smallest cog. I'm assuming that this ring is screwed on. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so, what direction does it come off?

Thanks and cheers

Normal RH thread, unscrew like a jar lid.

Good question though. It's not like the freewheel body cover

plate which must obviously be reverse threaded.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks again Andrew.

Cheers
Old May 29th 14, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/05/14 07:25, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/28/2014 4:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I have a Shimao 7 speed freewheel made in Singapore. I want to take
the cogs off the body. The 7 cogs are silver and there is black ring
with 8 recesses on its outer edge. This ring is right beside the
smallest cog. I'm assuming that this ring is screwed on. Does anyone
know if this is the case? If so, what direction does it come off?

Thanks and cheers

Normal RH thread, unscrew like a jar lid.

Good question though. It's not like the freewheel body cover plate which
must obviously be reverse threaded.

SirRidesabit would also need a chain whip to hold the body, I imagine.

--
JS
Old May 29th 14, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/28/2014 6:13 PM, James wrote:
On 29/05/14 07:25, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/28/2014 4:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I have a Shimao 7 speed freewheel made in Singapore. I
want to take
the cogs off the body. The 7 cogs are silver and there is
black ring
with 8 recesses on its outer edge. This ring is right
beside the
smallest cog. I'm assuming that this ring is screwed on.
Does anyone
know if this is the case? If so, what direction does it
come off?

Thanks and cheers

Normal RH thread, unscrew like a jar lid.

Good question though. It's not like the freewheel body
cover plate which
must obviously be reverse threaded.

SirRidesabit would also need a chain whip to hold the body,
I imagine.

Won't help. A freewheel vise to hold the low gear sprocket
is the usual tool if you meant unscrewing the outer sprocket
lockring:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/FWVISE2.JPG

What he doesn't need is a chain on a stick because the high
gear sprocket is splined, not threaded, on modern freewheels.

Old May 29th 14, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/05/14 07:25, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Ah, I have always used a chain whip to stop the cluster or cassette
rotating anticlockwise while unscrewing sprockets or lock rings, but
I've always disassembled them while they were built into a wheel.

I can see a freewheel vise would be better if the cluster or cassette
was not on a hub and built into a wheel.

--
JS

FA-Regina ORO freewheel+ Campagnolo freewheel cogs P. Chisholm Marketplace 0 November 14th 08 04:15 PM
How are Type-C Freewheel cogs secured to the body meb[_93_] Techniques 0 April 21st 08 10:11 PM
FA: Suntour Winner Pro Freewheel + cogs Dave Mayer Marketplace 0 March 9th 07 06:49 AM
Freewheel Cogs Neil Smith UK 1 November 12th 06 04:34 AM
Cogs for Dura-Ace freewheel [email protected] Techniques 6 January 21st 05 07:07 AM