You too envy Europe?

Old June 13th 16, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default You too envy Europe?

On 6/12/2016 9:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2016 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:

To quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of
government, except for all the others."

I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe
something like this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same
citizenship that immigrants have to pass. And you have to
pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking test.

Not that we can get there from here. Too many current
voters couldn't pass the tests, so they'd vote the proposals
down.

A poll test? Really? Who watches the watchers?
http://www.crmvet.org/info/lithome.htm

Although I do agree that a democracy (mob rule) is a
dangerous thing as compared to a constitutional republic.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 13th 16, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/13/2016 9:15 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/12/2016 9:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2016 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:

To quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of
government, except for all the others."

I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe
something like this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same
citizenship that immigrants have to pass. And you have to
pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking test.

Not that we can get there from here. Too many current
voters couldn't pass the tests, so they'd vote the proposals
down.

A poll test? Really? Who watches the watchers?

sigh I guess I'll have to volunteer, as usual.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 16, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/13/2016 10:30 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/13/2016 9:15 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/12/2016 9:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2016 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:

To quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of
government, except for all the others."

I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe
something like this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same
citizenship that immigrants have to pass. And you have to
pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking test.

Not that we can get there from here. Too many current
voters couldn't pass the tests, so they'd vote the proposals
down.

A poll test? Really? Who watches the watchers?

sigh I guess I'll have to volunteer, as usual.

Coming soon:
The Ohio Sovereignty Commission, Frank Krygowski chairman.

Old June 13th 16, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 10:00:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/13/2016 10:30 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/13/2016 9:15 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/12/2016 9:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2016 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:

To quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of
government, except for all the others."

I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe
something like this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same
citizenship that immigrants have to pass. And you have to
pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking test.

Not that we can get there from here. Too many current
voters couldn't pass the tests, so they'd vote the proposals
down.

A poll test? Really? Who watches the watchers?

sigh I guess I'll have to volunteer, as usual.

Coming soon:
The Ohio Sovereignty Commission, Frank Krygowski chairman.

https://hiscrivener.files.wordpress....-tolerance.png They're wearing Lycra shorts under those things.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 13th 16, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/13/2016 2:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

:-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 16, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-13-2016 04:25, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe something like
this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same citizenship that immigrants
have to pass. And you have to pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking
test.

The problem with that is that the tests would be re-written to ensure
that opponents of the politicians in power would fail them.

--
Wes Groleau
Old June 13th 16, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-13-2016 17:53, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
OK, here's what we can do. We can issue every retired person a folding bike and so long as they ride it, they can keep voting and receiving their full SS check. That way they will know what's going on in their community and keep their balance as well. Here's this beautiful video with the most soothing music...

So you want me to stop receiving a fraction of what I paid in just
because some idiot in Peru ran over my bike with a tractor?

--
Wes Groleau
Old June 14th 16, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:30:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/13/2016 9:15 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/12/2016 9:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2016 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:

To quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of
government, except for all the others."

I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe
something like this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same
citizenship that immigrants have to pass. And you have to
pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking test.

Not that we can get there from here. Too many current
voters couldn't pass the tests, so they'd vote the proposals
down.

A poll test? Really? Who watches the watchers?

sigh I guess I'll have to volunteer, as usual.

In a more serious vein, wasn't eliminating poll tests a feature of the
Civil Rights movement in the 1960's?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 14th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 6/13/2016 9:15 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/12/2016 9:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2016 11:22 PM, John B. wrote:

To quote Winston Churchill, "Democracy is the worst form of
government, except for all the others."

I think I'd prefer democracy with prerequisites. Maybe
something like this: To vote, you'd have to pass the same
citizenship that immigrants have to pass. And you have to
pass an IQ test, plus a critical thinking test.

Not that we can get there from here. Too many current
voters couldn't pass the tests, so they'd vote the proposals
down.

A poll test? Really? Who watches the watchers?

sigh I guess I'll have to volunteer, as usual.

In a more serious vein, wasn't eliminating poll tests a feature of the
Civil Rights movement in the 1960's?

Yes. But they weren't doing them correctly.

Again, more seriously: ISTM one of the big benefits of democracy is
that no matter who wins, the losers know they're outnumbered. That cuts
down on the chances for a civil war or other revolution; and such
revolutions are almost always disastrous.

But ISTM we've reached a point where broadcast media allows a demagogue
to gain control over a majority which otherwise wouldn't have the
slightest interest in being good citizens, i.e. thoughtful voters who
logically consider the issues and potential solutions.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 14th 16, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-14-2016 02:43, John B. wrote:
Firstly, can one live on the SS payment alone? Even if one has a

Depends on how much it is, obviously. I am currently living on my late
wife's SS and three other pensions. Soon, I switch to my own SS which
will be as much as hers making the pensions "gravy." My lifestyle would
cost about 3300 US dollars a month in Geneva, Switzerland; in New York
City, about 2200; in Mumbai, India, about 600/month. My SS alone is
enough to live _almost_ anywhere in the world.

bicycle? Or would one have to sell the bike in order to buy a wide
screen TV for the bedroom?

_I_ wouldn't. I don't need a TV, wide-screen or wris****ch size.

--
Wes Groleau

You too envy Europe? AMuzi Techniques 22 June 10th 16 12:18 PM
Envy Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 4 June 8th 09 06:57 PM