Stripped #20 Torx: Extraction?

Old June 14th 16, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Stripped #20 Torx: Extraction?

Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

First thing that comes to mind is finding a gunsmith willing to tackle
the extraction.

OTOH, I have no way of judging such a person and it seems like the wrong
person could really mess this thing up.... as in metal filings in the
innards and/or a broken-off bolt with nothing to grab on to for further
extraction efforts.

Thoughts ?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 14th 16, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 12:24:13 PM UTC-7, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

First thing that comes to mind is finding a gunsmith willing to tackle
the extraction.

OTOH, I have no way of judging such a person and it seems like the wrong
person could really mess this thing up.... as in metal filings in the
innards and/or a broken-off bolt with nothing to grab on to for further
extraction efforts.

Thoughts ?

I'd drill it and use an extractor. I just did that on a crank arm pinch bolt that got stripped due to a bad 5mm hex socket. https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...=0&w=300&h=300 That bolt has more meat on it than your hub bolt, but I've also done it on a cleat bolt for an SPD cleat, so it's certainly do-able by the hobbyist.

The worst thing that can happen is that you have to drill it out and use a bunch of tiny taps to clean the threads out. Have Andrew do it. He has extractors, tiny taps and a steady hand, except when he's detoxing. Make sure he does it on a Tuesday.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 14th 16, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/14/2016 2:24 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

First thing that comes to mind is finding a gunsmith willing to tackle
the extraction.

OTOH, I have no way of judging such a person and it seems like the wrong
person could really mess this thing up.... as in metal filings in the
innards and/or a broken-off bolt with nothing to grab on to for further
extraction efforts.

Thoughts ?

I would make two flats or dimples on the outside of the head
(if it protrudes at all) with a 1/8" cylindrical rotary
file. If there's a gunsmith nearby that would be a good path
I think.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 14th 16, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"jbeattie" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 12:24:13 PM UTC-7, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

First thing that comes to mind is finding a gunsmith willing to tackle
the extraction.

OTOH, I have no way of judging such a person and it seems like the wrong
person could really mess this thing up.... as in metal filings in the
innards and/or a broken-off bolt with nothing to grab on to for further
extraction efforts.

Thoughts ?

I'd drill it and use an extractor.

That's a skilled job - slightly off center can destroy the thread - and you
get 2 bites at the cherry; once when drilling a hole for the extractor, and
again when using the extractor. With small bolts, its damn near impossible.

If the bolt head stands proud with no obstruction, a hacksaw (or junior
hacksaw) can make an adequate screwdriver slot. Otherwise a narrow cold
chisel may be the last ditch method. That obviously carries the risk of
damaging the assembly - sometimes if you strip the head of a Torx bolt,
you're just screwed!

One last resort is drilling the head off - if its holding a decent thickness
of flange, there might be enough shank standing proud for vise-grips when
you get the assembly apart.

Old June 14th 16, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 6/14/2016 2:16 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"jbeattie" wrote in message
[...]

OK, so I'm confused by your reply. Sure, if you drill down into the
bolt's shank, everything you say sounds correct. But can't you drill a
larger, shallow dimple into the torx head, and use a larger-size
extractor to bite into the head? (Oh, and try some penetrating oil
first, because that bolt must be pretty seized to destroy a torx
fitting, no?) Or maybe just take the extractor directly to the existing
torx hole?

OR (serious question, really) - does my suggestion not work? Nearly
tried this about two weeks ago with a tiny allen bolt, then I managed to
get it out with the proper key on my "last try" before going to
implements of destruction. Turns out it wasn't anywhere near as seized
as I thought, thankfully.

Mark J.
Old June 14th 16, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 2:15:22 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
"jbeattie" wrote in message
[...]

Drilling and extracting a M5 bolt isn't that hard, but it is fairly high consequence. Andrew probably has the best approach anyway -- grind some flats with a rotary file. With the countersinking, you're not going to get a hacksaw on it. Taking the head off might work though.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 14th 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are cases where tapping a slightly larger Torx or
allen key into the head can give enough purchase to move it.
The thread locker may resist that effort.

Slitting across the head with a hacksaw can work. The heat
of that will probably break your loctite so a flat
screwdriver could turn it out.

Making flats or dimples on the outer edges with a die
grinder and a rotary file works the same. There's localized
heat for your loctite and then the head may be grasped with
a mini vise (mole) grip and turned out. I like that better
than a flat screwdriver but either is a reasonable path.

A consultation with a gunsmith if there's one nearby is also
a good idea.

I'm less excited about center drilling a small hardened bolt
for a reverse remover (EZ Out) but the careful man might
try. Where the piece could mount nice and straight in a
drill press I'd be more in favor but a built wheel isn't
conducive to it.

Old June 15th 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

"jbeattie" wrote in message
[...]

Looking at the arrangement of the holes, I take back what I said about the hacksaw. A short blade could get in there.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 15th 16, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=warren+kni...trument+repair
Old June 15th 16, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c.../data=!3m1!4b1

OT Torx drill bit Judith[_4_] UK 56 March 13th 12 08:25 AM
crank extraction tool grylion UK 10 February 19th 06 11:38 PM
Stronglight crank extraction David Damerell Techniques 2 June 6th 05 07:38 PM
bolt extraction j morelstein Techniques 10 January 19th 05 03:07 AM
torx Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 2 May 16th 04 05:48 PM