Stripped #20 Torx: Extraction?

Old June 15th 16, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stripped #20 Torx: Extraction?

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:50:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:48:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
https://www.google.com/#q=warren+kni...trument+repair

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c.../data=!3m1!4b1

carpenter ?

https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!4b1
Old June 15th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=rohloff+repair
Old June 15th 16, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:56:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:53:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:50:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:48:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
https://www.google.com/#q=warren+kni...trument+repair

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c.../data=!3m1!4b1

carpenter ?

https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!4b1

https://www.google.com/#q=rohloff+repair

use a suitable drill press and jig holding the expletive deleted Rohloff who sold you one bad screw..hahahahahhaha......hey its your nickel.....hahahhahha..

then when the time comes, heat the male...if possible with a pinpoint torch n extract.

but the $$$....machine shop tellum not to drill thru the screw.

prob have a wizard impact extractor for production work....

there should be a shop specializing in small parts rehab.....more than happy to extract for $75....hahahhahha..

oh well. time to start up the tractor n goover to Chevron priming for a night ride into KSC.

gotta go during daylight iffn the Arabs are near.....
Old June 15th 16, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in :

Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

Use a rotary tool to slice the head across, and use a flat head screwdriver.
Make sure the cut is deep enough so you don't strip that too.
Old June 15th 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

By the way... Why so many bolts?
Just curious.
Old June 15th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/14/2016 8:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in :

Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

Use a rotary tool to slice the head across, and use a flat head screwdriver.
Make sure the cut is deep enough so you don't strip that too.

My first thought as well. The overlapping countersinks should allow a
Dremel with a thin cutting wheel to give you a full width slot.

As others have mentioned, the heat from the cutting operation should
soften up the Loctite. If it didn't, I'd hit it with a soldering iron tip.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/14/2016 8:21 PM, John Doe wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

By the way... Why so many bolts?
Just curious.

I think they use only half of them, and the extras allow for fine tuning
the angular orientation of the part. You get to choose position within
30 degrees instead of 60 degrees.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ace move here is fastener awareness week.

feel the torx ...then find mil spec replacements before OEM garbage sets in.
Old June 15th 16, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

You put Loctite/superglue in a bolthole? Given this experience, you
might want to avoid that. I use it on nuts and bolt heads, and a jillion
other things. You could put it on the outside area, the bolt head
(avoiding the center). But I wouldn't put it in a bolthole where the
bolt should be removable. It being a Torx head makes a bad situation
worse.
Old June 15th 16, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 8:44:30 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

You put Loctite/superglue in a bolthole? Given this experience, you
might want to avoid that. I use it on nuts and bolt heads, and a jillion
other things. You could put it on the outside area, the bolt head
(avoiding the center). But I wouldn't put it in a bolthole where the
bolt should be removable. It being a Torx head makes a bad situation
worse.

I use blue Loctite on disc rotor bolts. In fact, most rotor bolts come with it pre-applied. https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Disc-Rot.../dp/B000BR30KO
Although the dry product is more or less just thread filler. Anyway, I haven't had significant problems removing my rotors, and if I were worried, I would hit it with a heat gun before removal.

Sort of OT, but I recently Loctited some chain ring bolts. My son and I have had a recent rash of lost chainring bolts.

-- Jay Beattie.

OT Torx drill bit Judith[_4_] UK 56 March 13th 12 08:25 AM
crank extraction tool grylion UK 10 February 19th 06 11:38 PM
Stronglight crank extraction David Damerell Techniques 2 June 6th 05 07:38 PM
bolt extraction j morelstein Techniques 10 January 19th 05 03:07 AM
torx Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 2 May 16th 04 05:48 PM