Toughest road bike tires?

Old June 19th 16, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Toughest road bike tires?

I recommend CST Correre road tires. They are very strong, yet inexpensive.
Old June 19th 16, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:51:58 +1000, James
wrote:

On 18/06/16 07:44, Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
While I really like Continental Gatorskins because of their tough

snip the blah blah blah

Get solid ones and done with it. Geezzzz....

Best answer yet.

I see a number of You tube films on filling tires with foam that would
seem to solve the problem, permanently. Do it yourself projects so the
cost is essentially just the can of foam.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 19th 16, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 19/06/16 05:12, Ralph Barone wrote:

snip

I'm also running the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my touring bike. Perhaps the
best testimonial I can give to these tires is that, while packing for an
upcoming bike tour, I discovered that my spare tube was the wrong size, and
that two tubes of vulcanizing compound had dried up. Punctures have become
a much more theoretical issue to me. Mounting them on my rims (Alex
Adventurer) is a bit more of a challenge, but not a problem if you think,
and don't just try to muscle them on. I also buy the largest tubes I can
fit, on the assumption that the rubber will be under less tension, and thus
less likely to leak when/if it gets punctured.

Sounds reasonable, anyone no if it is actually the case?
Old June 19th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-18 07:37, Roger Merriman wrote:
Bertrand wrote:

While I really like Continental Gatorskins because of their tough
running surface and acceptable cost per mile they have one major
drawback that almost all "modern" tires have: Weak side walls. I have
tubes with 0.120" (3mm) wall thickness in there but on Tuesday I got a
thorn through a sidewall and it went all the way ... psheeeoooouuu ...
resulting in a nice long walk home because getting those Gatorskins off
a flat Mavic rim out on the street is next to impossible. Other
Gatorskins came to premature grief because a side wall failed and an
"aneurysm" developed. So once I am through with my stash of remaining
Gatorskins I want to buy something better.

Which 700c/25mm tire has high puncture resistance _and_ thick sturdy
sidewalls like they were in the good old days? Wishlist:

1. 25mm wide would be nice. 28mm could become a challenge.

2. Doesn't have to be a racing slick. A coarse tread might actually be
nice for dirt roads. A cyclocross tire would be good if it isn't
fast-wearing on the road (like MTB tires unfortunately are).

3. Cost: $0.02/mile is what Gatorskins cost and I find that ok for a
bicycle tire.

4. Weight: Does not matter at all. Wire bead is fine.

5. Rolling resistance: Does not matter. I don't need to win a race but I
do need it to withstand very ugly road surfaces. And it must handle
weight because I often schlepp stuff on the road bike (luggage rack).

6. Ideally, easier mounting on flat rims. The Gatorskins seem a bit
undersized and only go on or come off my Mavic Module 3 Argent D rims
with brute force. On Tuesday I even snapped a nice Topeak lever getting
it off to fix the flat.

I've never used them, but the Schwalbe Marathon Plus seem to be the popular
tires for very tough conditions, and are available in 25mm:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...thon-plus-700c

They are supposed to be hard to mount, though.

i used them for a few years then the bike got stolen...

No harder to mount than any other tyre to be honest, I found.

Depends on the rims. I you have deep rims then just about any tire is
easy to mount. I have helped people fix flats (a surprising number of
road bike riders is quite clumsy at that) and mostly I could get the
tires off sans tools. But with my Mavic Module 3 rims, no dice. Their
cross section is almost square.

fairly shallow section rims I used a number of different tyres M+
gatorskins, mavic ones. all much of a muchness.

The Vredesteins I used in Europe went on and off in seconds. Fixing a
flat on the road was easy, something that is now next to impossible.
However, those tires were no match for the road conditions in
California, flats galore.

The worse I ever had where some DH tyres which did require a fair bit of
effort, the same rims pop on/off easly the XC tyres I now have on the
same rims.

I am trying to find DH-style tires for the 29" XC MTB, also for
durability reasons. The latest purchase is a CST Rock Hawk with thicker
side walls. Weighs over 2lbs so that is good news. I haven't mounted it
yet but the MTB has deep rims so tires come on and off in a breeze.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 19th 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/19/2016 10:26 AM, Joerg wrote:

The Vredesteins I used in Europe went on and off in seconds. Fixing a
flat on the road was easy, something that is now next to impossible.
However, those tires were no match for the road conditions in
California, flats galore.

In general, I find kevlar bead tires harder to mount & unmount compared
to tires with steel wire beads. I wonder if that's part of the
explanation for your experiences?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-19 08:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/19/2016 10:26 AM, Joerg wrote:

The Vredesteins I used in Europe went on and off in seconds. Fixing a
flat on the road was easy, something that is now next to impossible.
However, those tires were no match for the road conditions in
California, flats galore.

In general, I find kevlar bead tires harder to mount & unmount compared
to tires with steel wire beads. I wonder if that's part of the
explanation for your experiences?

Yes, Kevlar doesn't stretch. I always prefer steel beads and almost all
my tires are steel bead. Except for one MTB tire I used to ride which
didn't come with steel.

If I still had old Betsy here I could pre-stretch the Gatorskins a little:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/images/splitter.JPG

But I want to get away from Gatorskins anyhow on account of their weak
side walls. So I'll have to minimize rides on rough turf until the last
one is through.

Old June 19th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 10:41:46 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-06-17 17:12, wrote:
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:07:13 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Other question: Does anyone know where to buy those thick tubes? Not the
regular Sunlites but ones with thick walls all around (not just towards
the running surface). I bought mine at a LBS that now went out of
business so I can't buy any there or ask. I fixed the tube that blew
Tuesday but it's iffy, was a big gash.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

not all Conti have thinwalls. Thinwalls give handling. Lose the thinwall....move toward wood.

buy another Conti, doahn give your bucks to the Chinese

Which Conti then? I don't care about handling, I care about flat-free
rides and that requires beefy sidewalls plus sturdy running surface layers.

yawl doahn know how to mount n dismount tires..

So with all your wisdom, please share a better method to get a tight
tire on and off a shallow Mavic Module D rim.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Conti's website plus blogs will get you there...very comprehensive and clearly stated ...response to competition.

search my email or datakoll tire

the subject posts will appear.

appreciate your response. we are sending to many dimes n nickels to the Chinese on bike parts....no good reason sending the Chinese tire money.

NONE

Old June 19th 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-06-19 08:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/19/2016 10:26 AM, Joerg wrote:

The Vredesteins I used in Europe went on and off in seconds. Fixing a
flat on the road was easy, something that is now next to impossible.
However, those tires were no match for the road conditions in
California, flats galore.

In general, I find kevlar bead tires harder to mount & unmount compared
to tires with steel wire beads. I wonder if that's part of the
explanation for your experiences?

Yes, Kevlar doesn't stretch. I always prefer steel beads and almost all
my tires are steel bead. Except for one MTB tire I used to ride which
didn't come with steel.

OK, a technical point for you: Kevlar does stretch, and it stretches
more than steel. (Keep in mind, steel stretches too! Just not much.)

In technical terms, Kevlar's modulus of elasticity (or Young's modulus,
i.e. stiffness) is only about half that of steel. Tire manufacturers can
make up for this by using a thicker Kevlar bead compared to a steel one.
I don't know if they do, I've not yet cut apart a Kevlar bead tire.
But perhaps some of them make up for it by making the bead diameter
slightly smaller for Kevlar tires.

I really can't say for sure. I just know that I've found Kevlar bead
tires a bit more difficult to mount, on average. YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 20th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2016-06-19 08:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

cut off a Dimlap SP 44 coupla weeks back. Extinct 1999 ? Nice tire.

steel bead maybe 3/8ths n a wee bit.

SOB. pry n prang.pop popop