doubling up single Torpedo wire wheels

Old June 19th 16, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default doubling up single Torpedo wire wheels

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 00:54:19 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

O.K. found it. I suspect that the reason that
the small wheels are a bit rare is that they
are likely "over kill" as a simple guide
seems to work perfectly well. (and might be
cheaper too :-)

Well, they are on all the Torpedo 3 and 5
speeds which are extreamly common (we typically
don't have the British brand at all) - also,
Torpedo was officially or unofficially (?)
copied or closed-to copied in Soviet-block
countries, so there are many "pulleys" -
I think it might be just random I have the
"single wheels" but not the doubles... Anyway
I suspect doubling them up will work just fine
because the wires are calibrated individually
at the hub!

I tried to find some photos of a "Torpedo 5", but none of them were
very clear although they seemed to show the "wheels", and the cable,
above the top of the chain, which I assume has something to do with
where the cable attaches to a gear change mechanism.

But in any event I can't see any reason that they wouldn't work, but
if they didn't it should be pretty easy to correct any problems..
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 19th 16, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I tried to find some photos of a "Torpedo 5",

Try: Torpedo Pentasport

but none of them were very clear although
they seemed to show the "wheels"

Pulleys!

- so far: 52 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 19th 16, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 05:29:42 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I tried to find some photos of a "Torpedo 5",

Try: Torpedo Pentasport

I tried. Many photos of the entire bike and the rear hub but no
pulley.

but none of them were very clear although
they seemed to show the "wheels"

Pulleys!

O.K. pulleys.... I though that I remembered you saying "wheel" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 19th 16, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I tried. Many photos of the entire bike and
the rear hub but no pulley.

OK, I get a photo!

But it looks very much like the single wheel
version only it has one on each side!
The wheels are identical what I can see and you
can pick them apart and move them between the
versions as they sometimes break (being
plastic).

but none of them were very clear although
they seemed to show the "wheels"

Pulleys!

O.K. pulleys.... I though that I remembered
you saying "wheel" :-)

It was AMuzi who just know tought me better

- so far: 52 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 19th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/18/2016 6:45 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:05:54 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Now it works:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...able-guide.jpg

O.K. found it. I suspect that the reason that the small wheels are a
bit rare is that they are likely "over kill" as a simple guide seems
to work perfectly well.
(and might be cheaper too :-)

A couple years ago I converted an old custom frame to a 3-speed, using a
Sturmey-Archer hub I had on hand. At first, I used a plastic pulley
just like that, but eventually abandoned it. Due to the long lug
points, the pulley had some misalignment, and the cable would derail and
eat away at the pulley. I've used the brazed on guides at the bottom
bracket ever since, with no serious problems.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 16, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

John B. writes:

I tried to find some photos of a "Torpedo 5",

Try: Torpedo Pentasport

I tried. Many photos of the entire bike and the rear hub but no
pulley.

but none of them were very clear although
they seemed to show the "wheels"

Pulleys!

O.K. pulleys.... I though that I remembered you saying "wheel" :-)

I got that. English is not Mr Ber's first language but
"Bicycle Rider English" is one of my acquired patoises.

c.f. 'flippers', 'squeezers', 'rat traps', each of which may
describe several different objects depending on context. You
may be familiar with the interchangeable terms, 'tire',
'rim' and 'wheel', as in "I have a flat wheel." or "My tire
is bent."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 19th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

John B. writes:

I tried to find some photos of a "Torpedo 5",

Try: Torpedo Pentasport

I tried. Many photos of the entire bike and the rear hub but no
pulley.

but none of them were very clear although
they seemed to show the "wheels"

Pulleys!

O.K. pulleys.... I though that I remembered you saying "wheel" :-)

I got that. English is not Mr Ber's first language but "Bicycle Rider
English" is one of my acquired patoises.

c.f. 'flippers', 'squeezers', 'rat traps', each of which may describe
several different objects depending on context. You may be familiar with
the interchangeable terms, 'tire', 'rim' and 'wheel', as in "I have a
flat wheel." or "My tire is bent."

Then there's "tar" vs. "tire" in the southern U.S.

That caused me grief on one occasion. I'd ridden past some "Road
Closed" signs on a long hot rural ride home from work, because any way
around would have added tens of miles, and bikes can almost always get
through.

Anyway, some guy in a passing work truck yelled some sort of warning
about my "tar" or some other "tar." My tires looked fine, so I rolled on
- and got sprayed with a fine mist of genuine TAR from a truck preparing
for road paving.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote:

Now it works:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...able-guide.jpg

O.K. found it. I suspect that the reason that the small wheels are a
bit rare is that they are likely "over kill" as a simple guide seems
to work perfectly well.
(and might be cheaper too :-)

A couple years ago I converted an old custom frame to a 3-speed, using a
Sturmey-Archer hub I had on hand. At first, I used a plastic pulley just
like that, but eventually abandoned it.

The steel pulleys tend to rust and seize - the plastic pulleys, only the pin
rusts and that wears the pulley.

So the plastic pulleys get wobbly - but they keep working longer.

Old June 19th 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Now it works:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...able-guide.jpg

O.K. found it. I suspect that the reason that the small
wheels are a
bit rare is that they are likely "over kill" as a simple
guide seems
to work perfectly well.
(and might be cheaper too :-)

A couple years ago I converted an old custom frame to a
3-speed, using a Sturmey-Archer hub I had on hand. At
first, I used a plastic pulley just like that, but
eventually abandoned it.

The steel pulleys tend to rust and seize - the plastic
pulleys, only the pin rusts and that wears the pulley.

So the plastic pulleys get wobbly - but they keep working
longer.

A modern nylon plate under the BB works very well. I added
one in 1985, no trouble since.

Old June 20th 16, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

John B. writes:

I tried to find some photos of a "Torpedo 5",

Try: Torpedo Pentasport

I tried. Many photos of the entire bike and the rear hub but no
pulley.

but none of them were very clear although
they seemed to show the "wheels"

Pulleys!

O.K. pulleys.... I though that I remembered you saying "wheel" :-)

I got that. English is not Mr Ber's first language but
"Bicycle Rider English" is one of my acquired patoises.

No, it is apparently not, but never the less he does better at it than
some "Americans".

c.f. 'flippers', 'squeezers', 'rat traps', each of which may
describe several different objects depending on context. You
may be familiar with the interchangeable terms, 'tire',
'rim' and 'wheel', as in "I have a flat wheel." or "My tire
is bent."

I'm reminded of the fellow that came in the shop one day wanting to
know if we had a "fat thread" bolt.

--
cheers,

John B.