Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

Old March 21st 18, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks, will look
for that brand then.

Hmmmm. I wonder where you could buy a water bottle? https://tinyurl.com/y9zbb7fg

All the way across town among the mountain lions and along
the Singletrack Trail of Death? For a mere plastic bottle?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 21st 18, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/20/2018 6:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

It's impossible. There's absolutely no way.

So go to your LBS.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 21st 18, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:58:10 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So the
Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

Sure. Buy a set of bottle cages made from steel or aluminum rod and
just bend them to fit.

I built a rack to hold two large bottles behind the seat and that is
what I did. It's been working for a number of years now with no
problems.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 21st 18, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So
the Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

A standard bicycle water bottle is 2.875" (73 mm).

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other electronics
we'd get flogged for that.

There are cages available for larger bottles. I have the best large cage
on a couple of bicycles. It means one bottle instead of two. It's also
extremely secure. It's item #1 on my page at
http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs. There is also a cage for a growler (#3).

Then I'd have another boutique solution, new bottles and all that. I was
hoping the bicycle industry would have agree to a bottle standard but
that hope was just dashed, like many others.

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap, at
Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the bottle in and
out.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style. However,
that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily without pushing the
bungee down.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Your waterbottle holder can't handle a diameter difference of 1.8 mm? Get a better one.

Lou
Old March 21st 18, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So the
Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

Sure. Buy a set of bottle cages made from steel or aluminum rod and
just bend them to fit.

I built a rack to hold two large bottles behind the seat and that is
what I did. It's been working for a number of years now with no
problems.

Or any of the modern cages that squeeze the bottle, e.g. https://tinyurl.com/y9ykn6tv This design has a more positive hold than the rod cages. Of course, Joerg will need the uber gnarly "Gorilla Cage" with 14 lb grip. https://www.all3sports.com/products/...SABEgII-_D_BwE

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 21st 18, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks, will look
for that brand then.

Hmmmm. I wonder where you could buy a water bottle? https://tinyurl.com/y9zbb7fg

I wrote that I have a source for fitting bottles, I could just buy more
from Cal Gear because they fit like a glove.

The reason for my post was to find out why there isn't a real standard.
Like there is for wheel diameters, tires (well, maybe with the exception
of some Contis). I guess nobody knows.

Old March 21st 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:

[...]

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap,
at Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the
bottle in and out.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style.
However, that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily
without pushing the bungee down.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Your waterbottle holder can't handle a diameter difference of 1.8 mm?
Get a better one.

It can but it cannot when they also messed up the indentation location
by more than 1/4". Which they did. Same for all other holders I tried
and there were some high-priced ones.

Old March 21st 18, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks, will look
for that brand then.

Hmmmm.Â* I wonder where you could buy a water bottle?
https://tinyurl.com/y9zbb7fg

I wrote that I have a source for fitting bottles, I could just buy more
from Cal Gear because they fit like a glove.

The reason for my post was to find out why there isn't a real standard.
Like there is for wheel diameters, tires (well, maybe with the exception
of some Contis). I guess nobody knows.

You're right, there is a real standard for wheel and tire sizes! It's
described in the four tables and one chart toward the bottom of this
page: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

As Andrew says, standards are wonderful. That's why we have so many.

If you think it's valuable to have a set of water bottle standards,
perhaps you should work up a similar set of tables for water bottles and
their cages. But I doubt very many people will be interested.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 21st 18, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

My favorite is a King Cage Ti rod waterbottle cage. Never had problems with any waterbottle. Last for life and doesn't stain your waterbottles.

Lou
Old March 21st 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:

[...]

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap,
at Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the
bottle in and out.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style.
However, that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily
without pushing the bungee down.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Your waterbottle holder can't handle a diameter difference of 1.8 mm?
Get a better one.

It can but it cannot when they also messed up the indentation location
by more than 1/4". Which they did. Same for all other holders I tried
and there were some high-priced ones.

Perhaps you need an adjustable bottle cage, one that changes shape to
accommodate different diameters and different lengths of bottles with
different indentation locations. And it should happen automatically!
After all, cars have power seats that adjust to different butts. And we
know your bike already has a proper electrical system.

Why is bicycle technology always so far behind car technology?

--
- Frank Krygowski