No tire clearance; need low aspect ratio tire advice

Old February 5th 05, 06:20 AM
Jim Hultman

Default No tire clearance; need low aspect ratio tire advice

I've bought a custom ti frame cheap, and now I know why; tire clearance
issue: The 23mm Conti's mounted on Open Pro's I've installed rub the seat
tube!

I've switched to 20mm Conti's but still have contact.

I then measured wheels with mounted tires in my garage & found that Avocet's
& Michelin's are as much as 0.8cm smaller in diameter.

Have you any other low aspect ratio tires to steer me toward? Would sew-ups
give clearance?

Nice frame; can't figure why it was built so tight.

Thanks,
Jim

Old February 5th 05, 09:19 AM

Reminds me of the levis outlet store. Cheep pants but all the pockets
have no bottoms. What a deal! Maybe its a tri frame try 650c wheels.

Old February 5th 05, 11:46 AM
Andy M-S

Jim Hultman wrote:
I've bought a custom ti frame cheap, and now I know why; tire

clearance
issue: The 23mm Conti's mounted on Open Pro's I've installed rub the

seat
tube!

I've switched to 20mm Conti's but still have contact.

I then measured wheels with mounted tires in my garage & found that

Avocet's
& Michelin's are as much as 0.8cm smaller in diameter.

Have you any other low aspect ratio tires to steer me toward? Would

sew-ups
give clearance?

Nice frame; can't figure why it was built so tight.

Thanks,
Jim

IRC used to make a tire called the Triathlon Duro or somesuch. The
25mm version was smaller than most 23s I've seen--very similar to
Avocets of four or five years ago...

Old February 5th 05, 03:43 PM
Dave Reckoning

"Jim Hultman" wrote in message
I've bought a custom ti frame cheap, and now I know why; tire clearance
issue: The 23mm Conti's mounted on Open Pro's I've installed rub the seat
tube!

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, how is the reach on your brakes? If your pads are at the bottom of the
calipers then it just may be possible that you have a frame which was
designed for 650 wheels not 700 wheels.

Dave

Old February 5th 05, 05:00 PM
Sheldon Brown

Jim Hultman wrote:

I've bought a custom ti frame cheap, and now I know why; tire clearance
issue: The 23mm Conti's mounted on Open Pro's I've installed rub the seat
tube!

I've switched to 20mm Conti's but still have contact.

I then measured wheels with mounted tires in my garage & found that Avocet's
& Michelin's are as much as 0.8cm smaller in diameter.

Have you any other low aspect ratio tires to steer me toward? Would sew-ups
give clearance?

Nice frame; can't figure why it was built so tight.

Depending on what sort of riding you plan to do, this might make a good
candadte for 650B (584 mm) wheel conversion.

I just did this on a bike of mine that was never comfortable due to
excessively tight clearance, and it has absolutely transformed it.

See: http://sheldonbrown.org/iro

Sheldon "A Change For The Better!" Brown
| I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, |
| especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old February 5th 05, 05:09 PM
m-gineering

Jim Hultman wrote:

I've bought a custom ti frame cheap, and now I know why; tire clearance
issue: The 23mm Conti's mounted on Open Pro's I've installed rub the seat
tube!

I've switched to 20mm Conti's but still have contact.

I then measured wheels with mounted tires in my garage & found that Avocet's
& Michelin's are as much as 0.8cm smaller in diameter.

Have you any other low aspect ratio tires to steer me toward? Would sew-ups
give clearance?

Nice frame; can't figure why it was built so tight.

Take it to a framebuilder, he might be able to put a dimple in the
seattube
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old February 5th 05, 08:06 PM

Jim Hultman writes:

I've bought a custom ti frame cheap, and now I know why; tire
clearance issue: The 23mm Conti's mounted on Open Pro's I've
installed rub the seat tube!

I've switched to 20mm Conti's but still have contact.

I then measured wheels with mounted tires in my garage & found that
Avocet's & Michelin's are as much as 0.8cm smaller in diameter.

Have you any other low aspect ratio tires to steer me toward? Would
sew-ups give clearance?

Nice frame; can't figure why it was built so tight.

You have a stoooopid bicycle that plays to the short-quick-close-coupled
audience. Get rid of it. There are people who love that stuff and
don't ride enough to notice.

Jobst Brandt