Brake pads eating rims?

Old June 27th 05, 06:37 PM

Default Brake pads eating rims?

Hi all,

Bought a new road bike this year:
Shimano WH-R550 wheelset
Tektro RX40 brakes

Rode maybe 50 miles, and found that my braking power was weak. Also, I
heard what I can only describe as a horrible scraping sound.

So I remove my wheels and inspect my brake pads. What do I find?
Several chunks of bright, shiny metal (I assume from my rims).
My LBS tells me that "Yeah, they're crappy brakes" (actually referring
to the brake pads). He gave me some DA pads for replacement.

I cleaned up the rims, put the new pads on the bike and voila!
Instantly better stopping power......

Rode yesterday morning...everything was okay until a 50mph twisty
descent. Near the bottom I did some *moderate* braking (slightly more
pressure than my typical controlled traffic light stop, just to get me
back down to 35-40 mph). Suddenly, I hear that horrible "eating your
rims" sound.

Since I'm in the middle of a long ride and have no extra pads, I stop
and dig out the shards of metal in my rear brake pads. Then, I proceed
to test 'em out, only to discover that the front brakes have become
relatively weak/noisey. Stop again, and find that the front pads are
wearing in an irregular pattern (more wear on bottom than on top...but
no metal this time). Both sets of pads appear to be properly aligned
with the rim when engaged.

WTF? Does this happen to anyone else? Why are my rims being eaten? I
don't care about replacing worn brake pads once in a while, but
replacing my new rims on my new bicycle......grrrrr.

FWIW, I have heard about using KoolStop Salmons, but my LBS didn't have
any. I'm not convinced that they'd be much better than the DA
pads....to me it seems like a rim problem. Should my LBS deal with
this, or am I stuck with crappy rims?

TIA,
Dave

Old June 27th 05, 06:55 PM

do you see spots where chunks of metal departed from the rim? a
magnifier?

Old June 27th 05, 07:08 PM

There is some definite pitting on the rim; not a lot, but enough to
indicate some metal has been stripped. It's difficult to describe the
size of the pits...they are visible on close inspection, but not
terribly apparent otherwise.

Also, running the rim through my fingers (and visually), I can detect
some "banding" of the rim....grooves, if you will. I am a newbie, but
I don't believe that the grooves are outside the realm of normal rim
wear; I haven't done a lot of braking with metal in the pads. Rims
aren't expected to be perfectly smooth and polished like disc rotors,
are they?

Old June 27th 05, 08:11 PM

search bike.tech to
"stop on a quarter" do not include quotes in the search box

the rim metal may have embedded impurities from say fishing sinkers
embbed in budweiser aluminum.

does shimano rubber have fishing sinkers embedded?

shimano pads are not to be thrown away.

i experienced the problem. a squeek means stop and look NOW not next
week. You get enough waste (not wear and tear) after stoping NOW, next
week is much worse.

pulling the metal fro the pad with a pick solved the problem.

as remembered, the rim's brake surface has a smal pocketc followed in
rotation direction by a linear gouge where the metal particle embedded
itself into the rubber. the linear (or circumferential) gouge becomes
more shallow as the metal particle digs and buries itself into the pad
from rim frcition and presssure.

i concluded the particle was road debris?

Old June 28th 05, 04:26 AM
Collin

wrote:
[...]

When you replace your pads, also carefully sand the rims down with very
gritty sandpaper in the direction of rotation. The objective is to
smooth out those pits. I found that the pits have burrs on them which
embed in the new pads, which in turn exacerbate the problem. So, if
your rims are sanded down and cleaned to remove all those microscopic
pieces of aluminum (incidentally aluminum oxide has a hardness index
close to quartz) and you put clean pads on, that should do the trick.
Old June 28th 05, 06:20 AM

Neil Collin writes:

When you replace your pads, also carefully sand the rims down with
very gritty sandpaper in the direction of rotation. The objective
is to smooth out those pits. I found that the pits have burrs on
them which embed in the new pads, which in turn exacerbate the
problem. So, if your rims are sanded down and cleaned to remove all
those microscopic pieces of aluminum (incidentally aluminum oxide
has a hardness index close to quartz) and you put clean pads on,
that should do the trick.

Don't do that. There is no need to remove any more material from the
rim, it is already damaged enough. If you use Kool-Stop salmon
colored pads, there is no need for any of that. In fact the rougher
the rim (longitudinal grooved) the easier it will be to brake hard
right away with new pads an the smaller the tendency to squeal.
That's why rims are machined these days, because it suppresses squeal
for new bicycle demo's.

I don't know what benefit you imagine by sanding the rim. There are
no "pits" in the rim. There are only grooves from aluminum oxide
cutting tools embedded in poor brake pads.