Severe brake squeal/chatter: Tektro Onyx brakes w/ Kool-Stop Salmon pads

Old July 25th 05, 08:44 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

Default Severe brake squeal/chatter: Tektro Onyx brakes w/ Kool-Stop Salmon pads

Dear group,

I'm having trouble with brake noise. The brakes in question are Tektro
Onyx. Originally, on the factory pads, I had no brake noise whatsoever. I
changed to Kool-Stop Salmon pads (with off-center stud), which squealed
horribly and displayed chatter on hard braking as well.

Wear didn't seem to make any change. After a few hundred miles, I added
toe-in; rather severe toe-in was required to quiet them (though they still
gave slight noise just as rotation ceased).

Now, however, 600-800 miles later, the noise is back with a vengance.

The brakes are pretty loose; the arms have significant wiggle. Is this
likely to be the problem? Would better brakes improve the situation? What
about switching to sidepull caliper brakes?

Thanks for any help,

Reid
Old July 25th 05, 09:20 PM
merryfreakinxmas

"Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
news
Dear group,

I'm having trouble with brake noise. The brakes in question are Tektro
Onyx. Originally, on the factory pads, I had no brake noise whatsoever. I
changed to Kool-Stop Salmon pads (with off-center stud), which squealed
horribly and displayed chatter on hard braking as well.

Wear didn't seem to make any change. After a few hundred miles, I added
toe-in; rather severe toe-in was required to quiet them (though they still
gave slight noise just as rotation ceased).

Now, however, 600-800 miles later, the noise is back with a vengance.

The brakes are pretty loose; the arms have significant wiggle. Is this
likely to be the problem? Would better brakes improve the situation? What
about switching to sidepull caliper brakes?

Thanks for any help,

Reid

I had the same problem with koolstop on the back of a recumbent. They work
fine on the front. I was using sram 7.0 v-brake style. ANY pressure caused
screaming from the rear brake. I tried toe in to the extend that the brake
were very mushy. Cleaning the pads didn't help, a booster didn't help,
sanding rims didn't help. I even filed down one of the bosses to get rid of
brake arm wiggle.

What helped was switching the pads to ones made by trace / lambert. The
number of the package is 21-1526-0 Also they are the replaceable cartridge
type.

The complete saga can be read at google "rear brake screaming on tailwind"
on the recumbent group.

Old July 26th 05, 03:15 AM
Kovie

[...]

I also get a horrible squeal with black Kool Stops on my Ultegra sidepull
brakes. I swapped out the original Shimano pads after 1600+ miles, mostly
because I wasn't entirely happy with their stopping power (which in hilly
Seattle is important), and read online that the KS's were supposedly leagues
better. Well, they do brake better, but not THAT much better, and in any
case the squeal is simply not worth it. I fully expect local dogs to come
running after me and windows to break if this keeps up, if my eardrums don't
burst first.

I think I'm going to go back to Shimano pads. I read somewhere that they've
come out with a new rubber compound that's supposed to improve braking
power.

Sorry I can't help you with your brake problem, but if they're loose then
that's not a good sign. Have you had them checked by a LBS? What kinds of
brakes are they? I don't know anything about this brand but if they're
low-end you might want to think about upgrading to better ones. Check out
the online shops or www.roadbikereview.com.

Good luck, and keep those earplugs on!

--
Kovie
zen

Old July 29th 05, 06:56 AM
maxo

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:44:46 -0500, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

Dear group,

I'm having trouble with brake noise. The brakes in question are Tektro
Onyx. Originally, on the factory pads, I had no brake noise whatsoever. I
changed to Kool-Stop Salmon pads (with off-center stud), which squealed
horribly and displayed chatter on hard braking as well.

dumb question: have you tried cleaning your rims? :P

Yeah, loose brake arms can make funny noises, any reason you can't tighten
them?

I've been more satisfied, noise wise at least, with the cheapest KS pads.
The all black version for cantis and linear pull, and the hard to find but
wonderful cheap grey Continentals for my old Shimano 600 side pulls.