BB Spindle taper Shimano 1982 vs Shimano 2000?

Old December 26th 15, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default BB Spindle taper Shimano 1982 vs Shimano 2000?

Hi there.

I got a really nice dura Ace AX crankset and pedals. I thought I'd put it on my Shimano square taper bb spindle Sora or Tiagra. The crank started to go on but it didn't want to go very far up the flats. i didn't push the issue because i seem to remember that Shimano change the taper angle at some point and it's different on the sealed square taper units than it was on the old Shimano AX stuff. Ist that true - the taper angles are different and a 1980s AX crank won't fit on a sealed BB square taper unit?

Also.

Did Shimano ever make a sealed botton bracket for the Dura Ace AX crankset? I always thought that the sealed units came out years after the AX stuff was discontinued. is that so?

Thanks and cheers
Old December 26th 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/26/2015 2:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I got a really nice dura Ace AX crankset and pedals. I thought I'd put it on my Shimano square taper bb spindle Sora or Tiagra. The crank started to go on but it didn't want to go very far up the flats. i didn't push the issue because i seem to remember that Shimano change the taper angle at some point and it's different on the sealed square taper units than it was on the old Shimano AX stuff. Ist that true - the taper angles are different and a 1980s AX crank won't fit on a sealed BB square taper unit?

Also.

Did Shimano ever make a sealed botton bracket for the Dura Ace AX crankset? I always thought that the sealed units came out years after the AX stuff was discontinued. is that so?

Thanks and cheers

The taper is the same. The sections of that taper are different.

All quality spindles from the first aluminum square tyaper
systems in the 1930s shared one format, rightmost he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/3SPINDLE.JPG

Your Dura Ace FC7300 takes that style and fortunately
interchanges with classic Record/N.Record 1960 though 1986
which is an asymmetric spindle (as are most classic designs).
Compatible sealed units are Phil Wood #2, Stronglight sealed
Piste, Mavic (model? 1980s) and others, not by Shimano nor
Campagnolo.

The center spindle in image is a smaller section of that
taper, hence your difficulty. Plus, most sealed cartridge
units are symmetric so you get a no-go twofer.

The leftmost spindle in image has a different taper _angle_
for a different (sandcast) material.

Regarding crank bearing assemblies:
I just finished a three year project (only sporadic
attention and hey we moved the business) on one of my own
bikes. Paint is fresh and glossy, just this morning
installed my 1958 Magistroni steel cranks, splined spindle
and loose balls. Spins nicely; smooth and free. I got the
set well used from an old friend many years ago and it's
still excellent.

My advice to you is use what fits, don't obsess over one
trend or another.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 27th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 5:40:20 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Once again I extend my thanks Andrew.

I wasn't obsessing over this. Actually in my parts boxes I had some old school Shimano BB cups and spindles and was able to cobble together a Shimano cup and cone bottom bracket assembly that's nerly a perfect match for the original Dura Ace AX one.

This stuff is going on my red Bianchi - the one that had that infinite adjustment seat post you siad you liked. Funny thing is that i cleaned out the seat tube and gave it a light sanding and now a 27.2 seat post fits in there perfectly. that's great because this Frankenbike Bianchi now has:

Dura Ace AX cranks and pedals
Shimano Adama AX front and rear deraillers
Shimano down tube ratcheting shifters
Shimano 600 aero seatpost 27.2 mm
Dura Ace EX rear hub and Uniglide cassette
Campagnolo Record front hub
Matrix semi-aero tubular rims
Shimano aero brake levers = unknown type

I have a pair of Dura Ace AX brake calipers on my single speed. I might move them to this Bianchi

Cheers