Dura Ace AX HEADSET clear cover installation? + WTB

Old December 30th 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Dura Ace AX HEADSET clear cover installation? + WTB

My sister got me a very nearly complete used very good condition Dura Ace AX groupset for Christmas. I love AX!

It has a clear plastic piece that's a cover for the headset. To put this cover on does one warm up the cover in hot water or does one just push it down over the headset locknut?

Jay, if you still have those Shimano scallop headset wrenches I'd be VERY interested in buying them from you. You can email at the addy here.

Also, I'd like to buy a Dura Ace AX pedal wrench if anyone has one for sale. NO BIDDING wars! Evil Bay is out unless it's a 'Buy It Now' price.

Thanks and cheers
Old December 30th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/30/2015 5:19 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
My sister got me a very nearly complete used very good condition Dura Ace AX groupset for Christmas. I love AX!

It has a clear plastic piece that's a cover for the headset. To put this cover on does one warm up the cover in hot water or does one just push it down over the headset locknut?

Jay, if you still have those Shimano scallop headset wrenches I'd be VERY interested in buying them from you. You can email at the addy here.

Also, I'd like to buy a Dura Ace AX pedal wrench if anyone has one for sale. NO BIDDING wars! Evil Bay is out unless it's a 'Buy It Now' price.

Thanks and cheers

The AX wave-form wrenches aren't absolutely necessary. A
regular 32mm headset wrench works well. That's an actual
design feature. The headset wrench is aluminum, the pedal
wrench is chromed steel, dimensions are the same for both.

Anything plastic from 1980 is going to have flexibility
issues after 35 years of outgassing it's plasticizers. I'm
guessing but warm like 120F is probably helpful, hotter than
your fingers can bear is probably not.

Install your pedals with antiseize paste because the very
fine thread is prone to galling.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 31st 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

If Sir wants the magical wrenches, I'm happy to sell. They were in my desk at work for years, but I took them home a month or so ago. I'll make sure I still have them.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 31st 15, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 7:50:59 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thanks ANdrew.

Thanks Jay.

I'd like to get the tools to go with the AX groupset. I had a bike with Dura Ace AX groupset and I had the wrenches but sold both when the wife (now ex-wife) needed a fair bit of cash quickly. I've always regretted selling that stuff. I should have sold the wife and kept the bike and tools! LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old December 31st 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/TXHBPz

Old December 31st 15, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

eyeyeyhahhah

http://goo.gl/CNBnku

goes with muh '58 Caddy Coupe

Old December 31st 15, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:52:03 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I let lot tap water run over it for a minute and it went on with no problem.

The AX groupset has some interesting concepts and for the time innovations. The adjustable reach brake levers are a nice touch as are the no outer cable housing derillers.

Cheers