good bouncy tires for dirt road riding

Old July 8th 05, 03:54 AM
Eric

Default good bouncy tires for dirt road riding

I'm looking for some good tires for dirt roads (IE forest service
roads, rural county roads). Most of these are in somewhat good shape,
at least as good as a rail trail surface. I'm currently using a set of
Contential Twister Pros, which have a much more agressive tread than
I'd like. I want something with a little give on bumps, but will still
let me carry a light load.

On a releated topic, is it sacriligious to ride a Serotta touring frame
on a dirt road? Or just Stupid?

Old July 8th 05, 01:38 PM
Jim Smith

"Eric" writes:

I'm looking for some good tires for dirt roads (IE forest service
roads, rural county roads). Most of these are in somewhat good shape,
at least as good as a rail trail surface. I'm currently using a set of
Contential Twister Pros, which have a much more agressive tread than
I'd like. I want something with a little give on bumps, but will still
let me carry a light load.

I have some Panaracer Pasela 700c x 35 tires that I have been quite
happy with for that sort of thing. No complaints at all, and at $13
per tire I think they are an excelent value.

On a releated topic, is it sacriligious to ride a Serotta touring frame
on a dirt road? Or just Stupid?

Neither. It is the Right Thing(tm) to do.

Old July 8th 05, 01:44 PM

Try the Mythos CX . Light fast enough tread to grip in moderate
conditions but fast on the hardpack. The best are the green michelin
sprints but alas they are no more. The WTB all Terrainasaurus are good
on paved and rail trail surfaces .
I just put GEAX reverts on my cross bike. Have not tried them on the
local rail trail yet

Old July 8th 05, 04:48 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:38:40 -0500, Jim Smith
wrote:

"Eric" writes:

I'm looking for some good tires for dirt roads (IE forest service
roads, rural county roads). Most of these are in somewhat good shape,
at least as good as a rail trail surface. I'm currently using a set of
Contential Twister Pros, which have a much more agressive tread than
I'd like. I want something with a little give on bumps, but will still
let me carry a light load.

I have some Panaracer Pasela 700c x 35 tires that I have been quite
happy with for that sort of thing. No complaints at all, and at $13
per tire I think they are an excelent value.

I ride Conti Sport Contact 700x37 on the type of tracks you describe,
work well on dry hardpack, haven't tried them in the wet but I'm
guessing they'll be useless and I have spare wheels with Nokian
Ravagozzi 700x35 cyclo-cross tyres for such occasions.
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 9th 05, 09:04 PM
Robin Hubert

Eric wrote:
I'm looking for some good tires for dirt roads (IE forest service
roads, rural county roads). Most of these are in somewhat good shape,
at least as good as a rail trail surface. I'm currently using a set of
Contential Twister Pros, which have a much more agressive tread than
I'd like. I want something with a little give on bumps, but will still
let me carry a light load.

On a releated topic, is it sacriligious to ride a Serotta touring frame
on a dirt road? Or just Stupid?

Well, you don't say what size are those Twisters.

Does anyone know why Continental uses the term "carcass" to refer to
casing?
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...wister_en.html

Anyway, I wouldn't use those tires for what you're using them. Too much
tread formation and too aggressive. I'd consider something more like:

Panaracer Pasela 700x37
http://www.panaracer.com/eng/products/index_ur.html#b

What is sacrilegious about using a bike the way it's intended?

I ride my Waterford RS-22 and Gunnar Sport everywhere and clean 'em
maybe once every 6 months. Everything works fine. I'm just willing to
give it enough time to keep the mechanics in good condition.

OTOH, you probably hear alot from the folks who wouldn't dare take their
beautiful, expensive fetish onto the dirt.

Main Entry: fe·tish
Variant(s): also fe·tich /'fe-tish also 'fE-/
Function: noun
Etymology: French & Portuguese; French fétiche, from Portuguese feitiço,
from feitiço artificial, false, from Latin facticius factitious
1 a : an object (as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have
magical power to protect or aid its owner; broadly : a material object
regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence b : an
object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion : PREPOSSESSION c :
an object or bodily part whose real or fantasied presence is
psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is an object
of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with complete sexual
expression
2 : a rite or cult of fetish worshipers
3 : FIXATION

Particularly 1 b and 3.

"You rode your bicycle *where*?!?"

Robin Hubert
Old July 10th 05, 04:40 PM
Eric

Thanks to all for the advice. Yesterday I went into town and bought a
set of Coni Top Touring 2000. I don't have any specific loyalty to
Contentinals, but they seemed to offer the best bang for the buck. Of
course, I got them installed just in time for the afternoon
thunderstoms. I bought the twister pros (700X32mm) a few years ago for
riding on snow. However, it was just too much of a mess and took too
long to get dressed, so I took up skiing instead. I didn't mind them
too much, but on paved road they were very slow and the control was
very Squirrelly.

So I should just relax and ride. Sounds good to me.

Old July 10th 05, 04:46 PM
Eric

One other thing... The Top Touring 2000 have a little bit of tread. The
sidewall has mounting instructions. What's the deal with tread patterns
these days. I can see directional mounting for agressive mud tread, but
for this?

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...g_2000_en.html

I noticed the direction after putting on the front tire. I'll see what
happens this morning. Hopefully the wheell will spin in the right
direction!

Eric

Monterey, CA - Great rides?? [email protected] Rides 5 April 28th 05 03:51 AM
Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 95 August 18th 03 11:44 PM