Carbon Fiber's Days Are Numbered==Researchers create exceptionallystrong and lightweight new metal

Old December 26th 15, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Carbon Fiber's Days Are Numbered==Researchers createexceptionally strong and lightweight new metal

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 3:16:32 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
wrote:
when you the see the fork in the road take it

Always go to your friends' funerals or they won't go to yours.

--
duane

my friends are all immotal
Old December 26th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 3:17:34 PM UTC, sms wrote:
"A team led by researchers from the UCLA Henry Samueli School of
Engineering and Applied Science has created a super-strong yet light
structural metal with extremely high specific strength and modulus, or
stiffness-to-weight ratio. The new metal is composed of magnesium
infused with a dense and even dispersal of ceramic silicon carbide
nanoparticles. It could be used to make lighter airplanes, spacecraft,
and cars, helping to improve fuel efficiency, as well as in mobile
electronics and biomedical devices."

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnolo...wsid=42203.php

By next Christmas everyone will have donated their CF bicycles to the
poor, and will be buying replacements made of this new alloy.

Yup, it's going to take over like that foamed aluminium that Biomega built an ess-shaped bike frame with about ten, twelve years ago.

Seriously, though:

I used to know Frank Costin, the -cos in Marcos, the aerodynamicist of the early Lotus cars. He made a really good case for wood being the ideal material for car chasses, and the proof was in the pudding, the Marcos raced at Le Mans still casually parked in front of English pubs for years to come... I built a moulded wood 68ft racing yacht that survived a whole lotta hard journeys (back and forth across the Southern Ocean in midwinter, around Cape Horn, cruising the Indian Ocean out of Mombasa for several monsoon seasons, a superior four-seasons passage maker once its racing days were over). Wood is indeed a wonderful engineering material. But wood never took off for loadbearing car structures and except as a luxury item for millionaire racers, it is a dead issue even in yachts.

As an aside rather than any kind of a big unit-number argument: Oddly enough, though the beautiful Renovo and other wood bikes are luxury items for rich eccentrics, wood may have a future in bicycles in the form of lashed-up bamboo bikes serving as cheap transport for the third world poor, vide Craig Coffee.

That's not all. I can remember how slowly GRP (glass reinforced plastic, FRP to Americans) took off back in the days before carbon fibre, and how every little scare quite disproportionately set back the small gains its enthusiasts made.

The question also arises whether the new material will have the ride qualities of steel -- or aluminum.

Andre Jute
To forget is to repeat the mistakes of the past
Old December 26th 15, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 8:25:51 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

AJ, honeycomb aluminum ....the roof on the Ford 427

https://www.google.com/search?q=hone...AQINw&dpr=1.05

https://goo.gl/oAOaCY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_foam
Old December 26th 15, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

quick get the shovel ...

http://honeycombpanelsusa.com/wp-con...-for-pound.jpg

Old December 26th 15, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/25...ww.google.com/

Commie east coast humor...

say Krugus...what abt genetics ? robotics...economics ...warfare...you should get out more...Hartford...Camden
Old December 26th 15, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Edmund

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 07:17:22 -0800, sms wrote:

"A team led by researchers from the UCLA Henry Samueli School of
Engineering and Applied Science has created a super-strong yet light
structural metal with extremely high specific strength and modulus, or
stiffness-to-weight ratio. The new metal is composed of magnesium
infused with a dense and even dispersal of ceramic silicon carbide
nanoparticles. It could be used to make lighter airplanes, spacecraft,
and cars, helping to improve fuel efficiency, as well as in mobile
electronics and biomedical devices."

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnolo...wsid=42203.php

By next Christmas everyone will have donated their CF bicycles to the
poor, and will be buying replacements made of this new alloy.

I have seen something similar on TV over a decade ago, unfortunately no
real world application anywhere..... So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edmund
Old December 26th 15, 11:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 08:46:25 -0000 (UTC), Edmund
wrote:

[...]

Since magnesium burns I suppose that one will need to carry a fire
extinguisher to be safe, and since magnesium is relatively soft I
suppose that one will have to install yet more Riv-nuts for the
extinguisher mount :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 26th 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Like a lot of things, the fire hazard of magnesium is greatly
exaggerated. Pure magnesium burns brilliantly if you use a match to
light a thin ribbon of the stuff, in part because there's not enough
mass present to conduct the heat away. Pure magnesium and some alloys
can burn during machining if their chips get hot enough. But many
alloys will self-extinguish, and large chunks conduct heat away quickly
enough that it's hard to get them close to their ignition temperature.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 26th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I'm no expert but the account of a man who successfully
burned a Next computer magnesium case is interesting. It
was quite difficult to get going but spectacular once lit.

http://simson.net/hacks/cubefire.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 26th 15, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Duane writes:

wrote:
when you the see the fork in the road take it

Always go to your friends' funerals or they won't go to yours.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in
practice, there is.