Bottom Brackets

Old December 27th 15, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bottom Brackets

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 2:40:55 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/26/2015 9:44 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 3:24:18 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 7:10:10 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 1:39:39 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
I don't even know who still builds with threaded English BBs.

Whatever are you guys on about? Shimano makes threaded English bottom brackets, just like they always did. Here's one I favour in stock from the world's biggest mailorder bike component dealer. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i...t/rp-prod71369 Chainreactionbikes also has the UN-26, the world's bestselling BB, square taper and British thread, of course. You want something with a fancier name, here's the Campy version, British thread of course. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i...t/rp-prod85637 Here's a Stronglight, made in a huge factory in Czechoslovakia, available in plastic, ali and steel to taste: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products....d=m2b0s110p140 http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products....=m2b0s110p1933 http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products....d=m2b0s110p141 This stronglight JP400, under various names, is a standard on what Lidl Tommi used to call "bikes for the Euro elite

" because bike manufacturers with extensive test facilities of their own, Stronglight and others, don't see why they should pay more for a fancy name that is no better than this well-priced BB. I've had this one on two pricey bikes and they're a fit and forget item.

European custom bike makers fit square taper, British threaded, sealed bearing bottom brackets as default, because they just plain work.

You want the rest of that crap that's intended for fashion victims who take what they're given, you have to ask for it.

I was wondering which major manufacturers made frames with standard threaded BBs. Probably mostly steel makers -- Surly, Soma, etc. Linskey (Ti) uses PF30s. AFAIK, all the CF makers use some form of non-threaded BB.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the enlightenment. Yes, I don't even consider anything but a lugged steel bike. But the question does arise, why can't carbon fiber makers just use a threaded insert at the bottom bracket? In marine and automobile work threaded metal inserts have been standard FRP and CRP practice for half a century or more. Those little doughnuts weigh almost nothing.

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

No technical reason at all, and some makers do. A push-in
system can be lighter, cheaper to make and favorable to
marketing.

(Marketing essentially is, "The crap we sold you last month
is no good. Here's the new one.")

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

It did sound from Jay's list of the new "standards" earlier that these people are selling sometimes severe compromises as technical advances. I have nothing against selling the sizzle, because the steak has to do something, but actually lying that red meat cures gout is another matter altogether, at best immoral and a lotta places outside the States actually criminal under various trading standards acts.

Andre Jute

Bottom Brackets J. D. Slocomb Techniques 10 May 1st 11 12:24 PM
Bottom brackets, etc. HDGuzzi Techniques 7 April 29th 08 09:25 PM
Bottom brackets Finlay Mackay UK 8 August 11th 07 06:14 PM
What's With Bottom Brackets? [email protected] Techniques 8 June 22nd 06 09:07 PM
WTB: Bottom brackets Dave Thompson Marketplace 1 December 20th 04 03:16 PM