Please let the Supergo stories, remembrances, vignettes and anecdotes begin

Old December 31st 15, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Please let the Supergo stories, remembrances, vignettes and anecdotesbegin

On 12/31/2015 1:03 PM, wrote:
I forgot to mention that back in '87 Bikecology billed the Access as the first affordable high-quality MTB; indeed, a veritable Model T of a bike. That's why I bought one. Like the original buyers of the Model T, I couldn't afford a more expensive MTB at the time.

Maybe. Or possibly a Diamond Back Axis with Supergo graphics:

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/attachm...-1-jpg.412460/

or a rebadged Diamond Back Apex:
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/vin...l-gedc1027.jpg

or any of a few dozen similar machines.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 31st 15, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Franko is an M.E. Is like an MD ceptin' M.E.'s doah get to practice.

https://www.google.com/#tbm=nws&q=fl...man+3+YEAR+OLD

own kids own a bicycle own an airplane .....

yeah, gotta watch the drag coefficient on MTB frames ...wudnah wanna get caught with a boat anchor.

I wuz wondering what tires and what treads came with ante diluvium MTB ...
at 6'4" real MTB, actually an cyclocrosser here set for long chain stays , visavee real road framing, only arrives o the gravel or dirt where my mind unconsciously reminds me that otherwise I'd be down.

I was in a near fatal Florida type accident yesterday between Walmart and Home Depot on Airport Pulling road lets see ....

I'm behind the silver car on the left but first in line after coasting up to a
yellow light.

I was aware of the danger but figured having coasted up to the yellow then I was safe. Missing the Ford's approach, assembling this from a subliminal memory before impact.
NOT !
https://goo.gl/XjzQCO

TO THE RIGHT OF THE X....a tool loaded very late model Ford pickup ran the light in the turn lane slamming into a RED BMW Mini Estate Wagon driven by a blondy older model type.

Early celebrant

https://goo.gl/E0rLcn

WHAM parts debris showered across us pickup curving off across our bow abt 25' away making his intended turn..wuhwuhwuh....with both airborne at the impact...Mini coming to rest in the median outside my door.

And if the Mini was a bicycle....forgetaboutit.

Pickup, minus a wheel or two stopped on the grass over on the berm to our right.

EYEYYEHAHHAHHAHHAH ! but officer I was only going 135......

Pickup driver did a nice job of not killing us sitting in the opposite bound lane. Thanks. Have a Goodyear....

This is my second yellow light collision first in Utah in the zone before the newburbs start. Yellow light, woman drove thru yellow , I stopped looked around everyone kinda leaning over the wheel counting 1-2-3 when a woman driving a coupe appeared at 35 over on the far side, a comin up the turn lane Ricardo slamming into the yellow ight woman part flying cars spinning.

Happened to me in Palm Beach. Woman turned right on red, I tried to get away she followed me n ran into me.

Old December 31st 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 12:31:15 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Snipped
for example, let's assume a stolen bike with a front flat.
Some geniuses would simply steal a rear wheel and jam that
in the fork:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/frontrea.jpg

Don't some if the uiditabike racers use a rear wheel up fronin case their cassette or freewheel on the regular rear wheel dies? i'm sure i've seen images of such a setup.

Cheers
Old December 31st 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/31/2015 3:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 12:31:15 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Snipped
for example, let's assume a stolen bike with a front flat.
Some geniuses would simply steal a rear wheel and jam that
in the fork:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/frontrea.jpg

Don't some if the uiditabike racers use a rear wheel up fronin case their cassette or freewheel on the regular rear wheel dies? i'm sure i've seen images of such a setup.

Cheers

Sure. And wheels with Cinelli Bivalent hubs can go front or
back too.

This is not that

Old January 1st 16, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/xmWtHF

why ?

say, have ohot description of bikes with all this stuff....ring collapsible ect ect on one frame...as a thing to do...

extreme mechanical idiosychrosy
Old January 1st 16, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 11:31:00 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/31/2015 10:05 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 10:28:42 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
An old college friend brought his (1990?) Trek mountain bike over last
week, for help changing a shift cable. The bike had the under-chainstay
U-brake.

I noticed one of the rear brake shoes was dragging. Turned out the
kickstand he installed was smashing in on the brake's transverse cable.

So, another disadvantage for kickstand lovers.

--
- Frank Krygowski

You have very interesting friends. He couldn't figure out that a shifter cable was being snagged by a kickstand? Or he never realized a brake shoe was dragging thus slowing him down?

Cheers

Most of Frank's 'idiot consumer with bicycle' stories ring
true for those of us who deal with that sort of thing every day.

for example, let's assume a stolen bike with a front flat.
Some geniuses would simply steal a rear wheel and jam that
in the fork:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/frontrea.jpg

On a more mundane note, that QR is, typically, not locked.
Your average guy screws it down sorta without using the cam.
I could go on.

An innovation perhaps? Replace the handle bars with a set of pedals
and one could have an "all wheel drive" bike. A "two by" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 1st 16, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew the Historian wrote: "Maybe. Or possibly a Diamond Back Axis with Supergo graphics:

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/attachm...-1-jpg.412460/

or a rebadged Diamond Back Apex:
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/vin...l-gedc1027.jpg

or any of a few dozen similar machines.

Wow, they really do look just like the Access, Andrew. So who do you think actually made the frame?
Old January 1st 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

As you can see, the Access's frame is of welded lugless construction and the tubing used was Columbus CroMor.
Old January 1st 16, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/31/2015 1:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 9:56:54 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think it's just proof that what's obvious to one person is beyond the
skill set of another. It's not an intelligence thing; it's background
knowledge, interest, and individual differences.

This is true to a degree. However, some issues are eminently obvious -- like a

kickstand interfering with a brake cable. You flip the bike over, and
there it is.

True. If it occurs to you to flip the bike over. In his case, he
didn't realize a brake was dragging, so he didn't even think to look. I
had the experience to realize that a quiet scraping or squeaking sound
when rolling a bike is abnormal.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 1st 16, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2015-12-30 17:00, wrote:
Today I pulled my old original and correct Supergo Access MTB from
1987 out of the back room. Biopace chainrings! I'll tell the world!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m69mvkutso...ccess.jpg?dl=0

Cool. That pump would probably get you stopped a lot by the authorities
these days. Looks like some mean weapon.

snip

I had a Fuji Sundance mountain bike with U brakes. A real PITA. They
were very touchy to get exactly adjusted.

Gave it away to "Trips for Kids"
http://tripsforkids.org/marin/donatebikes.htm when I stopped mountain
biking when my kids were small. Now I have a newer Marin mountain bike
and just got the spousal unit a mountain bike. Lots of riding around
where we live now.