Double-wall water bottles

Old July 1st 17, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Double-wall water bottles

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:47:45 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 12:20:49 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
A couple of hours ago my wife made a find at Costco

Lucky you

https://www.costco.com/Reduce-COLD-1...100340745.html

But what's wrong with these things?
http://www.performancebike.com/webap...400162__400162

It's plastic and the insulation won't last long on the MTB. Which is
what I use 40-50% of the time.

I am going to use these to refill my 28oz non-insulated water bottle
which rides in the bike's holder.

I bought a couple of those and was very disappointed in them for hot
weather use. I chilled one filled bottle over night in the fridge and
froze the second filled bottle. By about 2 hours into a "Sunday Ride"
they were both at about ambient temperature.

At the time I bought them they were more expensive then conventional
bottles so I reckoned that I was bitten by the "Advertising Bug". I
also have a couple of stainless "thermos' " which do work but as you
mention in another post do not fit the usual bottle cages but do keep
the drinks hot or cold far longer.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 1st 17, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Well I like em
6.99 on sale
Only problem is they get stolen

Old July 1st 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&...=360& bih=616
Old July 1st 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

???
How many burglaries have you suffered? I would imagine the
silver and electronics would be first choice, if not your
bicycle itself.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 1st 17, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

These are essentially stainless thermos bottles with two walls and
supposedly a vacuum in between. I read one review where a guy put ice
and water in, the contents froze up, it wouldn't thaw after a few sunny
hours, he left the lid off in hopes that would make it thaw, and it
didn't. We'll see. I will find out on a long ride in hot weather next
week whether they perform as advertised. If not Costco is very fair in
returning stuff that doesn't live up to the promises given. This is why
I always keep all the packaging material and receipts until I know for
sure stuff works.

Well I like em
6.99 on sale
Only problem is they get stolen

Mine will not be in plain sight.

???
How many burglaries have you suffered? I would imagine the silver and
electronics would be first choice, if not your bicycle itself.

Mine will ride in the left pannier. Once a bike is equipped with stuff
thath finally makes it a turly useful vehicle (good lights, speedometer,
trunk space, decent saddle, et cetera) you cannot really leave it out of
sight. Which is why I generally do not patronized stores and pubs that
don't let me carry it inside or where I can't at least watch it through
a window.

Wednesday I took a singletrack to a brewery in the boonies. There are
homeless cmaps in the area and there is theft risk. I could see the MTB
through the window but the owner still offered to bring it inside. That
would have muddied the floor though so I politely declined.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 1st 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

stainless is less toxic than plastics unless the stainless is coated with plastic as with 'aluminum' cans or FTM steel cans. who would know ?

there is a watch on plastics leaching ...BPA....so the race to zero toxicity is prob fairly close or irrelevant in that everything is petro based ....exceptin' SS .....so you have a fringe use and off course that's right up your alley....wuhwuhwuh...and it is isn't it Krupp ? flasks are glass ? CHOH n glass. get a glass lined thermos for utility.

metal tranfers heat from one side to the other as a consequence of its matrixes..please visualize....where plastics long chains insinuate...wuhwuhwuh

polar bottles work. mine was stolen outside a bike shop by the usual. the jackets work porb better than any double wall SS flask. 5x less $$

I have 2 new http://www.ems.com/nalgene-everyday-...t/2015893.html for use with a particulate filter and a Steripen. Nalgenes are beautiful when new in colors prob deserving of a jacket.

there are as I learned dring this buy trip, plastic Nalgenes

http://www.ems.com/nalgene-hdpe-wide..../1309848.html

there's a video.

I have Nalgene's for pasta n cereals. vaguely frip proof.

there's a wall in Wal for freaky looing bottles suspected of artifacts for a religious right. anyone know of this ?

Old July 1st 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Well, for starters, I don't usually carry the silver and electronics around on the bike

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Mugged for a water bottle?? WTF?

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

All I know is if I buy two of them, within a few weeks later is only one on the bike, but that doesn't happen with the plain bottles.

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

ur trippin it is not uncommon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tCSHM587VU

water bottles,helmets Mark General 191 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
FS: Colnago Water Bottles daggits Marketplace 0 March 12th 05 01:50 AM
Old style water bottles Richard Tack Techniques 8 September 14th 04 08:32 PM
WTB: New water bottles in quantity Brett Thompson Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 04:02 AM
Aerodynamic Water Bottles T. Field Techniques 5 July 30th 03 05:10 AM