Should a cyclist carry a first kit?

Old June 30th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Should a cyclist carry a first kit?

Today I was bitten by a dog when I was mobbed by a pack of dogs a walker lost control of on a country lane. Fortunately the very contrite dog owner (as you can imagine, I'm not polite to people whose dogs bite me) had a big first aid kit in his Range Rover. He cleaned the wound and put a large plaster on it, and I popped into my doctor's surgery within the hour to have the wound professionally cleaned (I don't trust a man with dogs to have clean hands!), receive a tetanus shot, and pick up a prescription for an antibiotic.

But this and other recent incidents (in one of which a favorite pink shirt of which I have only five was nearly ruined by blood) raise the questions:

***Should a cyclist carry a first kit?

***What should be in it?

***For day rides?

***For extended tours?

Andre Jute
Insurance for weight weenies
Old June 30th 17, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 2:37:53 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Yes.
It should contain a disposable alcohol-wipe or two, or 1-Oz bottle of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, for hitting cuts n abraisions with until
you can clean it better

For day rides, add toothbrush and condom

Old June 30th 17, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-30 14:37, Andre Jute wrote:
Today I was bitten by a dog when I was mobbed by a pack of dogs a
walker lost control of on a country lane. Fortunately the very
contrite dog owner (as you can imagine, I'm not polite to people
whose dogs bite me) had a big first aid kit in his Range Rover. He
cleaned the wound and put a large plaster on it, and I popped into my
doctor's surgery within the hour to have the wound professionally
cleaned (I don't trust a man with dogs to have clean hands!), receive
a tetanus shot, and pick up a prescription for an antibiotic.

But this and other recent incidents (in one of which a favorite pink
shirt of which I have only five was nearly ruined by blood) raise the
questions:

***Should a cyclist carry a first kit?

***What should be in it?

***For day rides?

***For extended tours?

I always carry a first aid kit. Has come in handy, so far always for
others and not just cyclists. We also carry them (plus CPR masks) in our
cars and have several at strategic places in the house. It also makes
sense to learn where they are at places often visited. Last Sunday a boy
hurt himself at our church. Getting the first aid kit took me about five
seconds but ... my wife had the needed stuff such as band aids in her purse.

The kits should at least contain the necessary stuff to handle smaller
and larger gashes, some desinfectant, and such.

I don't wear pink shirts but if that happens again wash it out with cold
water in the next creek. At least then you stand a chance that the
stains come out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 1st 17, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

... Last Sunday a boy
hurt himself at our church. Getting the first aid kit took me about five
seconds but ... my wife had the needed stuff such as band aids in her purse.

Hmmm.. what'd you do about the venom? JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING Cameron Park is not -that- far
Old July 1st 17, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-30 16:10, Doug Landau wrote:

... Last Sunday a boy
hurt himself at our church. Getting the first aid kit took me about five
seconds but ... my wife had the needed stuff such as band aids in her purse.

Hmmm.. what'd you do about the venom? JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING Cameron Park is not -that- far

It's a Lutheran church, so no venomous stuff around there :-)

Old July 1st 17, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/HTnChx

There's outback n OUTBACK

OUTBACK chip seal Oregon n outback NJ

kit advice.

Outside that...

Povidine in 1 or 2 small poly bottles..REI. druggist ?

A package of clotting gauze..REI..CAMPMORE..EMS...

tape. 3M eletrical tape is AAA. sticks to itself looping.

Butterfly bandages.

Ibu...

This is fir road rash. Wash rash with water. Smear with povidine, wrapped with gauze.

When at REI et al there's other good stuff like poison ivy scrub n

THE TICK REMOVAL TOOLS

as my environment is pursued by the bad guys n on the outback 366. There's a sat beacon at hand for calling g men and meds... fir when the Boulder rolls.

Now to kill the word processor ...
Old July 1st 17, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

So now rabbies shots did you think to check dog out by vet.

Deacon Mark
Old July 1st 17, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 14:37:49 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

***What should be in it?=20

A small piece of soap -- you carry reasonably-clean water in squirt
bottles.

I used the band-aid in my kit once, after I tried to scrape potted
meat out of a wrench-and-flip EZ-open can with my finger. It's really
hard to open a first-aid kit when you are holding one hand above your
head to staunch the flow of blood.

I've used the coins and folding money a *lot*. The coins got less
important after pay phones vanished.

I always carry a sewing needle and a few safety pins in my wallet.

I once spoke to an EMT whose first-aid kit consisted entirely of a
pair of scissors with a safety pin attached to one handle. Most of
the equipment he needed was between his ears.

If you have never taken an advanced first-aid course, start looking
for a chance to take one. If you have to settle for the one-hour "how
to scream" course, take it, and ask when the next beginner class
starts.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 1st 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...door+first+aid

I searched first at B&N. The search failed. Using handheld.

The manual needs reading 2-3x so it's more or less understood.

My overview is the general pop of college educated outdoors types have been running over this for years n can demo a basic practical EMT approach on the ground.

If not time to get up to speed.

Old July 1st 17, 10:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A need for backing an emollient anti bio eg nuerosporin/bacitracing over povidone preventing moisture loss from the wound.

Allow povidone drying time before aplying antiobio