A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Concave nut for Suntour XC Pro Seatpost?

Old July 7th 17, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Concave nut for Suntour XC Pro Seatpost?

Hoping someone has a source for this (other than several dives into some shops' spare-parts boxes/bins)?

Somewhere along the way, as I bought and shelved parts for my daughters' first real semi-touring-but-fast-ish steel frame setup, I lost the bolt/nut for the one side of the seatpost adjustment.

I have the side where the bolt has a square-shoulder, the front-bolt/nut, if you will, it's only the rears that I'm missing.

I'm also shy on the 8mm bolt, and can only find them in bulk, and it's pretty tricky to find ones with the socket-head measurement listed, since it has to sit down into the "well" on the underside of the seatpost clamp cradle.

Anyway, I used to be up quite a bit back in the 90's (helping and occasionally asking), been awhile, but it seems to be pretty active still, so I'm hoping someone's got a source(s) and/or ideas.

Thanks, very much, in advance,

-pete
Ads
Old July 7th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 7/6/2017 9:39 PM, wrote:
Hoping someone has a source for this (other than several dives into some shops' spare-parts boxes/bins)?

Somewhere along the way, as I bought and shelved parts for my daughters' first real semi-touring-but-fast-ish steel frame setup, I lost the bolt/nut for the one side of the seatpost adjustment.

I have the side where the bolt has a square-shoulder, the front-bolt/nut, if you will, it's only the rears that I'm missing.

I'm also shy on the 8mm bolt, and can only find them in bulk, and it's pretty tricky to find ones with the socket-head measurement listed, since it has to sit down into the "well" on the underside of the seatpost clamp cradle.

Anyway, I used to be up quite a bit back in the 90's (helping and occasionally asking), been awhile, but it seems to be pretty active still, so I'm hoping someone's got a source(s) and/or ideas.

Your front bolt could be replaced with a common m6 DIN912.
The rear bolt is a decidedly unusual m7 and both top nuts
are 'parts' not hardware. You could fabricate something, and
XC Pro are aesthetically interesting, but a new modern post
is under $20.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old July 7th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 7:39:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:

-pete

Pete, 7 mm bolts are hard to come by but 1/4 - 20 are common and nearly the same size being only 0.026" smaller diameter. You can find these in a variety of heads in most hardware stores.
Old July 7th 17, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:17:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 7:39:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:

-pete

Pete, 7 mm bolts are hard to come by but 1/4 - 20 are common and nearly the same size being only 0.026" smaller diameter. You can find these in a variety of heads in most hardware stores.

I should have added that you can file or grind and then polish a nut to fit in place of the aluminum stock piece.
Old July 7th 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 6:37:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/6/2017 9:39 PM, pgrey2 wrote:

is under $20.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Interesting, I guess I just assumed it was an 8mm; no question, 7mm is the "odd duck" in the metric world, along with a few others (my motorcycle "locking" oil cap uses this size for that reason, no one has a 7mm "handy").

I have the front bolt/shoulder-nut, it's the rear one I'm missing, and that darn concave washer, most designs like this used a convex one, which is pretty easy to find.
I don't really have much of a setup these days for much fab, unfortunately, but the 1/4-20 suggestion is "interesting", I'm sure I could find that in a cap bolt, and then I might have better luck at finding a concave square nut, to fit in the channel.
Right now I have a 6mm bolt, one/ea 6mm/8mm washer to fill the well, and couple of nylon washers, along with an old frame shifter mount (radius was almost perfect), topped with a nylock nut, and it works pretty well, it just looks pretty hokey, and I wonder about the nylon long-term.

I have the nifty XC Pro seatpost, and it's such a cool piece of history, that I really wanted to use it. Obviously I should've "inventoried" things way back, when I maybe could've found the "parts"... ;-]
Old July 7th 17, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 7/7/2017 2:59 PM, wrote:
On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 6:37:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/6/2017 9:39 PM, pgrey2 wrote:

is under $20.

Interesting, I guess I just assumed it was an 8mm; no question, 7mm is the "odd duck" in the metric world, along with a few others (my motorcycle "locking" oil cap uses this size for that reason, no one has a 7mm "handy").

I have the front bolt/shoulder-nut, it's the rear one I'm missing, and that darn concave washer, most designs like this used a convex one, which is pretty easy to find.
I don't really have much of a setup these days for much fab, unfortunately, but the 1/4-20 suggestion is "interesting", I'm sure I could find that in a cap bolt, and then I might have better luck at finding a concave square nut, to fit in the channel.
Right now I have a 6mm bolt, one/ea 6mm/8mm washer to fill the well, and couple of nylon washers, along with an old frame shifter mount (radius was almost perfect), topped with a nylock nut, and it works pretty well, it just looks pretty hokey, and I wonder about the nylon long-term.

I have the nifty XC Pro seatpost, and it's such a cool piece of history, that I really wanted to use it. Obviously I should've "inventoried" things way back, when I maybe could've found the "parts"... ;-]

Seatpost hardware failure is often by impact loading, i.e.,
loose bolts. If you are able, get the nylon washers out of
there. V-Brake brake pad washers are steel and aluminum,
free for the asking and may be helpful. You'll still have to
hold the nut on top with a wrench but it's a quick and cheap
solution.

BTW graded 6mm hardware should probably be sufficient if
you're not Danny McCaskill or some such.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/