how many bearings does a single speed bike have?

Old July 30th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default how many bearings does a single speed bike have?

AMuzi wrote:

There are no roller bearings in the F&S Torpedo
Dreigang gearbox.

http://www.scheunenfun.de/images/nab...ohnebremse.pdf

Hm, I've never seen that exploded before -
here is a better one:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/torpedo-3.jpg

Nevertheless, you are right!

The roller bearings are in the single
speed hub!

That means, the original calculation could look
like this:

rear hub 4 (2 big, 1 small, 1 roller)
crank/BB 2
pedals 2*2=4 (or 2*1=2)
front wheel 2
head tube + 2
------
14 (or 12)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 31st 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

There are no roller bearings in an F&F
Torpedo coaster hub. You mistake the 5-roller
clutch for a bearing.

In the documentation, the small rods are
refered to as "lagerbult" which is literally
"bearing bolt".

But let's approach this from another angle -
what is the definition of a bearing and where
does these rods fail to meet it?

Old July 31st 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/30/2017 6:03 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

There are no roller bearings in an F&F
Torpedo coaster hub. You mistake the 5-roller
clutch for a bearing.

In the documentation, the small rods are
refered to as "lagerbult" which is literally
"bearing bolt".

But let's approach this from another angle -
what is the definition of a bearing and where
does these rods fail to meet it?

You can define you own terms for your own use as you like.
But that's a roller clutch:
http://www.automotivedictionary.org/Roller_clutch

p.s. typo should be F&S

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 31st 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

You can define you own terms for your own use
as you like.

I asked how/where it would fail a definition.

According to Wikipedia, the definition is
"Bearing (mechanical), a component that
separates moving parts and takes a load"[*]
If "load" can be the component itself or an
extention thereof, that's what it is what
I can see.

In all honesty tho, the Torpedo 3 SP has
a planet carrier and into the planet wheels are
also the rods refered to as "lagerbultar" or
"bearing bolts" - and that whole thing looks
even less a bearing. So perhaps one shouldn't
stare oneself blind on what the rods
are called!

What are they called in English? In German they
are called "Stoubdeckel" which GT fails to
translate to English...

But that's a roller clutch

OK, so now the list looks like this:

rear hub 3 the 5-roller clutch is not a roller bearing
crank/BB 2
pedals 2*2=4 or 2*1=2
front wheel 2
head tube + 2 headset 1, fork 1
------
13 or 11

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(mechanical)

Old July 31st 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 10:46:19 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Given that the bearings you are counting are
simply a bunch of balls maybe you need to get
down to fundamentals and count the
balls themselves.

Great idea! Only... with the exception of the
branded rear hubs, do the balls really occur
with any regularity from bike to bike?

I know that in the front wheel hub sometimes
the balls run loose and sometimes they are in
a retainer.

Shimano wheels are still (I believe) being manufactured using loose
balls and I have a spare BB bearing set with loose balls and I also
have a bike that uses loose balls for the head bearings so I would
have to say that yes, loose balls are used in bicycles.

And like the length of a boat the larger number of "bearings" sounds
much bigger and more important :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 17, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 01:03:59 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

There are no roller bearings in an F&F
Torpedo coaster hub. You mistake the 5-roller
clutch for a bearing.

In the documentation, the small rods are
refered to as "lagerbult" which is literally
"bearing bolt".

:-)
Well in other languages that likely were derived from the same root
language as yours "lager" can mean beer or a camp surrounded by a
temporary fence, sometimes made by wagons :-) "Bolt Beer"?
:-)

Old July 31st 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 13:04:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/30/2017 3:45 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 06:17:05 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Doesn't it have two pedals?

Yes, that's what it says: Pedals - 2

OK, now it should be correct:

rear hub 3
crank/BB 2
pedals 2*2=4
front wheel 2
fork + 2
------
13

Hey, maybe bikes aren't that simple after all?

Buy the cheaper pedals that have no bearings at all and you are down
to 9 bearings.

Well, a "plain bearing" is still a bearing, and a pedal does have two
bearings of one sort or another. One is at the crank side, one is at
the outside.

I suppose it's marginally possible to have only one deep groove ball
bearing at the axle side. The pedal would be loaded as a cantilever
beam, and you'd be hoping that the deep groove would resist the bending
moment. But I don't know of any that are done that way.

You obviously aren't into cheap pedals :-) The local kids come by to
have their bikes fixed and some of the pedals are simply a molded
plastic shape with a hole through it. A single plain bearing, as it
were. The "axle", threaded into the crank, runs all the way through
the pedal with a pressed on clip on the outer end to hold it together.
Less then $3.00 a pair :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 17, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

In the documentation, the small rods are
refered to as "lagerbult" which is literally
"bearing bolt".

:-) Well in other languages that likely were
derived from the same root language as yours
"lager" can mean beer or a camp surrounded by
a temporary fence, sometimes made by wagons
:-)

Almost!

"Lager" is "beer" AND "bearing".

"Läger" is "camp". Yes, you can have one with
tents and/or wagons. I don't think the fence is
mandatory

Old July 31st 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

I've posted the file on my web page. I'm sure
it'll be the most popular section
since forever

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.txt

Everybody happy?

Old July 31st 17, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 08:50:11 +0700, John B.
wrote:

You obviously aren't into cheap pedals :-) The local kids come by to
have their bikes fixed and some of the pedals are simply a molded
plastic shape with a hole through it. A single plain bearing, as it
were. The "axle", threaded into the crank, runs all the way through
the pedal with a pressed on clip on the outer end to hold it together.
Less then $3.00 a pair :-)

Zero bearing pedals were released about 5 years ago as "Moto Urban
Bicycling Pedals". 55 Euros including VAT plus 9.5 Euro shipping:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6EDT3rbPJr4/maxresdefault.jpg
http://www.motobicycles.com/tl_files/images/artikel/pedal-wood-explode-black.jpg
http://www.motobicycles.com/moto-urban-pedal-en.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN8rILhNxm7GL_H80Y1IWbw
I'm tempted to try these because they might solve my problem of riding
while wearing construction boots.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D