Technology advances, to where exactly?

Old October 1st 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Technology advances, to where exactly?

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 8:00:47 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 06:54:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:
What I had envisioned was a sort of air bag type of protection with an
inflatable suit triggered by some sort of shock sensor. The resulting
inflated "armor" would look something like the "the Michelin Man"

You're a bit late to the party with that idea:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

There is a real air bag helmet, but at 300 Euros, it's a difficult
sale:
https://hovding.com/how-hovding-works/

In fact, given the popularity of the auto air bag systems I am amazed
that this over all (would one say all in compassing?) protection
scheme is not required by law in order to protect bicyclists.

It helps to have a workable product before it can be made mandatory.
Maybe contrive a few statistics which show that we'll all be dead
without an air bag helmet. Of course claiming that what few road
fatalities can be found would not have happened with an air bag
helmet. We're between elections right now, so there should be a
substantial number of unemployed and available political salespeople
to help with the promotion in congress. If it saves but one life.....

Personally, I'm wondering why nobody had contrived a bicycle with and
external frame in the shape of a roll cage. The roll cage frame would
be padded, so no helmet is required. Should it be involved in an
accident, it would simply bounce or roll down the road with the rider
never hitting the pavement. Something like this, but with only one
rider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfaF5y4Q-s4

https://www.rei.com/product/113566/f...ps-bike-helmet

Actually I might be interested in such a helmet. It appears that you don't have to wear anything but a cap while using that thing.
Old October 1st 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Oh how timely. Yesterday Marilyn Manson proved that guns are
dangerous and that one ought to wear a helmet when around them:

http://www.mtv.com/news/3038734/mari...tein-ballroom/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 1st 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 10/1/2017 11:49 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/1/2017 2:20 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 20:01:03 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
With a tiny bit larger hub generator it could have a really impressive
interior and exterior lighting system as well as a electrically heated
seat for those cooler days. Why, adding a rear hub generator might
even allow air conditioning.

The current belief is that conventional air conditioning takes way too
much power for a human to provide under any circumstance. I think there
might be a way around that but I've not tried it myself.

Lights, yes. But I doubt any heating is ever necessary. The bigger
problem seems to be keeping cool. On my normal bike, I always arrived at
work at least a little sweaty, even when the temperature was in the 30s
Fahrenheit.

The AC sounds like a real design challenge, though.

I don't have one and haven't ever had the opportunity to test-ride
one--but people with velomobiles say that keeping cool isn't a problem
at all, even on very hot days. The interior of a moving velomobile stays
as cool as the surrounding air and most of the perception of heat that
you get is from your head, which sticks up outside the bodywork in the
moving air stream.

Also Velomobiles also aren't normally fully-enclosed, as the humidity
from perspiration and breathing usually fogs up the inside of any
windshield pretty quick. The /racing/ ones are enclosed but they're not
practical for everyday use, for a number of reasons.

Old October 1st 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 14:04:12 -0500, DougC
wrote:

The current belief is that conventional air conditioning takes way too
much power for a human to provide under any circumstance. I think there
might be a way around that but I've not tried it myself.

Probably, but there are better ways to stay cool:
https://coolingclothing.shop/collections/evaporative-cooling
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/cooling-products.html
Basically, it's like wearing a swamp cooler. As the water evaporates
from the surface of the vest or hat, the temperature drops. The
material is PVA (poly vinyl acetate) which is quite porous which helps
it retain water for longer periods. You'll find PVA cooling cloths in
the headbands of better bicycle helmets.

One catch is that it works rather badly in high humidity environments,
where the air just can't hold any more water. It's also somewhat of a
problem in very low humidity environments where the water evaporates
so quickly, that you will quickly be too cold.

You can get a similar cooling effect by simply having the bicycle
spray you with a fine mist of water. As the water evaporates, you
become cooler. Water mist spray bottles are available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132271683794

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 2nd 17, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't know if it is used everywhere but large fans with a "water
spray" system attached so that they blow a sort of fine mist are
commonly used here in outdoor places where people accumulate. Think
"beer garden", and they also make what might be called "room air
conditioners" that are what used to be called "swamp coolers". The
advantage is that a proper air conditioner exhausts about as much heat
as they do cool air and just don't seem to work too well in an
enclosed environment. :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 2nd 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Given the light weight of Carbon Fiber it would probably be possible
to build a all enclosing bicycle - I envision a sort of horizontal
rain drop shape that would allow cycling in inclement weather as well
as protecting the rider from accidents.

Those exist. I've known guys who rode them, and we've had posters here
who rode them. See
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/...-tech-car.html

With a tiny bit larger hub generator it could have a really impressive
interior and exterior lighting system as well as a electrically heated
seat for those cooler days. Why, adding a rear hub generator might
even allow air conditioning.

Lights, yes. But I doubt any heating is ever necessary. The bigger
problem seems to be keeping cool. On my normal bike, I always arrived at
work at least a little sweaty, even when the temperature was in the 30s
Fahrenheit.

But I'm forever reading about the joys of winter cycling, the big
fuzzy jackets and the shoe covers, etc.

The AC sounds like a real design challenge, though.

Anything is possible. After all we are seeing e-bikes for people that
are too lazy to pedal. Why not a m-bike for those that want to have
air conditioning :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 2nd 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 8:27:12 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/bosch-p...ing-off-bikes/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

gyroscopic at balance points..with wheels on ground...energy energy

https://www.google.com/search?source...48.6xFqD1kLZSI

sems large companies advance patents prematurely covering ground ....having the idea daon mean production.

car mag reviewers...a suspect lot ....doahn deride the anti spin electronics amiable on 6/0 vehicles* .....MBan exception having an earl gaffe with the big SUV WHD

* eceptin they turn it off

Old October 2nd 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 8:20:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

I don't know if it is used everywhere but large fans with a "water
spray" system attached so that they blow a sort of fine mist are
commonly used here in outdoor places where people accumulate. Think
"beer garden", and they also make what might be called "room air
conditioners" that are what used to be called "swamp coolers".

We bought one of the pressurized bottle personal misters during one of our trips
to New Mexico. It worked well for my wife, who doesn't tolerate heat well.

It seems noticeably less effective here in humid Ohio. What's the typical
humidity levels where you see the water spray fans used? Maybe I should rig
up something like that for our sunny patio, for next summer.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 2nd 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:15:30 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 8:20:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

I don't know if it is used everywhere but large fans with a "water
spray" system attached so that they blow a sort of fine mist are
commonly used here in outdoor places where people accumulate. Think
"beer garden", and they also make what might be called "room air
conditioners" that are what used to be called "swamp coolers".

We bought one of the pressurized bottle personal misters during one of our trips
to New Mexico. It worked well for my wife, who doesn't tolerate heat well.

It seems noticeably less effective here in humid Ohio. What's the typical
humidity levels where you see the water spray fans used? Maybe I should rig
up something like that for our sunny patio, for next summer.

- Frank Krygowski

if the patio has unsurfaced concrete or brick watering after noon produces significant local temp reduction

poly 90% cotton 10% or 20 shirts when watered are cold but warmer+ than 100% poly dry .....select for conditions ...next year

weather in Flagstaff is AAA but DOWNWIND

Wheel technology John B. Techniques 11 August 31st 15 01:02 AM
Yet More Technology John B. Techniques 189 August 24th 15 01:25 AM
Advances in BICYCLING gear that made bicycle popular? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 25 June 24th 14 12:06 AM
New helmet technology? [email protected] Techniques 15 March 4th 12 04:41 AM
Millar line advances Donald Munro Racing 2 September 6th 06 07:49 AM