Today's Ride

Old May 5th 08, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Today's Ride

Up at 06.30 to cycle to East Croydon to catch the 07.51 train to
Gatwick Airport.

Met 15 other cyclists at 08.30 for the NCN21 (Waterlink Way) Ranger's
ride to Greenwich.

Rode to Rehill Station where we picked up another 25 or so cyclists
including the Regional (South East excl. London) Director of Sustrans.
I spent much time quizzing him about the state of Sustrans Paths and
the plethora of gates and other obstructions placed in the path of
cyclists.

"Not us", says he. "Landowners or local authorities put in the gates,
not us!" Apparently it is local authorities who build most of the
paths too. Sustrans plan or suggest the routes, and bit by bit
sections are upgraded, or changed from on-road to off-road as cash
becomes available to the local authority. Only small bits are built
by Sustrans, bridges, etc. And they never put in gates or other
obstructions to inhibit the free flow of bicycles.

In all I rode a total of 58 miles, including the bits before and after
NCN21. The sustrans route itself is about 80% off road, of variable
quality surface.

Next time I'll ride the whole route - Eastbourne to Greenwich or vice
versa.

Today's Ride Nigel Randell[_2_] UK 5 October 23rd 07 10:38 AM
Seen on today's ride Brian G UK 31 January 25th 06 12:58 PM
Today's ride Tim Hall UK 6 February 3rd 04 11:45 AM
Today's Ride Carol Hague UK 13 January 9th 04 12:32 PM
Today's Ride Carol Hague UK 57 December 3rd 03 04:23 PM