Seen on today's ride

Old January 22nd 06, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Seen on today's ride

There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
swans, roe deer, stoat ...
--
Brian G
Old January 22nd 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Brian G" wrote in message
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of foliage
and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier to spot.
Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute swans, roe
deer, stoat ...

Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
trolley...

Simon in east Hull's badlands.

Old January 22nd 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Brian G wrote:
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
swans, roe deer, stoat ...

I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
town.

Old January 22nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:

I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
town.

In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

If so I come across them regularly and have had a few minor contretemps with
them.

John B

Old January 22nd 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Brian G wrote:
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
swans, roe deer, stoat ...

Fog was so thick this afternoon when I went for my ride that I couldn't
see sod all...
Old January 22nd 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pete White wrote:
Brian G wrote:
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much
easier to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron,
kestrel, mute swans, roe deer, stoat ...

Fog was so thick this afternoon when I went for my ride that I couldn't
see sod all...

I saw lots of joggers out today - must be approaching another London
Marathon. Today was one of those damp cold days and I had to break out
the extra strength winter gloves.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old January 22nd 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John B wrote:
MartinM wrote:

I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
town.

In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

sort of; I think it's near Grain Farmers, a drop down into a valley.
I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
shot on the same Saturday every year.

If so I come across them regularly and have had a few minor contretemps with
them.

with guns? you're brave ;-)

Old January 22nd 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"MartinM" typed

Brian G wrote:
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
swans, roe deer, stoat ...

I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is just
as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically placed
around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same part of
the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know, I'm from a
town.

I didn't go anywhere but saw a large fox amble languidly from my
next-door neighbour's garden to mine and back again.

Who needs horses and hounds when the foxes are on the doorstep - literally?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 22nd 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message .com,
MartinM ') wrote:

John B wrote:
MartinM wrote:

I didn't see any wildlife of note on yesterday's 100km, which is
just as well as I did see about 50 shotgun wielding strategically
placed around a field, and a few with flags. It's always in the same
part of the ride every year. They call it sport. But what do I know,
I'm from a town.

In the Overton/Whitchurch/Micheldever area?

sort of; I think it's near Grain Farmers, a drop down into a valley.
I'd like to know what country animal pests they are that need to be
shot on the same Saturday every year.

Stockbrokers, I expect. Vermin.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.
Old January 22nd 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Mason wrote:

"Brian G" wrote in message
There are downsides to cycling in January, but the general lack of
foliage and vegetation in the countryside makes the wildlife much easier
to spot. Seen on today's 20 or so miler: Buzzard, heron, kestrel, mute
swans, roe deer, stoat ...

Seen on today's ride - burned out car, stolen moped, old supermarket
trolley...

Simon in east Hull's badlands.

Seagulls, pigeons, rabbits, deer, dead foxes, two thereof. All part of the
scenery on today's 80 miler in deepest South Hampshire.
--
Chris

Osborn's Law:
Variables won't; constants aren't.