MUni riding in the rain

Old July 5th 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JohnnyReggae

Default MUni riding in the rain

It's Saturday morning Cape Town winter, I'm staring out the window at
the rain bucketing down. Saturday morning is one of my MUni riding days
and have been looking forward to going out for a ride since my last MUni
ride on Tuesday. I was planning on going out and braving the bad
weather, but the rain comes in waves and at times seems alright and the
next it's pouring.

I don't mind the wet, it's the cold that bothers me more, and the very
slippery terrain. I've been trying to will myself to go out for the
last hour and a half, but seeing as I am already cold being indoors
it's really putting me off. There will be those that say they ride in
snow blizzards so what's the problem ? Well.... I suppose it's what
you're used to and in Cape Town the coldest we get is probably around 5
degrees Celsius, throw in the wet and the wind chill factor and it seems
it's going to be rather unpleasant.

Being out and then getting caught in the rain is one thing, but do any
of you purposefully venture out into bad weather to go riding ? Seeing
as rain and dodgy weather is forecast until next week Thursday I will
probably be doing it as I cannot wait until next week Friday to go for
another ride... just not today

So guess I'll be in front of the television watching the start of the
Tri-Nations rugby tournament, South Africa vs. New Zealand.. should be
a good game with it being billed as the Rugby World Cup Final that
should have been.

--
JohnnyReggae

"Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings."
Old July 5th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goldenchickenIV

JohnnyReggae wrote:

Being out and then getting caught in the rain is one thing, but do any
of you purposefully venture out into bad weather to go riding ? Seeing
as rain and dodgy weather is forecast until next week Thursday I will
probably be doing it as I cannot wait until next week Friday to go for
another ride... just not today

I would say it is the heat that makes riding in rain difficult. Rain
gear gives poor ventilation and the increase of body heat makes me
tired. But I agree that a rainy day always seems worse from inside a
window. Once you get home after the ride you won't have any regrets.

--
goldenchickenIV
Old July 5th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

JohnnyReggae wrote:

Being out and then getting caught in the rain is one thing, but do any
of you purposefully venture out into bad weather to go riding ?

Yes. I remember riding trials and street in the pouring rain. It's
rather fun, but takes a bit of getting used to, as everything is so
slippery and the water sloshing from the sky can be disorienting.

Also, I remember riding my uni through a huge puddle in a middle of a
field, back and forth, falling in, getting up and riding and falling in
again... My clothes could end the world thirst by the end of the
exercise.

Rain is fine.

--
ivan

Did you know that lighter flame smells like burnt nose
hair?entropy isn't what it used to be.
Old July 5th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

JohnnyReggae wrote:

Being out and then getting caught in the rain is one thing, but do any
of you purposefully venture out into bad weather to go riding ? Seeing
as rain and dodgy weather is forecast until next week Thursday I will
probably be doing it as I cannot wait until next week Friday to go for
another ride... just not today

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

MUni has been my salvation for keeping in shape during our rainy
season. MUni in the rain is fun, especially if you can ride somewhere
that's mostly under the trees.

--
tholub
Old July 5th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

Some terrain gets very hard when it gets wet. Rock face climbs are
really tough, and descents can get slippery. When your one wheel skids,
you're in trouble.

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick
Email/MSN:

riding in ths rain sp4rky-m4rky Unicycling 4 May 12th 07 06:59 PM
Riding in the rain beerwolf Australia 31 May 21st 06 03:50 AM
Riding in the wet & rain John Australia 2 September 6th 05 01:52 AM
Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas? slugbath Unicycling 14 November 25th 04 03:08 AM
4 wheels went Riding in the rain sarah.miller Unicycling 9 August 18th 04 05:04 PM