Slovenia for cycling;

Old June 19th 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Robert Norton

Default Slovenia for cycling;

I've just returned from a short family holiday to Lake Bled in Slovenia. it
struck me as a lovely country to cycle in. anyone toured there / Any tips on
routes- hilly preferably?
Rob

Old June 20th 09, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Robert Norton

Thanks, Jobst. Enjoyed your account of your Alpine 2004 tour. what a ride!
I've done all the big passes on the Pyrenees chain but not the other French
ones you did.
In a coach recently I crossed the Wuerzenpass with its 18% grades. It looked
impossible.
Rob
wrote in message
Robert Norton wrote:

I've just returned from a short family holiday to Lake Bled in
Slovenia. it struck me as a lovely country to cycle in. anyone
toured there / Any tips on routes- hilly preferably?

I hope you appreciated Marshall Tito's summer residence in the little
chalet on the north east part of the lake. All pf Slovenia is a great
scene, it being on the eastern end of the Alps, known as the
Karavankas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karawanken

I have bicycled there for many years on my trans-alpine rides from
France through Switzerland, Italy from which the Dolomites connect to
the Karavankas. The geology being more to the stone of the Dolomites
(white), lakes and streams of pure white rocks make the shoreline
indistinct as the rocky bed goes from white, through light green to
dark blue in a continuum. The edge of the water is hard to discern.

One of these lakes at the Italian border, in Barcis was abeautifully
picturesque scene but ENEL the national power administation saw fit to
dam the outflow that went through a fantastic narrow and deep gorge
with a road at the bottom, so all that is lost.

By all means, don't miss that region if you have the opportunity.

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/...the_Alps/2004/

There IS more. and it might compel you to do it!

Jobst Brandt

Old June 22nd 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On 19 Giu, 12:09, "Robert Norton" wrote:
I've just returned from a short family holiday to Lake Bled in Slovenia. it
struck me as a lovely country to cycle in. anyone toured there / Any tips on
routes- hilly preferably?
Rob

I was there last summer, staying at Bohini in the inner Triglav
National Park.
What a beautiful, and peaceful, place where to ride bike!

Sergio
Pisa

Event in Slovenia MoOoG Unicycling 0 August 24th 08 10:45 AM
Event in Slovenia Phil_on_uni Unicycling 0 August 23rd 08 09:44 PM
MUT in Slovenia nathan Unicycling 1 June 16th 07 01:30 PM
Heading off to Slovenia Coyoteboy Mountain Biking 0 August 17th 05 12:09 AM
MTB Slovenia Hm Hm Off Road 0 July 22nd 04 11:20 PM