Handlebar bag with light mount

Old August 3rd 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Handlebar bag with light mount

Recently, I gave away an old Topeak handlebar bag when I sold my touring bike. A nice feature of that bag was a removable clip that attached to the bottom of the bag, which you could mount a headlight on.

The current Topeak bag that's most similar, the Tourguide DX, does not have that feature.

Are there other handlebar bags that allow mounting a headlight?

-- Paul
Old August 3rd 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/3/2020 9:59 AM, wrote:
Recently, I gave away an old Topeak handlebar bag when I sold my touring bike. A nice feature of that bag was a removable clip that attached to the bottom of the bag, which you could mount a headlight on.

The current Topeak bag that's most similar, the Tourguide DX, does not have that feature.

Are there other handlebar bags that allow mounting a headlight?

-- Paul

Some Carradice bags have light mount on the bottom, see the photo at
https://www.carradice.co.uk/media/mod_hikashop_magiczoomplus/magictoolbox_cache/acc33107b3e11efde1786ed4f95ff0c1/5/0/501/original/3170468424/keswickg-10.jpg

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/originals-keswick-handlebar-bag

The Zimbale bag I just started using does have a light mount, but it's
on top. I don't think I would want to mount a light on the bottom, even
if possible. First of all, it brings it too close to the wheel. Second,
the bag is canvas and the bottom is not going to remain level when you
load stuff in, though I could put a piece of plastic in the bottom if I
wanted it to stay perfectly straight. Third, I like a handlebar mount
light that can be moved from bicycle to bicycle using extra mounts.
Old August 3rd 20, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/3/2020 4:36 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/3/2020 9:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

That image shows a red light facing forward, which is a bad idea. Ohio's
law (ORC 4511.56) says, in part, "red lamps and red reflectors shall not
be used on the front of the bicycle or electric bicycle and white lamps
and white reflectors shall not be used on the rear of the bicycle..." I
suspect most state laws are similar.

IME, a headlight works better under a handlebar bag rather than over it.
When mounted above, light spills and illuminates the top of the bag.
This is effectively light pollution; it reduces your nighttime vision.
Also, IME mounting a headlight at about 25" to 30" high gives the best
detection of rocks, potholes, etc.

But I wouldn't mount a headlight on something as floppy as a handlebar
bag's fabric. You should aim it precisely, which requires a solid mount,
as at
https://www.carradice.co.uk/media/mo...keswickg-8.jpg

One of my bikes has the headlamp mounted on the (custom) rigid frame of
the handlebar bag. That works well.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 18th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2020 4:36 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/3/2020 9:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

Depends on bike and bar bag, on my commute bike, which is a older MTB so
long stem narrow bars, the bar bag sits under the bar so very little spill
even from the low wide beam that my above bar mounted light produces.

On my other bikes I’d assume they wouldn’t play nice together.

Roger Merriman