Another reason why I should ride in the middle of the lane

Old June 27th 10, 12:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

Default Another reason why I should ride in the middle of the lane

On 2010-06-27, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:06:19 +1000
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
A century??

100 whatsits. In Oz it's 100km, in Yankland it's 100miles.

In *my* corner of Oz it's "something I might do one day if you
promised me *no hills*."

I thought 'bents did hills easily.

Sorry Zebee, just had to do it.

--
TimC
Yay! I have found the last bug bug bug bug bug bug bug
Old June 27th 10, 09:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

On 2010-06-27, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
A century??

100 whatsits. In Oz it's 100km, in Yankland it's 100miles.

In *my* corner of Oz it's "something I might do one day if you
promised me *no hills*."

I thought 'bents did hills easily.

Sorry Zebee, just had to do it.

I didn't say promise the 'bent no hills.

The bike is fine, the motor needs work!

Zebee
Old June 29th 10, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Jun 25, 4:20*pm, Dave Hughes wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:29:18 -0700, thefathippy wrote:
...and consider buying/making better lights? You can make right halogen
downlight based headlights quite cheaply. They might not look as flash
as some, but they work. Or buy some LED lights. Magicshine from
dealextreme.com or Geoman gear $100. Plenty of options available.

You can make DX based lights for even less if you have existing batteries,
but the MagicShine is seriously good value. I do seem to remember that the
current model Hippy Lights have a manufacturers logo though, ya sellout!

Oh yeah, halogen is dead, the new king is LED. But for those with
limited electrical skills (such as me) and limited funds (as used to
be me), halogens are really easy and cheap. I'd probably go the way
Theo suggested if I was making them these days (MR16 LED replacement).

And yes, I sold out. I could afford to buy brighter lights at a price
I couldn't build them for. As LEDs come down in price, and the ones I
bought go up in price (Ayup) homemade may make a return. But it will
be hard to beat Magicshine for value. They're cheaper than/as cheap as
the cost of a full set of homemade halogens once you factor in
batteries and charger - let alone labour.

Tony F
who never had a halogen go klink (colonel?) except once, when hippy
met track. Most times, the halogens survived better than the hippy.
Old July 1st 10, 09:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:17:19 -0700, thefathippy wrote:

Oh yeah, halogen is dead, the new king is LED. But for those with
limited electrical skills (such as me) and limited funds (as used to be
me),

US$13 for something that's brighter and lower power than a halogen. Given
a 20W halogen still runs for $5-10m, you'll make up the difference in
batteries (hint:27.0 seatposts make good housings).

Dave - who has a couple of current (boom-tish) model homebrews and a set
of Magicshines.

--
Dave Hughes -
"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to