Bolt sheared in my frame :(

Old May 17th 10, 10:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kathy and Steve

Default Bolt sheared in my frame :(

Well we have just had a wonderful 16 day off road trip in Far North Qld with
our panniers front and back and camping out each night. On the second last
day my back rack made a woeful sound and wammo I had sheared a bolt in the
frame. Thanks to one of the riders having a hose clamp I was able to fix it
and continue the ride. Now that I am home, what do I do with my frame ? I
can see the sheared bolt in it (sorry being a female that is the best
description I can give!) but dont know what to do with it.
any advice would be appreciated.
Oh by the way, there were 6 of us, aging from 50 to 66 who did the ride, all
fun, all hard, all mud, dust, water, corrugations etc etc and wow what a
wonderful time
Kathy

Old May 17th 10, 10:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 17 May 2010 09:08:01 GMT
Kathy and Steve wrote:
Well we have just had a wonderful 16 day off road trip in Far North Qld with
our panniers front and back and camping out each night. On the second last
day my back rack made a woeful sound and wammo I had sheared a bolt in the
frame. Thanks to one of the riders having a hose clamp I was able to fix it
and continue the ride. Now that I am home, what do I do with my frame ? I
can see the sheared bolt in it (sorry being a female that is the best
description I can give!) but dont know what to do with it.
any advice would be appreciated.

Getting broken bolts out is difficult.

The usual first start is a thing called an "easy-out" which is a hard
screw-like object with a left hand thread. You drill a pilot hole in
the stuck bolt, screw the easy-out in (backwards as the thread is
backwards) and then use it to wind the bolt out. If it works it is
great, if it breaks off it's just made the whole job a lot harder.
It's the only one you can probably do at home, but I don't really
recommend them unless it's your only hope.

If the bolt didn't break off sheer you can try cutting a slot in the
bit that's sticking out and using a large screwdriver to screw it out.
Lots of penetrating oil and an impact driver is usually the only way
with this technique.

If it is sheer, then last resort is a very sharp drill and a steady
hand (or a drill press and the frame well supported) to drill the bolt
away till only a small amount is left and it can be picked out of the
threads.

The good news is that if you have any mechanical engineers or decent
auto mechanics in town, they can do the job for you. Doesn't need a
bike shop. Anyone who has a rep for being a good "fixer" can do it.

If all else fails, find a dairy farmer, they can fix anything!

Zebee
Old May 17th 10, 10:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

Kathy and Steve wrote:
Well we have just had a wonderful 16 day off road trip in Far North Qld with
our panniers front and back and camping out each night. On the second last
day my back rack made a woeful sound and wammo I had sheared a bolt in the
frame. Thanks to one of the riders having a hose clamp I was able to fix it
and continue the ride. Now that I am home, what do I do with my frame ? I
can see the sheared bolt in it (sorry being a female that is the best
description I can give!) but dont know what to do with it.
any advice would be appreciated.
Oh by the way, there were 6 of us, aging from 50 to 66 who did the ride, all
fun, all hard, all mud, dust, water, corrugations etc etc and wow what a
wonderful time
Kathy

Is that where the pannier rank attaches just above the rear axle?

Is it the attachment behind the seat or rear stays?

I have never had a frame that had a bolt.

If it's the first, then the frame has an eyelet which is threaded to take a small
bolt. The bolt goes through a hole at the bottom of the pannier rack. Some
racks are more robust in how they attach.

If it's the second, there are many ways these work. Usually some kind of clamp.

If it's a broken bolt, usually easy to remove but needs a bit of experience.

If it really is a bolt which is part of the frame, there may be eyelet mounts of
some kind, but I don't know of any.

Terryc is usually good with jerry-rigged solutions, and even may have carried
an anvil...

Tomasso.

Old May 17th 10, 11:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

Kathy and Steve wrote:
Well we have just had a wonderful 16 day off road trip in Far North Qld with
our panniers front and back and camping out each night. On the second last
day my back rack made a woeful sound and wammo I had sheared a bolt in the
frame. Thanks to one of the riders having a hose clamp I was able to fix it
and continue the ride. Now that I am home, what do I do with my frame ? I
can see the sheared bolt in it (sorry being a female that is the best
description I can give!) but dont know what to do with it.
any advice would be appreciated.

Getting broken bolts out is difficult.

It's only hard if it's a blind hole. The eyelet should be straight through,
so with a bit of purchase and a small drill and easy-out or some kind
of "wedgie" screwdriver, it's no prob.

Zebee's other comments suit bigger bolts and moto problems...

Old May 17th 10, 11:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

Kathy and Steve wrote:
Well we have just had a wonderful 16 day off road trip in Far North Qld
with our panniers front and back and camping out each night. On the
second last day my back rack made a woeful sound and wammo I had sheared
a bolt in the frame. Thanks to one of the riders having a hose clamp I
was able to fix it and continue the ride. Now that I am home, what do I
do with my frame ? I can see the sheared bolt in it (sorry being a
female that is the best description I can give!) but dont know what to
do with it.
any advice would be appreciated.
Oh by the way, there were 6 of us, aging from 50 to 66 who did the ride,
all fun, all hard, all mud, dust, water, corrugations etc etc and wow
what a wonderful time
Kathy

The hose clamp is working, right?

Moike
(artful bodger)
Old May 17th 10, 11:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Mon, 17 May 2010 09:08:01 +0000, Kathy and Steve wrote:

I can see the sheared bolt in it

As I understand it the top of the bolt broke off and the stub(rest) is
still inside the nut part?

Is it a rough or smooth break?
Has it recessed below the level of the nut/ferrule?
If it has, it indicates that it could be loose in the thread and you
might be able to unscrew it easily either by gripping with a fine pliers
on a rough or protruding bit, or using a very strong magnet(unwind anti-
clockwise-looking at it)

Otherwise, you need a good drill bit about half the size of the bolt and
you drill into the end of the bolt, then use a "easy outs", reverse
threaded tapered thing {:-), which you insert into the hole you drill and
turn so it bites the side, grips the bolt stub and brings it out.

The third option is to have the ferrule and bolt stud sweated off the
frame and replaced.
Sometimes, if it wasn
Old May 17th 10, 09:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Moike wrote:

The hose clamp is working, right?

And its sharp edges may be initiating stress fractures in the
aluminium it contacts.

John
Old May 17th 10, 10:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:04:31 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

It's only hard if it's a blind hole. The eyelet should be straight
through, so with a bit of purchase and a small drill and easy-out or some
kind of "wedgie" screwdriver, it's no prob.

The only issue is if the seat stay is quite thin and it's going to block
on the other side, or if the ends are sealed so you'll end up with
something rattling around in the rear end of the bike. Neither is the end
of the world, but could be somewhat annoying.

Don't be afraid to leave it as is, unless there's a good reason not to. A
bit of old tube between the hose clamp and the stay can limit the paint
loss.

--
Dave Hughes -
"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what *can*

Old May 18th 10, 05:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo[_2_]

Kathy and Steve wrote:

[...]

All good advice. You can also get easy-outs which are square-tapered,
these are better than the reverse-threaded type. I also have a set of
screw-outs which, although specifically designed for stuffed Philips
screw heads, can also work and the smallest of my set can handle
screws down to 4mm. If you don't have the tools or the expertise, go
find a machine shop, as Zebee suggested. It'll be a five minute job
for them.

Theo

Theo
Old May 18th 10, 05:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo[_2_]

On May 18, 4:07*am, John Henderson wrote:
Moike wrote:
The hose clamp is working, right?

And its sharp edges may be initiating stress fractures in the
aluminium it contacts.

I still have a steel (Columbo) tube frame.

Theo

Sheared off pedal - How's that happen? HazeRider[_2_] Techniques 65 May 5th 08 06:48 AM
Help: Marin Top Stem Lug(?) Sheared [email protected] Techniques 0 October 31st 05 09:18 PM
frame sheared :( jtaylor Techniques 12 May 8th 05 11:22 PM
frame sheared :( Matthew Vernon UK 24 May 8th 05 11:22 PM
Maverick Sus: Anybody else sheared off a bolt? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 17 December 13th 04 03:32 AM