Bolt sheared in my frame :(

Old May 18th 10, 06:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo[_2_]

Default Bolt sheared in my frame :(

On May 18, 12:41*pm, theo wrote:

All good advice. You can also get easy-outs which are square-tapered,
these are better than the reverse-threaded type. I also have a set of
screw-outs which, although specifically designed for stuffed Philips
screw heads, can also work and the smallest of my set can handle
screws down to 4mm. If you don't have the tools or the expertise, go
find a machine shop, as Zebee suggested. It'll be a five minute job
for them.

Let me expand a little on the screw-outs. These are similar to a
standard left-hand threaded easy-out but incorporate a left handed
drill bit in the end and have a 1/4" hex drive. They are used in a
battery-operated drill/screwdriver driving in the reverse direction.
I've only used mine on screws so far and the work remarkably well.

Theo
Old May 18th 10, 10:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

John Henderson wrote:
Moike wrote:

The hose clamp is working, right?

And its sharp edges may be initiating stress fractures in the
aluminium it contacts.

John

Oh. Didn't think of that. Better replace the hose clamp with a cable tie.

Moike

;p
Old May 18th 10, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble[_3_]

Moike wrote:

John Henderson wrote:
Moike wrote:

The hose clamp is working, right?

And its sharp edges may be initiating stress fractures in the
aluminium it contacts.

John

Oh. Didn't think of that. Better replace the hose clamp with a cable tie.

Moike

Just to be safe, better put a few wraps of gaffa tape around the frame
first to protect it.

BTH

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Old May 18th 10, 01:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

BT Humble wrote:
Moike wrote:
John Henderson wrote:
Moike wrote:

The hose clamp is working, right?
And its sharp edges may be initiating stress fractures in the
aluminium it contacts.

John

Oh. Didn't think of that. Better replace the hose clamp with a cable tie.

Moike

Just to be safe, better put a few wraps of gaffa tape around the frame
first to protect it.

BTH

overkill.

Moike
(on my bike, it'd be overcapitalisation)
Old May 19th 10, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kathy and Steve

I am a girl Tomasso so I called it a bolt (hmmm is it a bolt?) It is where
the rear pannier rack attaches to the frame just above the derailer hanger -
I was lucky when it gave way that I didnt destroy hanger/derailer etc as I
was going down a pretty rough hill flat out!
Nothing is sticking out - the "bolt"sheared off right on the frame.
I am going to a machinist tomorrow to see what he can do - fingers crossed
that it is easy fix as I want to use my panniers on long trips, and I also
fear that a long term use of a hose clamp wether protected with rubber or
not will eventually do some damage, also the hose clamp makes the rack
uneven. (is that uneven or not square? My use of tech terms is very limited

Old May 19th 10, 12:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

Kathy and Steve wrote:
I am a girl Tomasso so I called it a bolt (hmmm is it a bolt?) It is where
the rear pannier rack attaches to the frame just above the derailer hanger -
I was lucky when it gave way that I didnt destroy hanger/derailer etc as I
was going down a pretty rough hill flat out!
Nothing is sticking out - the "bolt"sheared off right on the frame.
I am going to a machinist tomorrow to see what he can do - fingers crossed
that it is easy fix as I want to use my panniers on long trips, and I also
fear that a long term use of a hose clamp wether protected with rubber or
not will eventually do some damage, also the hose clamp makes the rack
uneven. (is that uneven or not square? My use of tech terms is very limited

If it's that eyelet and no-one can get the stub of the bolt out, you can drill it
out, even drill "too big". If the thread of the eyelet, you can use a bolt with
a nut to secure the bolt.

Tomasso.

PS:Machinists usually have creative solutions that are inspiring...
Old May 19th 10, 12:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Wed, 19 May 2010 21:03:33 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

PS:Machinists usually have creative solutions that are inspiring...

"Where's me big hammer?" inspires terror, true.

--
Dave Hughes -
"Did you know God had a plan for you?"

Old May 19th 10, 12:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

Dave Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 21:03:33 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

PS:Machinists usually have creative solutions that are inspiring...

"Where's me big hammer?" inspires terror, true.

That certainly inspires.

I was thinking of older machinists...
Old May 19th 10, 12:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 19 May 2010 21:26:20 +1000
Tomasso wrote:
Dave Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 21:03:33 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

PS:Machinists usually have creative solutions that are inspiring...

"Where's me big hammer?" inspires terror, true.

That certainly inspires.

I was thinking of older machinists...

THey are the ones who figure they are too old to swing hammers on cold
steel and get the gas axe out.

Zebee
Old May 19th 10, 02:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

Tomasso wrote:
Dave Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 21:03:33 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

PS:Machinists usually have creative solutions that are inspiring...

"Where's me big hammer?" inspires terror, true.

That certainly inspires.

I was thinking of older machinists...

THey are the ones who figure they are too old to swing hammers on cold
steel and get the gas axe out.

:-).

P'raps.

But I was considering inventive people. Big ideas, no damage.

Seen it. Pretty kool.

Sheared off pedal - How's that happen? HazeRider[_2_] Techniques 65 May 5th 08 06:48 AM
Help: Marin Top Stem Lug(?) Sheared [email protected] Techniques 0 October 31st 05 08:18 PM
frame sheared :( jtaylor Techniques 12 May 8th 05 11:22 PM
frame sheared :( Matthew Vernon UK 24 May 8th 05 11:22 PM
Maverick Sus: Anybody else sheared off a bolt? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 17 December 13th 04 02:32 AM