Curiosity Killed the Cat

Old January 13th 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Curiosity Killed the Cat

On 1/12/2017 5:00 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/12/2017 3:31 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 1:22:14 PM UTC-8,
wrote:
Frank,

With all of this talk about heating the bottom bracket to get it
apart why didn't you explain and show the calculation that
demonstrated that the steel cup and the aluminum bottom bracket tube
hung on an aluminum frame would have a difference in expansion of a
couple of thousandths of an inch max even if you COULD get the
aluminum to heat faster than the steel cup?

After all, if you blow hot air down there the steel cup with a much
lower conduction rate would be getting warmer than the frame with
aluminum having between four and six times the heat conduction of
hardened steel and there only being a 44% difference in expansion
rates to begin with.

This is something that's right up your alley while we had all these
things from using a hair dryer to a welding torch trying to light the
frame on fire.

Since an 80 C warming difference in expansion would only be a couple
mils and what normally jams these cups in is rust expansion from
water leaking down the seat tube and onto the threads that are
slightly in the open part of the seat tube and bottom bracket
interface, this expansion can easily be twice or more what the
expansion could ever achieve even if you could get the bottom bracket
significantly warmer than the cup.

Or where you sitting back and enjoying the show? This assault on poor
Ted with everything from lighting his frame on fire to pounding it
into flakes with a hammer was pretty entertaining as long as you
weren't Ted unaware that most of the help here isn't since the exit
of Jobst and Sheldon.

How does the title of this thread relate to the subject?

Long leadup to:

Mrs Schrodinger asked, "What have you done to the cat? She looks
half-dead."

:-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 13th 17, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/12/2017 4:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I didn't (and don't) find it all that interesting.

Anyway, if I were to try heating for the differential expansion, I
wouldn't do it the way you describe. And I wouldn't do it until trying
quite a few other techniques.

FWIW, I liked the Sheldon tool that Sir pointed out. And Blaster. With
a bench vise. But YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old January 13th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
news
On 1/12/2017 4:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Agreed - for me; heating it is pretty much a last resort.

Unlike Tom - I learn from my mistakes.

Old January 13th 17, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

AMuzi considered Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:00:13 -0600
the perfect time to write:

[...]

Well, there's some good news, and some bad news.
Old January 14th 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:25:58 +1100, James wrote:
On 13/01/17 09:00, AMuzi wrote:

Long leadup to:

Mrs Schrodinger asked, "What have you done to the cat? She looks
half-dead."

Which half?

I am not certain of that.
Old January 14th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 13/01/17 09:00, AMuzi wrote:

Long leadup to:

Mrs Schrodinger asked, "What have you done to the cat? She looks
half-dead."

Which half?

I am not certain of that.

But we know the velocity.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 14th 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

AMuzi wrote in news
wrote:
On 13/01/17 09:00, AMuzi wrote:

Long leadup to:

Mrs Schrodinger asked, "What have you done to the cat? She looks
half-dead."

Which half?

I am not certain of that.

But we know the velocity.

Is it African or European?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 14th 17, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

AMuzi wrote in news
wrote:
On 13/01/17 09:00, AMuzi wrote:

Long leadup to:

Mrs Schrodinger asked, "What have you done to the cat? She looks
half-dead."

Which half?

I am not certain of that.

But we know the velocity.

Is it African or European?

Laden or unladen?

--
duane
Old January 15th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
On 13/01/17 09:00, AMuzi wrote:

Long leadup to:

Mrs Schrodinger asked, "What have you done to the cat? She looks
half-dead."

Which half?

I am not certain of that.

But we know the velocity.

Good, but for some reason I can't locate the cat.

OT Curiosity. atriage[_6_] Racing 0 November 25th 11 07:43 PM
Tensiometer curiosity richard Techniques 22 April 2nd 07 04:12 AM
out of curiosity... adypops Unicycling 23 April 7th 06 10:34 AM
Curiosity- why chain on right? Tom Weaver Techniques 22 August 5th 05 02:53 PM
Another curiosity question Tom Weaver Techniques 15 June 8th 05 12:00 AM