Paris-Nice widescreen?

Old March 11th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Paris-Nice widescreen?

Hi All,

I just watched the prologue on Eurosport. It looks like the feed is in
16:9 but Eurosport has cropped it to 4:3. Does anyone know if
Eurosport broadcasts in 16:9 on some other freq? I just got a 16:9 tv
and it's a ****er not being able to see the split times!

Or are there non-coded transmissions from French tv? What sat?

Joseph

Old March 11th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 11, 7:06 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
wrote:
Hi All,

I just watched the prologue on Eurosport. It looks like the feed is in
16:9 but Eurosport has cropped it to 4:3. Does anyone know if
Eurosport broadcasts in 16:9 on some other freq? I just got a 16:9 tv
and it's a ****er not being able to see the split times!

Or are there non-coded transmissions from French tv? What sat?

Joseph

Here's what probably happens. The camera guys on the motos set their
cameras to 16:9 (after reading the camera manual in the hotel room the
night before and thinking it would look cool). But they are too stupid
to realize 16:9 in most cameras is really just 4:3 that is just cropped
more (it's not true 16:9). This would cause people with 4:3 television
sets to see a screen with thick black borders at the top and bottom. So
some producer in the control room who himself isn't any brighter than
the camera guys on the motos decides they don't want that, so they crop
the already cropped 16:9 back to 4:3, losing yet even more information.

Magilla

It was the on-screen graphics with timing and rider info that are
cropped. So I think the feed from French TV is wide (moto and control
room), but the Eurosport clowns crop it. But there was also some quite
pixelated action from some of the motos, so who knows what is going
on.

Joseph

Paris-Nice Robert Chung Racing 5 March 11th 07 05:24 PM
Paris Nice Dan Gregory Racing 31 March 9th 07 04:52 PM
Paris - Nice Highlights Dave Larrington UK 2 March 17th 06 08:11 PM
Thanks - Paris-Nice - Raket jj General 0 March 11th 05 09:55 PM
Paris-Nice OLN Sunday jj General 4 March 7th 05 10:43 PM