Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

Old March 13th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Someobody's signature is on the race permit, jackass. Who was
responsible for getting the liability insurance? There has to be a
person who did this. That person is the promoter by definition.

So you're suggesting what exactly? That the promoter should indemnify
all race participants, and their guests, at any location and time?
How does a race promoter's liability insurance cover what happens in a
restaurant parking lot? I thought you were supposed to be some hot
shot racer. How can you be so clueless about the logistics?

Pardon me while I proceed to ignore you until you have something
sensible to say.

Old March 13th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:03:14 -0400, MagillaGorilla
wrote:

Someobody's signature is on the race permit, jackass. Who was
responsible for getting the liability insurance? There has to be a
person who did this. That person is the promoter by definition.

Things don't just happen, ****face.

Just a show of hands - who here has seen parking lot security for what
appears to have been a low to medium level event? I've been an
official at DC and Baltimore events and been on the support staff for
a couple more, and outside of the really high end events, I've never
seen any security for a parking lot. Hell, the budget gets eaten up
with the metal barriers, police on the course and medical and the
volunteer staffing barely covers the corners, so where is it coming
from anyway - telling the local Hells Angels they can beat up on some
bicyclists if they do security free?

That common up Phillie-New york way? The security, not the Hells
Angels beating up on bicyclists...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 13th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

John Neil wrote:
Look who's the organ donor now? Read the first sentence. "At dinner." It
didn't happen at the race. The promoter isn't responsible in the least.
The only thing the promoters are at fault for is putting on a HUGE race that
went off without a hitch. It did not happen at the race.

It _was_ an incredibly smoothly run event. Even the weather
cooperated.

Are you kidding me? The OP was just trying to express some compassion
because he heard something bad happened to someone. I didn't say I was
astonished - and it was my own car. Did either the OP or I act as if we
were surprised?

John, don't let the idjit bother you. The guy pops up when his meds
kick in or wear off, he makes a lot of noise to get some attention,
then he disappears for a while. Sad really.

I have an idea. Why not start your own restitution fund? People
could donate money through PayPal or whatever to help you guys get
back on your feet. I'd kick in a few bucks - not for the Ipod, but
for the team kits and such. Just a thought.

Old March 13th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

RicodJour wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Someobody's signature is on the race permit, jackass. Who was
responsible for getting the liability insurance? There has to be a
person who did this. That person is the promoter by definition.

So you're suggesting what exactly? That the promoter should indemnify
all race participants, and their guests, at any location and time?
How does a race promoter's liability insurance cover what happens in a
restaurant parking lot? I thought you were supposed to be some hot
shot racer. How can you be so clueless about the logistics?

Pardon me while I proceed to ignore you until you have something
sensible to say.

The promoter should have warned everyone never to leave their bikes or
valuables in their cars unattended anywhere near the city because it
would likely be stolen.

Philly and its close vicinity has a notorious property theft reputation
that should have been conveyed to unwitting race participants.

Magilla
Old March 13th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

wrote:

[...]

If they didn't provide security then they should have put a warning on
the race flyer so at least people could have taken some precautions.

"WARNING: Philadelphia and the vicinity has a notrious reputation for
property theft and car break-ins. Do not leave valuables such as bikes
or laptops unattended or in your car."

-------

There, I just gave you the solution. Instead, the promoter was so
faggoty excited about going in circles around a filthy brown river, he
forgot to tell participants about the only things that really mattered.

All that experience officiating bike races, Curtis, and you can't even
come up with a simple solution like a warning on the race flyer?

Magilla
Just someone with a large banana
Old March 13th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:47:51 -0400, MagillaGorilla
wrote:

All that experience officiating bike races, Curtis, and you can't even
come up with a simple solution like a warning on the race flyer?

We read them, we pass them, but we don't write them.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 13th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

John Neil wrote:

Look who's the organ donor now? Read the first sentence. "At dinner." It
didn't happen at the race. The promoter isn't responsible in the least.
The only thing the promoters are at fault for is putting on a HUGE race that
went off without a hitch. It did not happen at the race.

Are you kidding me? The OP was just trying to express some compassion
because he heard something bad happened to someone. I didn't say I was
astonished - and it was my own car. Did either the OP or I act as if we
were surprised?

jn

Dear College,

First of all, answer this question you smart-aleck college student: Were
you or were you not aware that theft and car break-ins in Philadelaphia
and the vicinity were astronomically greater than in 95% of the rest of
the country? If the answer is no, then the warning would have gone a
long way to preventing this theft.

And if the answer is yes, then why the **** did you leave your valuables
in your car and your bike on your roof while you ate dinner and talked
about "racing" around a dirty river? You don't think a pair of bolt
cutters would cut through that cable that secured your bikes? The only
reason your bikes weren't stolen is because someone probably interrupted
the crime or the thieves didn't have anywhere to put the bikes, or they
were on foot and couldn't ride while carrying the rest of the stuff they
ripped off from you.

So no, I'm not "kidding you." Your insurance agent should give you a
lecture about what a jackass you are for using your car as a Macy's
storefront window display.

Put that on your resumé, College Boy.

Magilla
Old March 13th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

RicodJour wrote:

John Neil wrote:

[...]

Better question.... Why should everyone else's car insurance rates go up
because of this guy's stupidity for leaving valuables in his car
unattended while he went to dinner to talk about racing around a dirty
river?

If he starts that Paypal fund, I will tell Paypal to shut it down
because his stupidity constitutes fraud.

Magilla
Paypal SafeHarbor Customer Representative
Old March 13th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

wrote:

All that experience officiating bike races, Curtis, and you can't even
come up with a simple solution like a warning on the race flyer?

We read them, we pass them, but we don't write them.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Okay, objection noted. But the promoter had an obligation to warn
people that they were stepping into the Lion's Den when they came to Philly.

The promoter and teams who race the Commerce Bank Philly race take
extreme precuations for the prevention of theft including the hiring of
a 24 hour security guard to watch over team vehicles and getting the
race hotel to allow them to take their bikes into their hotel room.

What was this Philly Phlyer promoter thinking? I bet you there were 20
thefts at this race we didn't even hear about.

Magilla
Walmart Security Consultant
Old March 13th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

MagillaGorilla wrote:
John Neil wrote:

[...]

Your logic is faulty. Most people don't look to a race organizer for
their off-site security. I also don't expect the promoter to provide
a full Wiki workup of a city, including restaurant ptomaine and
salmonella statistics. I don't expect them to point out spotty cell
phone coverage with admonitions to avoid breaking down in those areas,
mortality rates at local hospitals or anything other than to put on a
smoothly run race. They did. Well, except for the toilets.

Your "statistics" are faulty. I am sure that John is not aware that
the theft in Philadelphia is "astronomically greater than in 95% of
the rest of the country" as I'm sure that he has no idea WTF you
mean. It's impossible to parse that into something comprehensible.
In other words, you palm-jobbing sphincter swinger, Philadelphia's
_property_ crime rate is not "astronomically higher than 95% of the
country". Since John was not mugged, raped, murdered, etc.,
Philadelphia's woeful violent crime statistics don't apply. For that
he should count his blessings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_i...s#Large_cities

Some people have enough knowledge to be dangerous. You have enough
knowledge to aspire to be an idiot one day. Try harder and stop
huffing.

I ripped my new 661's! forrestunifreak Unicycling 6 April 26th 05 05:46 AM
my bike got ripped off. Scott Ehardt Social Issues 7 January 8th 05 08:08 PM
Ripped!!! Steve McGinty Racing 0 September 4th 04 09:44 AM
eBay -- where to get ripped off Mcget Marketplace 3 February 15th 04 03:00 AM
Am I being being ripped off here? Ray Vaughan UK 12 January 8th 04 01:15 AM